A sign that UFC is leaving Fox? THR reports Fox close to deal with WWE's Smackdown

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

FrankieNYC

"My balls was hot!"
Aug 13, 2017
UFC had a standing offer from Fox for $200-250m per year (depending on the amount of content).
it was a take it or leave it offer. THR reports it at $175m now (since they gave so much to ESPN+)

Did UFC say no (rumors of others have bid this month)?

Fox and WWE Close to Massive Five-Year, $1 Billion Deal for 'SmackDown'

The new deal, which is nearing completion, is expected to begin in October 2019, and will mark a three-fold increase over what NBCUniversal is currently paying.
Fox will be the anticipated home of WWE SmackDown Live in a massive new five-year deal worth more than $1 billion, sources close to the negotiations tell The Hollywood Reporter. The new deal, which is nearing completion and is worth $205 million annually, is expected to begin in October 2019, and will mark a three-fold increase over what NBCUniversal is currently paying WWE to air SmackDown on its USA network.

WWE is said to have had an even higher bid from a third party - and enthusiastic interest overall. But WWE executives are said to have embraced Fox's commitment to heavily promote SmackDown across a robust sports portfolio that includes the NFL and Major League Baseball.

The deal would split WWE programming rights with NBC, which is expected to retain Raw. Smack is averaging 2.59 million viewers a week so far this year, while Raw is pulling about 3 million. Both programs currently air on USA. And the WWE had a significant part in the network's May 14 upfront presentation to advertisers with Stephanie McMahon, WWE's chief brand officer, introducing several female wrestlers including former UFC star Ronda Rousey.

The Fox deal dovetails with the Murdoch-controlled network’s anticipated programming pivot in the wake of the Disney acquisition of much of 21st Century Fox assets. “New Fox” as its been quasi officially dubbed, will include the Fox broadcast network and owned stations, Fox News and Fox Sports, which includes cable nets FS1 and FS2 as well as the Big Ten Network. And Fox's May 14 upfront presentation to advertisers unveiled a shift away from edgy, urbane fare toward broad programming with appeal beyond coastal confines to middle America. The network will spend more than $3 billion for five seasons of Thursday Night Football, and already shells out more than $1 billion annually for its top-rated Sunday NFL package, which runs through 2022.

It’s unclear what effect if any, the WWE deal will have on Fox Sports’ calculation in renewing its UFC rights package, which expires at the end of the year. The Endeavor-owned promotion recently finalized a $750 million deal with ESPN+, the Disney-owned sports giants’ still nascent OTT service. And sources close to that deal have told THR that Fox is willing to pay about $175 million annually for the MMA promotion.

jimmy boogaloo

General Links/Your Account
Nov 15, 2017
i dunno man, maybe i should try to be less of an asshole, but the wme buy-out and their subsequent financial position fucking cracks me up.

i think it was over-valued which seems uncontroversial, but those rich guys charged in.

maybe all their assets and the ufc model will make it a handsome investment when all is said and done.

but it is such a lot of money. so when i see the ufc star power shaking, and them not instantly getting what they want, it really makes me wonder how they interpret how good a deal they have here.

dana sitting there with half their money, still in a position to fuck things up for wme amuses me, as well.

FrankieNYC

"My balls was hot!"
Aug 13, 2017
i dunno man, maybe i should try to be less of an asshole, but the wme buy-out and their subsequent financial position fucking cracks me up.

i think it was over-valued which seems uncontroversial, but those rich guys charged in.

maybe all their assets and the ufc model will make it a handsome investment when all is said and done.

but it is such a lot of money. so when i see the ufc star power shaking, and them not instantly getting what they want, it really makes me wonder how they interpret how good a deal they have here.

dana sitting there with half their money, still in a position to fuck things up for wme amuses me, as well.
UFC was worth $5b on 9/17 & will be worth $6b in 2019.
They had their best profit year in 2017 by far
I don't understand the Dana part though

Say what you want about the current state of MMA, but those guys know how to make a shitload of money in a down time for interest.

Last edited:

jimmy boogaloo

Nov 15, 2017
worth that much on paper, are there any people trying to find the cash to make that investment? still seems farkin tricky.

FrankieNYC

"My balls was hot!"
Aug 13, 2017
worth that much on paper, are there any people trying to find the cash to make that investment? still seems farkin tricky.
What investment from what people?
You are confusing ;)

They sold shares in September at $5b evaluation. WME does not even own 50% of UFC (as of September). There are multiple investors.
They made a reported $275+m in 2017 as profit.
That is "not on paper" but profit.

There are a few ways to determine an evaluation:
1. Stock market. UFC is not traded, but WWE is & before the TV deals they were worth $2.5-3.0b. UFC made about 9x the profit WWE did.
2. a simplistic 20x recent profit. That puts them at $5b in 2017, about $5.5b now & over $6b in 2019.

If UFC goes public (after TV deals are set) the money they will make will be insane.

