After 6 Days Cross-Country, Sudan BJJ Team Makes It to Tournament

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Super Dave

The party’s over
Dec 28, 2015

The seven Sudanese grapplers making a dangerous, 1740 mile-long road trip across Africa to their first BJJ tournament in Kenya has reached their destination safely…and with a few hours to spare. It only took six days, the van breaking down, and getting lost in the Ethiopian mountains on almost no sleep to do it.

For a while, according to updates posted to reddit, it looked like the van might not make it in time, but then the fighters sent this update from the Kenyan border yesterday:

Link: After 6 Days Cross-Country, Sudan BJJ Team Makes It to Tournament

jimmy boogaloo

General Links/Your Account
Nov 15, 2017
hope they all get submitted within the first minute and they are all packed, ready to leave again within a couple of hours.

Enock-O-Lypse Now!

Underneath Denver International Airport
Jun 19, 2016

The seven Sudanese grapplers making a dangerous, 1740 mile-long road trip across Africa to their first BJJ tournament in Kenya has reached their destination safely…and with a few hours to spare. It only took six days, the van breaking down, and getting lost in the Ethiopian mountains on almost no sleep to do it.

For a while, according to updates posted to reddit, it looked like the van might not make it in time, but then the fighters sent this update from the Kenyan border yesterday:

Link: After 6 Days Cross-Country, Sudan BJJ Team Makes It to Tournament
That’s some dedication to the sport, gotta love that!

Enock-O-Lypse Now!

Underneath Denver International Airport
Jun 19, 2016
You ever done any martial arts?
Did some martial arts around Aurora/Denver Colorado in the late 90’s early 00’s ..lot of cardio work up at Red Rocks Amphitheatre during that time.

Blew out my knee a couple times and decided to become a full time Internet forum conspiracy theorist.

The rest is history baby!

I admire anyone who will commit 100% to the sport they love ..that’s true dedication, that’s the type of drive it takes to make it in any sport.

Very cool story about the Sudan BJJ team.

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
While this is (North) Sudan, it's ridiculous how many South Sudanese refugees have made it as elite athletes already from Australia.

We've got Thon Maker and Deng Adel (apparently no good, but still, he made it there) playing in the NBA, and a couple more that have been drafted previously. We've also got a bunch of Aussie Rules players, which is notable because it's a such a ridiculous game that even elite professional athletes from other sports that have tried to pick it up suck at it. Plenty of domestic basketballers and soccer players too.

And I'm not even including second-generation. These are just the outright refugees themselves. There's only like 3,500 in the entire country, which includes the parents and other older people obviously. It's like a single high school's worth of people producing dozens of top athletes, if that high school was also dirt poor and everyone in it was suffering deep trauma.

My point is, if we can somehow get some proper economic development going in that country and setting up some MMA gyms, they'll start buttfucking the rest of the world.

M

member 603

Amazing story, thanks S @Super Dave for sharing it. I am going to share this story with several BJJ gear companies I know owners of, it would be awesome to see them sponsor this group of practitioners with gear.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
While this is (North) Sudan, it's ridiculous how many South Sudanese refugees have made it as elite athletes already from Australia.

We've got Thon Maker and Deng Adel (apparently no good, but still, he made it there) playing in the NBA, and a couple more that have been drafted previously. We've also got a bunch of Aussie Rules players, which is notable because it's a such a ridiculous game that even elite professional athletes from other sports that have tried to pick it up suck at it. Plenty of domestic basketballers and soccer players too.

And I'm not even including second-generation. These are just the outright refugees themselves. There's only like 3,500 in the entire country, which includes the parents and other older people obviously. It's like a single high school's worth of people producing dozens of top athletes, if that high school was also dirt poor and everyone in it was suffering deep trauma.

My point is, if we can somehow get some proper economic development going in that country and setting up some MMA gyms, they'll start buttfucking the rest of the world.
what is the state of aboriginee atheletes in austrailia?

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
what is the state of aboriginee atheletes in austrailia?
Well over-represented. Generally make up 10-15% of the two major sporting codes and only 3% of the population. One also plays in the NBA - Patty Mills.

Won't find many playing cricket though - that's still a pompous Englishman's game. The only top-level 'blackfella' to play cricket in my lifetime looked like this:

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Well over-represented. Generally make up 10-15% of the two major sporting codes and only 3% of the population. One also plays in the NBA - Patty Mills.

Won't find many playing cricket though - that's still a pompous Englishman's game. The only top-level 'blackfella' to play cricket in my lifetime looked like this:

is aboriginee correct or is there a better term for them these days?

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
is aboriginee correct or is there a better term for them these days?
'Aboriginee' could get you in a bit of trouble, whereas Aboriginal is fine but still not the politically correct term, which is Indigenous Australian.

Barely any Indigenous Australians where I'm from though so not the best person to ask regarding the protocols. We just have stupid white cunts who start random office meetings when there's like 5 of us white people in there by thanking the 'traditional owners of the land on which we meet'.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
'Aboriginee' could get you in a bit of trouble, whereas Aboriginal is fine but still not the politically correct term, which is Indigenous Australian.

Barely any Indigenous Australians where I'm from though so not the best person to ask regarding the protocols. We just have stupid white cunts who start random office meetings when there's like 5 of us white people in there by thanking the 'traditional owners of the land on which we meet'.
everything i know about austrailia i learned from crocodile dundee,@Miesha's Taint and Vutu

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
everything i know about austrailia i learned from crocodile dundee,@Miesha's Taint and Vutu
Bascially if you combine what you learned from Crocodile Dundee with what you learned visiting a lesbian bookstore in Portland, Oregon, you've basically got the gist of things in Australia.

Never_Rolled

First 10,000
Dec 17, 2018

My take is you guys are soft and need to bring shitholers in to compete.