Abandoned Mine is Now World’s Largest Indoor BMX Bike Park

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Boasting 5 miles of trails, ramps and obstacles, this cavernous subterranean space sits 100 feet underground and totals 320,000 square feet. The wide-open footprint and copious mounds of dirt, able to be endlessly reformed into new types of terrain, lend themselves to this particularly fitting form of adaptive reuse.

Located in Louisville, Kentucky, and open as of yesterday, the Mega Underground Bike Park gains a number of advantages from being far below the surface, including a relatively consistent temperature and protection from wind, rain and other weather (without the typical costs of constructing a building to house these activities).

Originally a limestone mine, there were plans to create a highs-security business park in the space – while there are a few businesses actually occupying other parts of the underground complex of caves, the big idea fell through, replaced by a plan to create zip lines, challenge courses and now the biggest interior bike park on the planet.

Currently the space offers 45 trails with differing degrees of of difficulty as well as clever additions like cargo containers turned into ramps and overpasses. Most of the materials needed, though, were already in place – it was mainly a matter of lighting, accessing and shaping the space.

From their website: “Are you ready to experience a one of a kind Underground Bike Park? Over 320,000 square feet including over 45 trails, Jump Lines, Pump Tracks, Dual Slalom, BMX, Cross Country and Single Track all in a former limestone cavern 100 feet sub-surface. Enjoy the comfort of our 60 degree temperature year round. Come experience what the buzz is all about. You simply won’t believe what you see.”

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
I used to be sponsored for Rollerblading (tricks) i was good at that, i tried skateboarding i was mediocre at that i tried bmxing ONCE and i fucking sucked so bad, i tried to go off a jump and went face first into a huge rock, im so lucky i walked away from that unscathed.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
That is badass. Talk about a great way of reusing a resource. Places like this give kids somewhere to go, instead of being out somewhere, getting into trouble. I definitely dig it.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I used to be sponsored for Rollerblading (tricks) i was good at that, i tried skateboarding i was mediocre at that i tried bmxing ONCE and i fucking sucked so bad, i tried to go off a jump and went face first into a huge rock, im so lucky i walked away from that unscathed.
I grew up with Tony Stewart (of NASCAR). We were best friends until about age 13-14, which is when he really got into racing...traveling all the time to race go-karts, dirt cars, etc. Anyway, I saw him do something similar in front of my house. Jumped, landed his bike on the front tire, went over the handlebars, and face planted into the concrete. Busted his front teeth out. He plays tough guy now (and maybe he is, I dont know)...but he cried like a bitch that day lol.

Last edited:

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
I grew with Tony Stewart (of NASCAR). We were best friends until about age 13-14, which is when he really got into racing...traveling all the time to race go-karts, dirt cars, etc. Anyway, I saw him do something similar in front of my house. Jumped, landed his bike on the front tire, went over the handlebars, and face planted into the concrete. Busted his front teeth out. He plays tough guy now (and maybe he is, I dont know)...but he cried like a bitch that day lol.
HAHAHAHHA. How old are you IWEI?

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
That's cool as shit, I would've loved that when I was 15 and raced bmx

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Holy shit, just noticed this is here in Louisville lol. I've actually been in this mine. A customer took me on a tour when they were doing the electrical installation for a business that houses servers there. They also decorate it with lights during Christmas and people can drive thru it for like $15/car.

Last edited:

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Holy shit, just noticed this is here in Louisville lol. I've actually been in this mine. A customer took me on a tour when they were doing the electrical installation for a business that house servers there. They also decorate it with lights during Christmas and people can drive thru it for like $15/car.
i was just about to ask if you know where this is..cool story about tony..The Intimidator was the fucking man though :p