General Abolish inherited wealth?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Should inherited wealth be abolished?

• Yes

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • No

Votes: 19 79.2%

• Total voters

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
i think a better question is should the mechanisms of acquiring egregious wealth, such as transferring private debt to public debt, be abolished?

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
We still have taxation without representation in America. In Texas alone a city can impose it's laws past their city limits, even though the people they are enforcing the laws on have no say in who get's elected.
You guys should revolt.

Greenbean

Posting Machine
Nov 14, 2015
This conversation is based on the nonsense contained in the article.
I guess the point I'm trying to make is that the people in charge of introducing such a policy have already been compromised by wealth.

The article in it's entirety is a fantasy and completely disregards reality. If you were asked which side of the aisle would be likely to go this direction, it would be reasonable to assume it would be the left side.

Take a look at the left and their donors and ask yourself if it makes sense for these ultra wealthy entities to tax themselves into peasant status. Is it their M.O.? Did they get to a point in their lives where they have the ability to throw millions and millions into a candidate because they are interested in the common mans financial success?

Point being, it's all feel good fluff. Rest assured, the rich will look out for their own. We should be highly suspicious of these types of fairy tales being sold. The "state" will simply be the current crop of elites only with more power. Nothing changes for them except some verbiage. While we champion our own financial demise.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
If you were asked which side of the aisle would be likely to go this direction, it would be reasonable to assume it would be the left side.
Lol. No.

Neither side of the aisle would like this idea. They'd like the title, but that's it.

Greenbean

Posting Machine
Nov 14, 2015
Lol. No.

Neither side of the aisle would like this idea. They'd like the title, but that's it.

The right wing has done a good job of demonizing even modest efforts to tax these transfers, branding the tax on large estates as a ghoulish “death tax.” That’s obviously ridiculous. But how would a better society handle the inheritance issue?
It would be the "squad" types in government pushing this nonsense through. And the squad identifies with the left/radical left. Certainly not the right.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
So, in this authors fantasy, who's pushing this through?
Have you not seen "journalists" like this before? They live in a fantasyland where BIg Biz Biden is going to have an epiphany and realize that his entire 50 year political career was misguided and he's going to change his ways. He probably even thinks it will go through unanimously once the GOP recognizes the error of their ways.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
The way to abolish inherited wealth without abolishing inherited Kenny Loggins records, cars, or personal dwellings is simple: introduce a strict upper limit on the value of assets that can be passed down from one generation to the next. The estate tax on assets beyond that limit would be 100 percent
Not sure if most of you made it past the headline but as is not uncommon for Jacobin, the author buried the lede.

This is the primary point of the proposal. What it would in effect do is establish an asset ceiling just like we have a wage floor. Around the time many of our parents or grandparents were born the tax rate above a certain limit was as high as 94% and it was never below 70% until 1981. What this plan would do is leave room to defer taxation while people are living and working and instead focus taxation on wealth transfers in an attempt to minimize inequality.

100% isn't as much of a fantasy as it seems, though the sticker shock of it would likely be politically untenable. People would be convinced their little $300,000 home would be lost to poor junior when in actuality the thresholds would more reasonably kick in at $1 million plus. By focusing taxation on wealth transfers instead of income, you allow tax relief for a whole lot of Americans, though in reality the rich would find all kinds of schemes to hide it or move it around unless they also funded an enforcement apparatus and made international agreements to prevent someone from just skipping off to Panama for a couple years. That was the reason the Democrats cut the income tax rate in 1981 in the first place.

M

member 1013

Not sure if most of you made it past the headline but as is not uncommon for Jacobin, the author buried the lede.

This is the primary point of the proposal. What it would in effect do is establish an asset ceiling just like we have a wage floor. Around the time many of our parents or grandparents were born the tax rate above a certain limit was as high as 94% and it was never below 70% until 1981. What this plan would do is leave room to defer taxation while people are living and working and instead focus taxation on wealth transfers in an attempt to minimize inequality.

100% isn't as much of a fantasy as it seems, though the sticker shock of it would likely be politically untenable. People would be convinced their little $300,000 home would be lost to poor junior when in actuality the thresholds would more reasonably kick in at $1 million plus. By focusing taxation on wealth transfers instead of income, you allow tax relief for a whole lot of Americans, though in reality the rich would find all kinds of schemes to hide it or move it around unless they also funded an enforcement apparatus and made international agreements to prevent someone from just skipping off to Panama for a couple years. That was the reason the Democrats cut the income tax rate in 1981 in the first place.
Why $1 million? That’s not very
Much, if I left 1 million equally to my immediate family they would each get 100 thousand dollars. That’s a down payment on a decent new house in the greater Toronto area. Doesn’t seem obscene to me.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Why $1 million? That’s not very
Much, if I left 1 million equally to my immediate family they would each get 100 thousand dollars. That’s a down payment on a decent new house in the greater Toronto area. Doesn’t seem obscene to me.
We're talking about American money, not toonies or whatever.