General A question for the men of the forum

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Spinning a bearing. Fishing an engine out of a junkyard car and wanting to swap in more stout parts.
so you remove all of the reciprocating assembly and valvetrain, hot tank the block, and reassemble it with new gear?
or you pull the main caps, and yank the bottom end, and replace all the bearings and maybe the rings...assuming the crank bore doesn't need to be align-honed.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
so you remove all of the reciprocating assembly and valvetrain, hot tank it, and reassemble it with new gear?
or you pull the main caps, and yank the bottom end, and replace all the bearings and maybe the rings...assuming the crank bore doesn't need to be align-honed.
Could you just get to the point? You asked a question, and got a straight forward answer.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Could you just get to the point? You asked a question, and got a straight forward answer.
i just asked you a straight-forward question. When you get a spun bearing, are you stripping the block to bare metal and hot tanking it, building the motor with all new parts from the pan to air cleaner?

or are you replacing what broke and what's easy to get at while you're in there?

because I consider the former a rebuild, and the latter a repair. And I can't think of a shop or engine builder who doesn't use the words to mean the same thing. Just weird that you do it for a living, and I'm trying to understand the disconnect.

Engine Builder magazine with an article on how to break in your motor after a rebuild, from 2018.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
i just asked you a straight-forward question. When you get a spun bearing, are you stripping the block to bare metal and hot tanking it, building the motor with all new parts from the pan to air cleaner?

or are you replacing what broke and what's easy to get at while you're in there?

because I consider the former a rebuild, and the latter a repair. And I can't think of a shop or engine builder who doesn't use the words to mean the same thing. Just weird that you do it for a living, and I'm trying to understand the disconnect.

Engine Builder magazine with an article on how to break in your motor after a rebuild, from 2018.
So it looks like they are doing that on an older motor?

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
i called my dad, we just had a good laugh about replacing a head gasket or a main bearing and calling it a 'rebuild'.

i'm still laughing

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
any of the pro mechanics know how to release the track from the seat frame on a Toyota Sienna 2nd row seat?

i swear there's a button that I can't find, but I've got the thing basically apart.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
any of the pro mechanics know how to release the track from the seat frame on a Toyota Sienna 2nd row seat?

i swear there's a button that I can't find, but I've got the thing basically apart.
You're the one schooling the professionals.....I'm surprised it's not out already.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
i just asked you a straight-forward question.
No, you're doing some sort of bush league interrogation in an attempt to have a "gotcha" moment.

because I consider the former a rebuild, and the latter a repair. And I can't think of a shop or engine builder who doesn't use the words to mean the same thing.
You also don't work in the profession, and call engines "motors" so...

that's called a rattle-can rebuild
First time I've ever heard that term. Has it occurred to you maybe you're a backyard mechanic?

i called my dad, we just had a good laugh about replacing a head gasket or a main bearing and calling it a 'rebuild'.

i'm still laughing
Well, at least now we're at the center of the shrubery maze. I'm glad you feel empowered.

Lol.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
BeardOfKnowledge @ConorMcGregorsBeard
technically, I did 'work in the business' from when I was 15-17. In an actual garage, doing work for paying customers. I also built a bunch of cars on nights and weekends with friends during that period...and I quoted you a couple articles from professional publications with highly-reputable experts talking about engine rebuilds and break-ins. I'm not looking for any kind of 'gotcha' moment, I'm just explaining that contrary to what you wrote, it is advisable to break-in a motor if it's actually been 'rebuilt' and not 'repaired' or 'freshened'.

I have a friend who runs a garage that's been in business for 40 years, passed down from his dad. I'll give him a call and ask him about rebuilds and break-ins. Maybe it's because you don't rebuild engines that you don't know how to break-in a rebuilt engine. I can also ping the guys who built my motor, it's a modern one out of an '08 Charger - maybe something changed.

I am totally a backyard mechanic. Guilty as sin, and unashamed. I grew up on a farm fixing stuff, especially trucks, tractors, cars, mowers, and a sad Honda 125 that I flogged mercilessly. But if you think I don't know how to work on cars because I moved on to far more challenging things, then you're just wrong.

Unrelated - do you know how to dissemble the tracks? I'm hitting the stops on the linear track, they just won't come off the part that bolts to the seat frame...I feel like there should be a button that I push with a screwdriver and it slides off the end. But it's just one stop that retains it in both directions...

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
BeardOfKnowledge @ConorMcGregorsBeard
technically, I did 'work in the business' from when I was 15-17. In an actual garage, doing work for paying customers. I also built a bunch of cars on nights and weekends with friends during that period...and I quoted you a couple articles from professional publications with highly-reputable experts talking about engine rebuilds and break-ins. I'm not looking for any kind of 'gotcha' moment, I'm just explaining that contrary to what you wrote, it is advisable to break-in a motor if it's actually been 'rebuilt' and not 'repaired' or 'freshened'.

I have a friend who runs a garage that's been in business for 40 years, passed down from his dad. I'll give him a call and ask him about rebuilds and break-ins. Maybe it's because you don't rebuild engines that you don't know how to break-in a rebuilt engine. I can also ping the guys who built my motor, it's a modern one out of an '08 Charger - maybe something changed.

I am totally a backyard mechanic. Guilty as sin, and unashamed. I grew up on a farm fixing stuff, especially trucks, tractors, cars, mowers, and a sad Honda 125 that I flogged mercilessly. But if you think I don't know how to work on cars because I moved on to far more challenging things, then you're just wrong.

Unrelated - do you know how to dissemble the tracks? I'm hitting the stops on the linear track, they just won't come off the part that bolts to the seat frame...I feel like there should be a button that I push with a screwdriver and it slides off the end. But it's just one stop that retains it in both directions...
"Hey, so I've ignored all counter points, my own early posts and that every source I've posted contradicts the next. Now here's a bunch of petty insults about why you're an idiot and I'm smarter than you. Now will you help me with my incredibly straight forward problem that I can't solve?"

p.s. If you're using the term seat track correctly it's intended to be a non-servicable part.

Last edited:

The Pendulum

AI Posting
Dec 30, 2015
Gentlemen,
Would you change oil on your new motor after the break in time was completed (break in done per manufacturer procedure)?
OR.
Would you do your first oil change at the prescribed interval, as per the manufacturer?

I can see and understand the argument for both choices. Personally, for gears I do it early, for motors I tend to do it per manufacturer specs.
After break in.

New motors need more maintenance at first than worn in. You'll need to get the glitter out early.

Haven't read thread yet lol.