General A thread to discuss the incoming housing bust

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
You might remember me from great threads such as:

Well I'm back with another one. I have flipped from believing that the housing market is simply in short supply due to housing units and I now believe a real estate crash is going to happen that will impact significant number of sectors of the economy like it did in 2008.

After 2008 we didn't really build houses at the rate we previously did:

New housing units:

1651421604523.png

At the same time, a bunch has been made of millennials coming of age, wanting to buy houses and basically blaming this combination of short supply and high demand for the housing prices. Hauler @Hauler Would tell you this is true. You see it's always supply and demand.

But things have been changing.
In 2021, Wall Street purchased 50% of all apartments that were sold and one in seven houses. Historically this is a really weird thing because Wall Street doesn't like to buy illiquid physical assets. They buy derivatives in other financial products that allow quick, buys and sells and it's part of the recent that they are allowed to purchase on margin. If things go wrong the person loaning can always make a call and get their money back just by selling a contract. But if you owe me money and I tell you that you need to sell that house, there can be a just a delay in the process innately. So this is all kind of strange. Wall Street is holding a ton of housing. These assets are then being loaned against.

The other six in seven houses and 50% of apartments for being bought up by residential consumers. If you're paying attention to the news You're aware of that increasingly these are all cash buys. People paying way more than the asking price in while bidding wars. Even as the prices have cooled. You basically don't a chance in this market without coming to the table with some kind of pre-approved financing, but more importantly, cash. Except none of these buyers are really bringing cash. They're cashing out against other assets like their own home. Their home that's inflated and price right now. So their cash is really just a new loan against a house.

This cycle is tying together residential purchasers and Wall Street in a way that the subprime crisis did when we took all of those bad mortgages, packaged them together and traded them around. Once the residential consumers couldn't pay their bills and the Ponzi scheme of selling off to each other crashed, suddenly, Wall Street felt the bite.

That's what's happening right now. Wall Street owns a significant portion of these physical assets creating a shortage. They are renting them out for profit. Residential consumers are in fomo mode getting huge cash loans against their inflated house prices to buy new houses. This all runs up the price of the new house as well and every other house on the block. And then everybody can take cash out refi's against those inflated assets. Wash rinse repeat. Eventually the inflation will pop and when it does everybody is holding notes on assets that they're now upside down on... Including Wall Street.

So what about the innate supply and demand. What about the housing shortage? Well on top of the above asset inflation, the wrong number of housing units doesn't really tell the story as many of us would think.

The last 5 years the new housing units have outpaced the population growth and the millennial aging:

So why are houses now three times or more expensive than they were 5 years ago? Inflation. And that inflation is being driven on a cycle of loans against houses that make other houses more expensive and thus allow a new loan on that inflated asset to be made.

This will all eventually crash. The only thing that I can see bolstering it for some time is foreign investment. Over the last couple of years the United States has been a safe haven for foreign currency. New York and Miami are full of Chinese and Russian condos that are sitting empty just being used as a way to hide foreign currency in a safe physical asset. That continued inflow of cash definitely alters this timeline. But if you see my other thread on evergrande and pay attention to the Russian economy right now. I suspect that those inflows will try up at some point as well.

kneeblock @kneeblock come tell me I'm wrong again.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
There was never a "housing shortage". There was/is a cheap money surplus. Interest rates will rise, mortgages will be defaulted on and that is what will cause the market to crash.

So why are houses now three times or more expensive than they were 5 years ago? Inflation.
You can't explain 5 years of rising housing prices with 2 years of inflation. The inflation has simply sped up the outcome. It's going to get bad, @Lars and I have actually been discussing it for the last little while. It's going to get bad, but I really hope I'm wrong.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Nope, I agree with you on this one. This is the real underlying economy you're talking about and it has bad fundamentals, as you rightly mention. Inflation is still a mirage.

M

member 1013

my company made a shell company and we buy any unsold units from ourselves and then rent them out at exorbitant fees

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Same item, less than two years apart

View attachment 66891View attachment 66893

iNfLaTiOn iS a MiRaGe
When I say it's a mirage I mean the price increases are being driven artificially not by underlying causes in the economy, eg labor participation or supply chains. Those things have been affected, but inflation is outpacing both. Businesses are taking advantage of the crisis to set higher price floors because of interest rates being held low too long among other things.

M

member 1013

When I say it's a mirage I mean the price increases are being driven artificially not by underlying causes in the economy, eg labor participation or supply chains. Those things have been affected, but inflation is outpacing both. Businesses are taking advantage of the crisis to set higher price floors because of interest rates being held low too long among other things.
see i would clarify that as “the idea we can’t do anything about inflation, quarterly corporatism and margin padding is a mirage.” I knew what you meant, but you should clarify and simplify so idiots like @conor mcgregor nut hugger can easily parse out your meaning.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Hauler @Hauler he says it's NOT supply and demand!!!!!11111

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016

Well I'm back with another one. I have flipped from believing that the housing market is simply in short supply due to housing units and I now believe a real estate crash is going to happen that will impact significant number of sectors of the economy like it did in 2008.

New housing units:

View attachment 66888

At the same time, a bunch has been made of millennials coming of age, wanting to buy houses and basically blaming this combination of short supply and high demand for the housing prices. Hauler @Hauler Would tell you this is true. You see it's always supply and demand.

In 2021, Wall Street purchased 50% of all apartments that were sold and one in seven houses. Historically this is a really weird thing because Wall Street doesn't like to buy illiquid physical assets. They buy derivatives in other financial products that allow quick, buys and sells and it's part of the recent that they are allowed to purchase on margin. If things go wrong the person loaning can always make a call and get their money back just by selling a contract. But if you owe me money and I tell you that you need to sell that house, there can be a just a delay in the process innately. So this is all kind of strange. Wall Street is holding a ton of housing. These assets are then being loaned against.