Again, they are not in the MMA business, but the content business.
Good for fans? Most likely not
But they did not put together a group of billionaire investors because they love MMA.
They did it to make money.

jimmy boogaloo

Nov 15, 2017
What investment from what people?
You are confusing ;)

They sold shares in September at $5b evaluation. WME does not even own 50% of UFC (as of September). There are multiple investors.
They made a reported $275+m in 2017 as profit.
That is "not on paper" but profit.

There are a few ways to determine an evaluation:
1. Stock market. UFC is not traded, but WWE is & before the TV deals they were worth $2.5-3.0b. UFC made about 9x the profit WWE did.
2. a simplistic 20x recent profit. That puts them at $5b in 2017, about $5.5b now & over $6b in 2019.

If UFC goes public (after TV deals are set) the money they will make will be insane.

Again, they are not in the MMA business, but the content business.
Good for fans? Most likely not
But they did not put together a group of billionaire investors because they love MMA.
They did it to make money.
nice post. disappointing that they are not buried in debt and panicking badly lol

what i meant was 'ok they can say they are worth $5b but no cunt will buy it at that price.' - but i didn't hear about the deal in september. evidently some cunt will buy it at that price.

ok just one last question before i will be forced to accept they are in a decent position *walks straight up to frankie, eyeball-to-eyeball*.. are you a paid shill?

FrankieNYC

"My balls was hot!"
Aug 13, 2017
nice post. disappointing that they are not buried in debt and panicking badly lol

what i meant was 'ok they can say they are worth $5b but no cunt will buy it at that price.' - but i didn't hear about the deal in september. evidently some cunt will buy it at that price.

ok just one last question before i will be forced to accept they are in a decent position *walks straight up to frankie, eyeball-to-eyeball*.. are you a paid shill?
Yes they love all the info I constantly give about how low fighter pay is & how I supplied that info to fighters in their unionizing effort.
Great insight
Have a good one lol

Nov 21, 2015
UFC had a standing offer from Fox for $200-250m per year (depending on the amount of content).
it was a take it or leave it offer. THR reports it at $175m now (since they gave so much to ESPN+)

Did UFC say no (rumors of others have bid this month)?

Fox and WWE Close to Massive Five-Year, $1 Billion Deal for 'SmackDown'

The new deal, which is nearing completion, is expected to begin in October 2019, and will mark a three-fold increase over what NBCUniversal is currently paying.
Fox will be the anticipated home of WWE SmackDown Live in a massive new five-year deal worth more than $1 billion, sources close to the negotiations tell The Hollywood Reporter. The new deal, which is nearing completion and is worth $205 million annually, is expected to begin in October 2019, and will mark a three-fold increase over what NBCUniversal is currently paying WWE to air SmackDown on its USA network.

WWE is said to have had an even higher bid from a third party - and enthusiastic interest overall. But WWE executives are said to have embraced Fox's commitment to heavily promote SmackDown across a robust sports portfolio that includes the NFL and Major League Baseball.

The deal would split WWE programming rights with NBC, which is expected to retain Raw. Smack is averaging 2.59 million viewers a week so far this year, while Raw is pulling about 3 million. Both programs currently air on USA. And the WWE had a significant part in the network's May 14 upfront presentation to advertisers with Stephanie McMahon, WWE's chief brand officer, introducing several female wrestlers including former UFC star Ronda Rousey.

The Fox deal dovetails with the Murdoch-controlled network’s anticipated programming pivot in the wake of the Disney acquisition of much of 21st Century Fox assets. “New Fox” as its been quasi officially dubbed, will include the Fox broadcast network and owned stations, Fox News and Fox Sports, which includes cable nets FS1 and FS2 as well as the Big Ten Network. And Fox's May 14 upfront presentation to advertisers unveiled a shift away from edgy, urbane fare toward broad programming with appeal beyond coastal confines to middle America. The network will spend more than $3 billion for five seasons of Thursday Night Football, and already shells out more than $1 billion annually for its top-rated Sunday NFL package, which runs through 2022.

It’s unclear what effect if any, the WWE deal will have on Fox Sports’ calculation in renewing its UFC rights package, which expires at the end of the year. The Endeavor-owned promotion recently finalized a $750 million deal with ESPN+, the Disney-owned sports giants’ still nascent OTT service. And sources close to that deal have told THR that Fox is willing to pay about $175 million annually for the MMA promotion.
WWE is actually the much safer bet. Like Vince told Dana the UFC is a far riskier business
than wrasslin because you can't make or control the stars. Hence no Conor, no Honda,
Joanna now dethroned and lost twice, Paige has heart but kinda sucks, Sage just isn't
top 5 nor championship ready.

I'm sure Fox sees what happened to Ronda, Conor and Joanna. I wouldn't blame them for going with Vince.

Too funny: If they pick up WWE they still get Honda! LOL

FrankieNYC

"My balls was hot!"
Aug 13, 2017
Interesting info surfaced

Ari & WME were the agent on the deal(s) between USA/WWE & Fox/WWE
I just heard that CAA were the agents
That was what was supposed to happen once April began & WWE could negotiate a deal.
WME were the agents until that but since UFC were still shopping it was a conflict of interest.
I was told that, but someone reported it was Ari that closed the WWE deal.
Sorry for the incorrect info. I forget where I read it.