Aaron Pico on Bellator Debut and Working with Freddie Roach

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

TheEmperorRises

Right click hospital, left click cemetery
Dec 4, 2015

0-0. In certain contexts, it's a pretty auspicious pro MMA record. One of those contexts occurs when you see the 0-0 on a pay-per-view card. There aren't many modern fighters this side of CM Punk who make their professional debuts on a stage people shelled out $60 to see.

To get away with that, you'll need someone who stands out from the crowd based on non-MMA activities.

How does the greatest MMA prospect of all time fit the bill?

Fight fans will vote with their wallets June 24, when 20-year-old Aaron Pico enters the pro MMA cage for the first time—and in no less a venue than New York City's venerable Madison Square Garden. He'll do so against a relatively unheralded lightweight in Zach Freeman (8-2).

"It feels good," Pico told Bleacher Report in an exclusive interview. "This is where I've always envisioned myself. It's not the last time I'll fight in front of the fans at MSG."

He's not lacking for confidence. And that's good, because plenty of other, more established Bellator stars didn't make it onto this card, only the second pay-per-view event in Bellator history and its first in New York. Bellator: NYC will follow the cable-televised Bellator 180.

Does Pico feel strange about receiving this opportunity? No. And with his long history on the international wrestling circuit—he chose to forgo college for global competition, then last year fell just short of making the U.S. Olympic freestyle wrestling team as a teenager—he's received a taste of pressure before.

"I think it's great," he said. "This is what I wanted to do. I've always done it at the highest levels. We're going to be champions of the world. I've proven myself time and time again. In wrestling, I was young and taking on men. I know what I'm capable of doing."

Although his training home base remains American Kickboxing Academy in Fresno, California, alongside stars like Daniel Cormier and Luke Rockhold, he's branching out to other high-profile camps. He is now training with Eddie Bravo at 10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu. Boxing work takes place under the gifted eye of Freddie Roach and the staff at Wild Card Boxing, famous home to Manny Pacquiao and a slew of others.

"He's always helping me," Pico said of Roach. "We've really been welcomed there. When you step into Wild Card, it's just a feeling you get that everyone's there to just work and push each other to do good. I see my hand speed coming. ... It's upped my level, for sure."

Full story here:
Super Prospect Aaron Pico on Bellator Debut and Working with Freddie Roach

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
I look forward to seeing him fight....
I will even watch after I know the result....something that never happens with me.

Clappin'Daddys

Posting Machine
Sep 9, 2015
Pico is getting the best possible start. The bed possible training. Wow. No wonder he is confident enough to debut against a 8-2 opponent

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Never been more excited about an MMA prospect. This kid is driven like none other. Expect a championship belt within 2 years.

TheEmperorRises

Dec 4, 2015
Gallagher claimed Pico wasn't a big enough name to call him out yet. I wonder how he feels about Pico landing on the PPV while he's still on the prelims :)

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015
I do hope he reaches his potential in MMA. The more stars, the better. And I really want Bellator to cultivate as much raw talent as they can from the ground up. I long for the days when there were two legitimate MMA promotions at the top, more or less equal in talent.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I do hope he reaches his potential in MMA. The more stars, the better. And I really want Bellator to cultivate as much raw talent as they can from the ground up. I long for the days when there were two legitimate MMA promotions at the top, more or less equal in talent.
Ruth, Fortune, Joey Davis, Pico, Caldwell, McKee...the young stud stable is there.

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015
I haven't seen any of them fight yet. Ruth is coming along well it appears. McKee...which McKee? Obviously not Antonio who is boring and retired anyway right?

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
I'd love to see some of the dudes who go into football or hockey go into mma instead. Connors seems to be singlehandedly bringing the pay scale up to where that mma be a feasible alternative to the big league sports.

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015
Well, he's bringing up the scale for himself, anyway. I think it's good that people who might have otherwise passed on MMA with only a moment's thought will probably think about it now, but on the other hand the potential for Conor's earnings are tied to his ability to self-promote. For those who suck at that (which is 90% of fighters), the pay scale is going to remain the same.

But that said, a wave of killer athletes might collectively have an impact that we've never seen before. We've seen how far one man can take it for himself---I would love to see what a new generation of fighters coming from the highest levels of athleticism can do for the sport overall. Maybe we'll see that with this Bellator group. I desperately hope so---enough of these "tentpole shows" and Kimbo-Dada-Shamrock matchups. Let's get high quality next gen fighters across the board in Bellator.

TheEmperorRises

Dec 4, 2015
Ruth, Fortune, Joey Davis, Pico, Caldwell, McKee...the young stud stable is there.
Piccolotti, Yamauchi, Tokov, Gallagher, Bolanos, Kozola, Trice, Njokuani, Macfarlane, Yankova. Hell, Koreshkov is only 26. Since Coker took over, they've built a growing stable of great young fighters.

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015
Aaron Pico might be the GOAT 0-0 fighters.

I was little concerned at the word, "AKA" but it says its the one in Fresno, not in San Jose where all the barbarians break each others bones for no good reason.