General A couple of hawks came to my house to hunt

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
So, we have a bit of a rat infestation out back, and some hawks have been swooping in to help us get rid of them...

Goshawk.jpg
Hawk.jpg

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
The hawks got a couple today. It was like a nature show. I'm going to put some stuff out tomorrow that should finish them off.
poisoning the rodents may poison the hawks FYI

there is a killer that only takes out the rodents...Rat-X or something

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
poisoning the rodents may poison the hawks FYI
It's not poison per se- basically I'm making a mixture of oats, m&ms, flour and plaster of paris. Rats eat that shit and it draws all the water out of their bodies into their stomachs and hardens. Takes a couple hours. They should die in the burrows.

Judobill

First 100
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
The hawks got a couple today. It was like a nature show. I'm going to put some stuff out tomorrow that should finish them off.
My wife used to work on a horse farm. They had rats. Big, fucking, grain fed bastards. I would pick them off with a pellet gun all day long. Good times.

M

member 3289

Sharp-shinned hawk in top photo.Cooper's hawk in bottom photo.

We have Cooper's Hawks in Florida but I don't believe I've ever seen a sharp-shinned.

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
Sharp-shinned hawk in top photo.Cooper's hawk in bottom photo.

We have Cooper's Hawks in Florida but I don't believe I've ever seen a sharp-shinned.
Is it a Sharp Shinned? We were trying to figure it out. I've never seen a hawk before. It looked like a Goshawk when I looked it up. Those red eyes are fucking menacing!

M

member 3289

Is it a Sharp Shinned? We were trying to figure it out. I've never seen a hawk before. It looked like a Goshawk when I looked it up. Those red eyes are fucking menacing!
I think you've said you're in the Portland area, right? When I uploaded the photo to iNaturalist and changed the location to Portland, there were only 3 options that could have been a match using their AI recognition - sharp-shinned, Cooper's, and Merlin.

Feathers are too dark for a Cooper's and it's too large for a Merlin. Plus this comparison photo has me convinced. Note the red eyes, black beak, and striped pattern in the tail feathers:

Screenshot_20210411-001912_iNaturalist.jpg

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
I think you've said you're in the Portland area, right? When I uploaded the photo to iNaturalist and changed the location to Portland, there were only 3 options that could have been a match using their AI recognition - sharp-shinned, Cooper's, and Merlin.

Feathers are too dark for a Cooper's and it's too large for a Merlin. Plus this comparison photo has me convinced. Note the red eyes, black beak, and striped pattern in the tail feathers:

View attachment 32963
Well I think you're dead-on. That looks just like my girl.

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
Ew gross

no from this forum
LOL I'm kidding.

I'm still working on why exactly Portland sucks. Clearly the homeless and drug problem is off the rails, but I'm not 100% sure why that is and how it came to be. I suspect it's due to a devil's threeway between the NIMBY-uber-liberal commission-style city government, the mayor's relationship with developers, and the corrupt police department.

It's not "on fire" per se, but it's a shithole for sure. Homeless, drugs, graffiti and trash are literally everywhere. We moved here from the Bay Area in 2017 at the height of the CA exodus to PDX. We bought a house in 2018. We're waiting to see how the city recovers from COVID this year and next to determine if we stay long-term. I don't regret moving, but I don't like living here.

HEATH VON DOOM

Remember the 5th of November
Oct 21, 2015
Why do you live where there is a rat infestation? Do you just throw your garbage in a alley behind your house and leave it?