The other six in seven houses and 50% of apartments for being bought up by residential consumers. If you're paying attention to the news You're aware of that increasingly these are all cash buys. People paying way more than the asking price in while bidding wars. Even as the prices have cooled. You basically don't a chance in this market without coming to the table with some kind of pre-approved financing, but more importantly, cash. Except none of these buyers are really bringing cash. They're cashing out against other assets like their own home. Their home that's inflated and price right now. So their cash is really just a new loan against a house.

This cycle is tying together residential purchasers and Wall Street in a way that the subprime crisis did when we took all of those bad mortgages, packaged them together and traded them around. Once the residential consumers couldn't pay their bills and the Ponzi scheme of selling off to each other crashed, suddenly, Wall Street felt the bite.

That's what's happening right now. Wall Street owns a significant portion of these physical assets creating a shortage. They are renting them out for profit. Residential consumers are in fomo mode getting huge cash loans against their inflated house prices to buy new houses. This all runs up the price of the new house as well and every other house on the block. And then everybody can take cash out refi's against those inflated assets. Wash rinse repeat. Eventually the inflation will pop and when it does everybody is holding notes on assets that they're now upside down on... Including Wall Street.

So what about the innate supply and demand. What about the housing shortage? Well on top of the above asset inflation, the wrong number of housing units doesn't really tell the story as many of us would think.

The last 5 years the new housing units have outpaced the population growth and the millennial aging:

So why are houses now three times or more expensive than they were 5 years ago? Inflation. And that inflation is being driven on a cycle of loans against houses that make other houses more expensive and thus allow a new loan on that inflated asset to be made.

This will all eventually crash. The only thing that I can see bolstering it for some time is foreign investment. Over the last couple of years the United States has been a safe haven for foreign currency. New York and Miami are full of Chinese and Russian condos that are sitting empty just being used as a way to hide foreign currency in a safe physical asset. That continued inflow of cash definitely alters this timeline. But if you see my other thread on evergrande and pay attention to the Russian economy right now. I suspect that those inflows will try up at some point as well.

wait until you google "Commercial Mortgage Backed Securities"

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/uflx06/the_2022_real_estate_collapse_is_going_to_be/

FINGERS

TMMAC Addict
Nov 14, 2019

New housing units:

View attachment 66888

I will dive deeper on this. But fundamentally you are operating on a failed capitalistic model.

Capitalism failed. It was ended in 2008. What we are living in now is a made up world of finance. Where printing pieces of paper and calling it money to suit the elites is now the de facto.

I said this model will fail by the end this century in the year 2000.

Its archaic. I didn't think it would fail 8 years later.

The housing market being used as the guage is obscene.

Covid showed us there is a magic money tree.

Imagine if you will my country.

We spent 350 billion of public funds propping up the banks in 2008. Then from 2012 8 years of austerity to 'balance the books' it meant we lost 20k of police. 10k of prison officers. Countless nurses and firemen.

Society suffered.

The same political party decided as a vote winner in November 2019 to reverse the cuts. The same cuts they implemented.

They got in on a huge majority. The cycle before, in 2017 (it was a weird cycle) Teresa May said there wasn't a magic money tree.

Cut to 2020 and there was a magic money tree. All there friends got ppe contracts in the billions. They wasted 37 billion on a failed track and trace system... I could go on.

Point is. To pretend there is a real economic plan is a joke. Housing, shares, production. Its all smoke and mirrors to protect the already rich.

Had we, in this country invested 400 billion in the country and its people in 2012. Covid wouldn't have been a problem. We would have had hospital capacity. We wouldn't have murdered 25k plus of old people in care homes.

You are just proper gating an old system.

We as a species have enough resources to feed, clothe and shelter everyone.

If you want more then the opportunity is there.

Fuck your system. Its done and failed. The fact the failed banks own the houses shows what a failure capitalism is.

Its from another time. We should do better.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Still working though it but yeah that's what I'm trying to describe. Although I only recognized the residential portion. The empty building commerical stuff is wild.
Ask your son @Lars to post some of the Bank of Canada news articles last week. The global economy is about to fall in on itself and no one seems to be talking about it.

M

member 1013

Ask your son @Lars to post some of the Bank of Canada news articles last week. The global economy is about to fall in on itself and no one seems to be talking about it.
we will just bail everyone out again with more made up money

greed will again ramp up slowly to a critical point of endless and unsustainable feed back loops and gouging

and we will print more money and bail them out in 10 years

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015

greed will again ramp up slowly to a critical point of endless and unsustainable feed back loops and gouging

By "everyone" you mean the financial institutions and the newly homeless get nothing, right?

M

member 1013

By "everyone" you mean the financial institutions and the newly homeless get nothing, right?
yes of course. everything must be downloaded to the plebes. fuck them for making me drive the market into inevitable recession so i could make slightly more this quarter. they should have stayed in school, worked hard and skipped avocado toast!

FINGERS

TMMAC Addict
Nov 14, 2019

Exactly.

We live in a failed model.

The green thing is right and correct but until we can cap the greed ethos we are fucked.

We should be resource driven.

People are often lauded by quoting Churchill. Capitalism is the wrong model but the best we have.

Bollocks. That shit may have sustained 100 years ago. Before we had the silicon chip. Before we had modern farming etc.

But not now.

Every part of our society has evolved apart from economics.

It suits the elites.