ABC adopts new weight classes for MMA, including 165, 175, 195, 225

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Haulport

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Actually it does. Look at the average male weight (nationally or globally) and then plot it against your proposed classes.
When I did this I actually had a data scientist friend of mine run my algo thru R using the weight distributions of the countries that contribute the majority of mma fighters and taking into account all the fighters from the sherdog database (couldn't get an api feed from them so we built a scraper for the site) and my weight classes were the result.

So keep trolling my fren.......

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
When I did this I actually had a data scientist friend of mine run my algo thru R using the weight distributions of the countries that contribute the majority of mma fighters and taking into account all the fighters from the sherdog database (couldn't get an api feed from them so we built a scraper for the site) and my weight classes were the result.
How did you get the exact walkaround weight of every MMA fighter?

Jehannum

TMMAC's Most Handsome Artist
Jan 26, 2016
Haulport @Haulport Cruiserweight is heavier than Light Heavyweight (in boxing at least)

I think they should keep an upper limit on HW too, just increase it a bit. We don't need any more blobs lol.

megatherium

el rey del mambo
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
You could get a rough idea if you tracked them down when they were out walking around and lifted them. After some practice you might get so you could guess with five pounds or so. For the smaller guys anyway. And maybe you could be accurate within 10-15 guys with the bigger guys.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
You could get a rough idea if you tracked them down when they were out walking around and lifted them. After some practice you might get so you could guess with five pounds or so. For the smaller guys anyway. And maybe you could be accurate within 10-15 guys with the bigger guys.
Bro, your science is so sciency.

Haulport

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
It's a little bit sad but at the time (quite a few years ago) I actually compiled a gigantic list of fighters and hunted down articles that talked about their walk-around weights and uploaded and parsed it to the table my buddy created. We then took the average and the standard deviation of weightclass per fight and walk-around weight to get an algo for walk-around weight that we indexed everyone from the scraper data set against and plotted that against average, male weights from the major MMA countries represented.

It was all pretty fun.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
It's a little bit sad but at the time (quite a few years ago) I actually compiled a gigantic list of fighters and hunted down articles that talked about their walk-around weights and uploaded and parsed it to the table my buddy created. We then took the average and the standard deviation of weightclass per fight and walk-around weight to get an algo for walk-around weight that we indexed everyone from the scraper data set against and plotted that against average, male weights from the major MMA countries represented.

It was all pretty fun.
It wouldn't be accurate by today though, amd no how full of shit most athletes are there's a decent chance it was never all that accurate.

Haulport

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
It wouldn't be accurate by today though, amd no how full of shit most athletes are there's a decent chance it was never all that accurate.
I disagree pretty strongly. Data is data and if their walk around weight is off a bit there is only so much you can cut and we were using a pretty high cut rate as our max and a pretty reasonable one as our min just looking at how much humans weight and how much they can conceivably cut (Anthony Johnson aside.......)

Chromium

Posting Machine
Oct 10, 2016
The new weight class options sound fair, and would provide a legal contingency for fighters who agree to fight at those weights and one misses weight, since not all states honor catchweights when they hold purses in escrow.
However, if I'm the UFC or Bellator, I'm never using those weight classes. As it is, having 8 different men's divisions is already a high barrier for casual fans to keep track of, and I think that's where they should stop (the Women's divisions are fewer, smaller, and it's very difficult to confuse male and female fighters, so they're fine for now).

Okay, maybe Cruiserweight might work some day if the global fighter population can support the divisional depth, but as of year ago it was extremely far off. Heavyweight and LHW are actually thinner divisions than Flyweight, even with Men's Strawweight starting to slowly become a thing.

Chromium

Posting Machine
Oct 10, 2016

It was all pretty fun.
This is exactly the sort of horrifically nerdy thing I've spent far too many hundreds of hours doing myself, so I can't exactly throw stones.

That being said, what is "walk-around" weight considered? Fighters actually have three different weights, not even including their in-cage weight:
-official weigh-in weight
-off-season weight where they may or may not be loading up on chicken wings and funnel cakes
-training weight at the end of a training camp where they've just been doing six weeks of conditioning and eating healthy but haven't quite switched to making weight as their primary focus yet.

A fighter's "walk-around weight" at the end of or even in the middle of training camp can be quite a bit lower than the weight they're at when they had a fight two months ago and are playing video games 12 hours a day. But if you're relying on media quotes and social media to get their walk-around weight info (and I realize that's probably gonna be your only option the vast majority of the time so I don't blame you), you're gonna end up with a mixture of both training camp weights and off-season weights and those usually aren't the same thing.

Andrewsimar Palhardass

Women, dinosaurs, and the violence of the octagon.
Jan 8, 2016
Dana was asked at UFC 214 post-fight presser if he'd be open to adopting these. His answer was pretty telling-

"Nope."

Chromium

Posting Machine
Oct 10, 2016
I really think it's a bad idea to add more Men's divisions. It just makes the whole thing less accessible, even for hardcore fans.