911 Call by UFC vet Gerald Strebendt (shooting)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Don't know how many of you all remember the story, but Gerald got into an road rage incident out in Oregon and ended up shooting and killing an older gentleman. He ended up pleading guilt to Criminally Negligent Homicide and was sentenced to 4 yrs 10 months in prison (he'll likely do 30-36 months).

Here's the story: Gerald Strebendt pleads guilty to criminally negligent homicide in Springfield roadway shooting | Local | The Register-Guard | Eugene, Oregon

Here's the 911 call:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzeUL7yNvCg&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
Thanks for this, I don't remember it at all......Can't tell what the pre crash data is saying (if relevant to this case at all), but the polygraph seems to indicate he felt threatened and wasn't bullshit-ing so who knows what really happened here. He is or was UFC grade fighter so you would think he wouldn't shoot unless he felt he had to?

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Crazy shit...Now I'm gonna read the article..

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015
From the article:

"Lane presented evidence that Strebendt had been involved in several confrontations with other motorists in recent years, and said during one of the hearings that at least one witness had seen Strebendt’s pickup chase down Crofut’s sport utility vehicle after the SUV had made an illegal right turn onto Bob Straub Parkway.

Strebendt then allegedly pulled in front of Crofut’s vehicle and stopped."

If this is what happened, sounds like Gerald did something incredibly stupid in trying to play vigilante traffic cop. Did he think the other guy was going to get out of the car and apologize for making an illegal turn?

I seem to remember reading something a while back that indicated they knew each other, but I'm not seeing that in this article. Sounds they were strangers, which makes the entire episode an easily avoidable tragedy.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
Sounds like he sought out that confrontation and then shot him. Disgusting.

teamquestnorth

Lindland never cheated
Jan 27, 2015
Yeah who wouldn't be pissed if someone pulled in front of you then slammed on their breaks?

The murder victim was probably heated and rightly so

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Gerald is/was a friend of mine and I've cornered him in a couple of fights. I don't want to talk about his private life but he can be a somewhat emotionally fragile guy. I've never seen him lose his temper but I've seen him struggle to manage pressure. It's a terrible situation

Oregon MMA

Lurker
Jun 21, 2015
Yeah who wouldn't be pissed if someone pulled in front of you then slammed on their breaks?

The murder victim was probably heated and rightly so
The "victim" was the one who slammed on the brakes and stopping in the middle of the road, causing Gerald to almost rear end him. The drunk actually stopped in the middle of the road in an act of road rage. There was an eyewitness that saw this. He was in front of them, then drove off, and contacted the police later. The drunk then rammed Gerald's truck - on purpose! Watch the video and listen to the 911 call. If you act the way this drunk did, it's a recipe for getting shot in Springfield, Oregon. Read the facts here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzeUL7yNvCg
"Gerald Strebendt shot and killed a man who slammed on his brakes in the middle of the roadway. Gerald Strebendt took evasive maneuvers and avoided the collision. An eye-witness in front of the vehicles confirms."

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Thanks for the input Oregon MMA @Oregon MMA and welcome to the forums. Happy to have you. I see by your SN that you're likely more familiar with the situation than most, so we certainly appreciate you being able to add more details. I posted this because I was a member of another forum when it happened, and Gerald was immediately labeled by many as guilty. This was before all of the facts came out. Therefore, I thought people should be able to hear the 911 call and know learn more of the facts. Like a lot of people charged in incidents like this, where they are claiming self defense, I am assuming Gerald pleaded to a lesser charge, because of the risk of being found guilty of murder if it went to trial?

teamquestnorth

Lindland never cheated
Jan 27, 2015
The "victim" was the one who slammed on the brakes and stopping in the middle of the road, causing Gerald to almost rear end him. The drunk actually stopped in the middle of the road in an act of road rage. There was an eyewitness that saw this. He was in front of them, then drove off, and contacted the police later. The drunk then rammed Gerald's truck - on purpose! Watch the video and listen to the 911 call. If you act the way this drunk did, it's a recipe for getting shot in Springfield, Oregon. Read the facts here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzeUL7yNvCg
"Gerald Strebendt shot and killed a man who slammed on his brakes in the middle of the roadway. Gerald Strebendt took evasive maneuvers and avoided the collision. An eye-witness in front of the vehicles confirms."
Thanks for the clarification. I was confused after seeing the video. Thought it was the other way around.

Are you from the Eugene-Springfield area?

Oregon MMA

Lurker
Jun 21, 2015
Thanks for the clarification. I was confused after seeing the video. Thought it was the other way around.

Are you from the Eugene-Springfield area?
No, but this was a hot topic all over Oregon in the MMA community and gun rights community. Gerald drove a big black truck. The car in the video is slamming on the brakes and stopping in the middle of the road. Gerald avoids the crash (maybe he was following too closely or tailgating and provoked the guy, who knows) and then stops. Then the guy rams him on purpose or because too drunk to know better. Who knows. It was wasn't gerald's job to give the guy a breathalyzer.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
It doesn't seem like Gerald was guilty of that crime.
I'd like to know the nature of his representation, IE; public or private defense.