Adesanya: Strip Whittaker, and I’ll fight Gastelum for the real belt

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Just hours before his supposed title defense, Robert Whittaker had to undergo emergency surgery because of a collapsed bowel and internal hernia that scrapped him from UFC 234. It’s still unclear how long he will be out of commission, but with the recent trends, the natural question was if an interim championship could be in play soon.

Israel Adesanya, who won what was supposedly a title eliminator, was asked about this potential interim belt. He went further and talk about Whittaker possibly being stripped altogether.

“Why interim?” Adesanya told Luke Thomas. “This is not the first time this has happened. It’s not his control, like I said it’s in the control of player one, but... I don’t…

Israel Adesanya: Strip Whittaker, and I’ll fight Gastelum for the real UFC belt

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
This dude may want to slow his role juusssst a bit. Not sure he wants any of Whittaker right now. I'd like to see them match him up with Romero.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
that image shows the poking nature of Israel's defense...Andy lands that on the chin and he might be cooking with gas

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
This dude may want to slow his role juusssst a bit. Not sure he wants any of Whittaker right now. I'd like to see them match him up with Romero.
I think Whittaker, Kelvin, and Romero are all tough fights for Izzy. And Rockhold too, can you imagine what the fight looks like if Luke gets Izzy down to the mat?

T

The Big Guy

Tell gastelum to go back to WW and do adesanya vs whittaker

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
Romero would rag doll him. His only hope would be that it’s a 5 round fight and he could has the monster and out point him in the later rounds.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Someone should tell the UFC they are allowed to put a fight on without shuffling belts every 6 months.

Even 2 years ago, having a fellow fighter suggest the need to strip the Champ after 7 months from last fight, a 9 fight winning streak, and two title defenses -- the second sidelined only by medical emergency -- would be seen as crass and disrespectful.

Whitaker hasn't done anything wrong. He's on a tear. He is willing to defend his belt. He had a freak medical problem. Israel should show a little respect for those that have run a gauntlet already, lest he find himself on the other end of being stripped by no fault of his own.

Go fight Romero or Jacare if you want to get in the mix. The performance against Silva gave me no confidence Israel could prevent being bullied by those bigger stronger guys threatening the ground the whole fight.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Someone should tell the UFC they are allowed to put a fight on without shuffling belts every 6 months.

Even 2 years ago, having a fellow fighter suggest the need to strip the Champ after 7 months from last fight, a 9 fight winning streak, and two title defenses -- the second sidelined only by medical emergency -- would be seen as crass and disrespectful.

Whitaker hasn't done anything wrong. He's on a tear. He is willing to defend his belt. He had a freak medical problem. Israel should show a little respect for those that have run a gauntlet already, lest he find himself on the other end of being stripped by no fault of his own.

Go fight Romero or Jacare if you want to get in the mix. The performance against Silva gave me no confidence Israel could prevent being bullied by those bigger stronger guys threatening the ground the whole fight.
Dana et al only know how to sell a fight where there's a belt and cheap heat.