A.J and Antonio McKee on same card

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Hong Kong Phooey

Spreading The Coronavirus one Corona at a Time
Feb 12, 2015
LOS ANGELES – The very nature of sports, where even the most elite athlete’s prime is a fleeting thing, makes memorable inter-generational moments few and far between.

It was an undeniably thrilling moment when Mike Yastrzemski of the San Francisco Giants hit a home run last week at Fenway Park, where his Hall of Fame grandfather, Carl Yastrzemski, patrolled left field for the Boston Red Sox for 24 years. But that came 36 years after the elder Yastrzemski hung up his cleats.

If you narrow the gap to parent and child, you have to go back 29 years to find an event that’s stood the test of time. On Sept. 14, 1990, Ken Griffey Sr. and his Hall of Famer son, Ken Jr., hit back-to-back home runs for the Seattle Mariners in a game against the then-California Angels.

On Saturday night, Antonio and A.J. McKee of Long Beach, Calif., will look to make a little Griffey-like magic of their own. The duo will become the first father-son duo in major mixed martial arts history to compete on the same card, when both enter the cage at Bellator 228 at The Forum in nearby Inglewood.

The elder McKee (29-6-2 MMA, 0-0 BMMA), 49, returns from a five-year retirement to face William Sriyapai (13-8 MMA, 0-0 BMMA) in a 165-pound undercard bout. Then, on the main card, the younger McKee (14-0 MMA, 14-0 BMMA) will face Georgi Karakhanyan (28-9-1 MMA, 6-7 BMMA) in a featherweight grand prix opening bout.

And father and son believe if they can both score knockouts on the card, then they’ll create MMA’s equivalent of a Griffey moment.

“Man, that would be iconic,” A.J. McKee told MMA Junkie at Wednesday’s Bellator 228 open workouts. “That’s legendary. That goes with his legacy of being eight years undefeated and doing what he does best: kicking ass, being mercenaries.”

McKee duo relishes chance to create 'iconic' Griffey-like father-son moment at Bellator 228

Last edited:

Hong Kong Phooey

Spreading The Coronavirus one Corona at a Time
Feb 12, 2015
The event on the rooftop of Viacom’s Hollywood headquarters was a great idea on paper, with the iconic Hollwood sign in the hills as a backdrop. In practice, it turned out to be a 90-degree September day with hot winds blowing. Most of the participating fighters put in just long enough of a show to give cameramen their clips before doing interviews in the shade and then moving on with their days.

Not so with the McKees. The duo took the full allotted time putting in a real workout on the mat. Afterwards, the elder McKee was in no rush to put his shirt back on, clearly wanting to show off a physique that most men half his age will never achieve on their best days.

The elder McKee has been there, done that, and stayed relevant and in shape through his Body Shop gym, which is perhaps why he’s finally at ease after a career in which he fought hard and well, but never quite got that elusive big break.

“Honestly there’s no pressure this time, and that’s kind of scary,” Antonio McKee said. “If I lose, I can go use that as an advantage in the corner with him and say, ‘Hey, I lost, and you’ve gotta bring home the bacon.’ If I win, then I still say the same thing: ‘Hey, son, I won. You better win; you can’t let this happen.’ So I feel like it’s working itself out. It is what it is.”

“I’m scared because I’m not angry for the first time in a fight. I’m not mad, I’m not pissed off, (no) animosity,” he continued. “I’m not going on adrenaline. Well no, I’m just calm. Everything is great, my son is 14-0, my gym is successful, my guy is undefeated. This is almost too easy.”

RELATED

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I was there when Griffey jr. & Sr. played their first game together.
Coincidentally, I'll be there for this as well.
I was also there for brother vs. brother in "Phoenix Jones" vs. Caros Fodor.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
I was there when Griffey jr. & Sr. played their first game together.
Coincidentally, I'll be there for this as well.
I was also there for brother vs. brother in "Phoenix Jones" vs. Caros Fodor.
All you needed was Pride Bushido 1 for the ultimate family pack.

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
I'm going to check this one out live.

Will report back :)

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
this is trippy for me I was training at bodyshop fitness antonio gym for a few months in 2008 in lakewood,ca A.J was a kid it is trippy to see him as an adult now fighting with his dad who I also met a few times. that school is no longer there it used to be on south and bellflower.