Adesanya vs. Tavares booked for TUF 27 main event

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

The UFC appears to be fully on board the Israel Adesanya hype train. The flashy world class kickboxer made his debut in the UFC just under three months ago, but after going 2-0 to start his UFC career, he’s nabbed a top-ranked opponent and a headlining spot on an upcoming fight card.

Adesanya is set to face #10 ranked middleweight Brad Tavares as the main event for the Ultimate Fighter 27 Finale on July 6th. The UFC announced the booking via Twitter.

Get your popcorn ready @BradTavares takes on @Stylebender in the #TUF27 Finale main event on July 6!

https://t.co/H6yO6ysctj pic.twitter.com/pcae5X30yV

— UFC (@ufc) April 30, 2018

Israel Adesanya nabs main event spot against Brad Tavares in third UFC bout

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
Is this a main event worthy fight? It's like they don't care about TUF anymore... Like almost everyone else

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
Tough fight for Adesanya. Tavares has been on a roll of late.
'Tough fight' is understating it - it's way too big a step up - and you wonder why Tavares is even taking the fight (yes he gets a main event, but it's an unranked, dangerous opponent).

Tavares has Larkin, Jotko, Leites, (admittedly shot) Marquardt and solid guys like Theodorou in his win column. He also went the distance with Romero, which only Jacare and Whittaker can also say.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
'Tough fight' is understating it - it's way too big a step up - and you wonder why Tavares is even taking the fight (yes he gets a main event, but it's an unranked, dangerous opponent).

Tavares has Larkin, Jotko, Leites, (admittedly shot) Marquardt and solid guys like Theodorou in his win column. He also went the distance with Romero, which only Jacare and Whittaker can also say.
Maybe Brad wants to put an end to the hype train and thinks beating the "next Anderson Silva" would give him a big boost in the rankings. You're right though, risky fight for him.

Nemo?

Too weird to live, too rare to die.
Dec 2, 2015
Maybe Brad wants to put an end to the hype train and thinks beating the "next Anderson Silva" would give him a big boost in the rankings. You're right though, risky fight for him.
Also he might stay in Israel’s wheelhouse on the feet.

How is Tavares offensive grappling?

I only remember him defending so he can strike.

jimmy boogaloo

General Links/Your Account
Nov 15, 2017
you wonder why Tavares is even taking the fight (yes he gets a main event, but it's an unranked, dangerous opponent)
Tavares doesn't make a lot of noise. this guy israel does. often by misusing, and overusing, the word 'cunt'. like an excited 15 year old. hope brad wins big and gets more recognition

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
Tavares doesn't make a lot of noise. this guy israel does. often by misusing, and overusing, the word 'cunt'. like an excited 15 year old. hope brad wins big and gets more recognition
The cunt's a kiwi, which is almost an Aussie cunt. There's no such thing as the overuse of misuse of the word 'cunt' in our culture, you can have good cunts, sick cunts, dumb cunts, and just downright cunts - it's a rich tapestry.

GSPTrainingInAPool

Man on the silver mountain
Dec 1, 2015
If stylebender can get a W he has to move into the top 15 ranking. Not top 10.

Unfortunately, unless you follow combat sports you probably have not heard of either of these guys. So regardless of good fight or not, i don't see this fight pulling huge numbers. But I like it

Jehannum

TMMAC's Most Handsome Artist
Jan 26, 2016
Very tough fight for The Last Stylebender (gay nickname) but we've all seen Tavares come up short in fights he had the skillset to win. Losing a decision to Romero but then getting destroyed by Boetsch in an admittedly awesome comeback makes me think he's gonna crumble if the going gets tough .. but I'm half expecting this fight to look like Galore Bofando vs Chad Laprise. (Flashy moves early then taken down, gassed and beaten up until a merciful stoppage)

Tavares definitely has the grappling to make it a long night if he's facing someone with little to no grappling experience.

could be great matchmaking, could be terrible, but as long as Adesanya wins the UFC will be happy I think.

distant1

Feb 13, 2017
its a tough fight for adesanya, tavares is physical/durable/works at a high pace; but he is a guy who essentially is a volume kickboxer, not so much a active wrestler or technical submission.

he is fine when plan a. works, awful when it doesn't and he has to make any kind of adjustment...

the biggest issue is his def isn't great and neither is his athleticism, he navigates both w/physicality and pace; that may not work w/a long athletic mobile guy w/great timing.

my concern is if he beats tavares he will be forced to jump up and he has too many specifc holes to compete at elite levels of mw