a thread about Mike Rose.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Mix6APlix

The more you cry, the less I care.
Oct 20, 2015
The first time I ever saw Mike Rose was the day after Nog anaconda choked Heath Herring. I walked into Carlson Gracie and Jeff Neals Fitplex on LaSalle.

I was on my break, and just watching a class. There was a brown belt who was wrecking everyone. Mike Rose walks in, looks like a hobo. Long hair, beard that hasn't been touched in months. He doesn't even use the locker room, he just throws his gi on, fist bumps, and starts to roll.

I say this with all due respect, he made the brown belt look like an amateur. It was fucking beautiful.

Mike just showcased this guy so bad, and I am sure he is a black belt by now, but Mike Rose not only tossed him everywhere on the mat, but managed to look totally disinterested while doing so.

When I think of what jiujitsu is supposed to look like, I think of Mike Rose . It was simply beautiful.

Last edited:

Mix6APlix

Oct 20, 2015
and for the record, I loved training at Brujo JJ. Most egoless and welcoming gym I ever walked into. Mike Rose cultivated an awesome atmosphere for training.

Mix6APlix

Oct 20, 2015
Sounds like a deceptive grappling beast..
This is correct. He was, and I presume still is, a BJJ sorcerer. He made everything look so easy, as "the gentle art" of BJJ should. Watching him tool that brown belt was, and is, the prettiest BJJ I have ever watched live. It was everything the BJJ is supposed to be.

Mix6APlix

Oct 20, 2015
Not to mention he was great to train with. Most gyms you get some metal playing, walked into Brujo and it was always some Bob Marley or some obscure Brazilian drum shit. And again, everyone who trained there was totally free of ego. We trained to get better, and everyone helped everyone. Not trying to crap on the other gyms I've been at, but the level of comraderie there was fucking awesome.

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Not to mention he was great to train with. Most gyms you get some metal playing, walked into Brujo and it was always some Bob Marley or some obscure Brazilian drum shit. And again, everyone who trained there was totally free of ego. We trained to get better, and everyone helped everyone. Not trying to crap on the other gyms I've been at, but the level of comraderie there was fucking awesome.
He was SnatchAlimbAfarian you say?

Mix6APlix

Oct 20, 2015
He was SnatchAlimbAfarian you say?
He was/is the sub and a side type. He'd tell you before you started, "I'm going to Kimura your right arm", and you'd end up tapping to a Kimura on your right arm. You had one job, defend the Kimura on the right arm. You failed. And the whole time, Mike looked like he was thinking about what color sprinkles he wanted on his cookies later.

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
He was/is the sub and a side type. He'd tell you before you started, "I'm going to Kimura your right arm", and you'd end up tapping to a Kimura on your right arm. You had one job, defend the Kimura on the right arm. You failed. And the whole time, Mike looked like he was thinking about what color sprinkles he wanted on his cookies later.
That is a humbling experience..I've had it done to me by Beast James Lee that fought 205...He is a leg lock machine and was d1 wrestler that I look up to...He's one if the few ppl I've felt helpless against rolling...A bigger Wrestler with 20 years bjj experience...He could be holding a converstation while effortlessly tapping ppl that were not push overs...He big brotherd me and showed me what it was like to be rag dolled and it made me better..

marcf

Lurker
Jun 4, 2017
I trained with Mike when he was still a brown belt at Caique jiu jitsu around 2001-2002. Even back then, his technique was very solid and he didn't waste any energy on erratic movements. I spent an hour with him once going over side control and his attention to small details made a HUGE difference between success and failure. He's a 3 stripe black belt now.