A Theory About Conor

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Howard Moon

Posting Machine
Sep 6, 2015
This is something I've thought about for a while, and never seen addressed, so I'd like to hear opinions.

Given Conor's history of injuries, I think he might know he won't have a long career. He's a very smart guy, though, so he is going balls-out while he can, knowing it won't be for long. I think a lot of his talk about going to WW, being able to beat anyone, and his relentless trash talk are just part of his plan to create maximum hype, thereby making maximum dollars in as short a time as possible.

He's a millionaire already, and even if he loses to RDA, he will make millions more. Every fight from here on will pad his already impressive bank account.

It would not surprise me to see him retired within 2 or 3 years, or even less, laughing all the way to the bank, living the good life, and flipping Blaf off on his way out the door..

P

Punch

This is something I've thought about for a while, and never seen addressed, so I'd like to hear opinions.

Given Conor's history of injuries, I think he might know he won't have a long career. He's a very smart guy, though, so he is going balls-out while he can, knowing it won't be for long. I think a lot of his talk about going to WW, being able to beat anyone, and his relentless trash talk are just part of his plan to create maximum hype, thereby making maximum dollars in as short a time as possible.

He's a millionaire already, and even if he loses to RDA, he will make millions more. Every fight from here on will pad his already impressive bank account.

It would not surprise me to see him retired within 2 or 3 years, or even less, laughing all the way to the bank, living the good life, and flipping Blaf off on his way out the door..
I wouldn't be surprised either, but he seems to love combat more than the ultimate warrior.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015

Although not a bad sentiment, we don't know what kind of money he's currently made, and he's only allowed to get fights the UFC gives him. The idea that he's going to stick it to Zuffa is kind of ridiculous. He's an employee.

Howard Moon

Posting Machine
Sep 6, 2015
Although not a bad sentiment, we don't know what kind of money he's currently made, and he's only allowed to get fights the UFC gives him. The idea that he's going to stick it to Zuffa is kind of ridiculous. He's an employee.
Isn't he an 'independent contractor'?

He has shown he won't be pushed around by Zuffa. He doesn't appear to be a fan of the Baldfather.
He' s under contract to the UFC, but that doesn't mean he can't retire any time he chooses .

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Isn't he an 'independent contractor'?

He has shown he won't be pushed around by Zuffa. He doesn't appear to be a fan of the Baldfather.
He' s under contract to the UFC, but that doesn't mean he can't retire any time he chooses .
It does if he wants to fight ever again. He can fight, or retire, those are your options as a Zuffa fighter.

Howard Moon

Posting Machine
Sep 6, 2015
That was the whole point of my op. I think he will fight until the bank account makes further fighting less attractive, either because of injuries, or due to losing his hunger to put himself through the punishment that living a fighter's life entails.

Last edited:

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
He'll be remembered as the guy who done it the right way, inside the octagon, and outside the octagon.
He did not come to participate! He came to rustle jimmies!

He may already have enough to stop fighting right now. But he wants a legacy.

BlackDana

"If he dies, he dies." -Scott Coker, Dada v. Kimbo
Feb 9, 2015

View: https://twitter.com/thenotoriousmma/status/499216955828895744

"I am not stupid. I am a very bright guy," the Irish superstar recently said during an interview with UK's GQ Magazine. "I know that in the fighting game, you get people who get brain damage and do themselves long-term harm."

So the brash 145-pounder set a goal for himself. And although he doesn't know when his fighting career will be over yet, he knows one thing for sure: He will leave with enough money to be set for life.

"I am going to get very, very rich and then I will get out and we will see what comes after that."

FadeToBlack

Rear Naked Poke
Mar 15, 2015
You know, I like threads like these. You may not agree with this guy, but he's reading the tea leaves and using some informed speculation so I appreciate that. Having said that, McGregor's love of fighting could get in the way of your scenario. If he truly loves the sport, he's probably not going anywhere. It's a power play on Dana White and White called his bluff, but either way, McGregor proved a point: if you go into UFC 200 without me, you don't have very many options, so if I don't want to do promotional work for Zuffa, don't ask me to do it.

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
I think he is just creating leverage.
The scenario that Conor didn't want to do the media circus after the death, and the UFC tried to make him do it in some sort of way, and now he is calling their bluff.. seems reasonable to me. We will see.

BaneBreaksBacks

Victory has defeated you...
Mar 2, 2016
I think he is just creating leverage.
The scenario that Conor didn't want to do the media circus after the death, and the UFC tried to make him do it in some sort of way, and now he is calling their bluff.. seems reasonable to me. We will see.
I sincerely believe there is some serious animosity between Conor and Dana. Those are two personalities which create a whirlwind of a storm, no matter what benefits there may be by acting together as a team for the company. It may also be merely WWE tactics. This IS becoming more entertainment than it is the true fight business in appearances. Complete cluster-'F' now.