Al Iaquinta: Dana White has zero power over me

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
So are you agreeing with me or being contrarian?
You dictionary.commed "contrarian" didn't you?

I hate people who leave weight cutting up to the last minute and put an opponen's' fight purse in jeopardy. I also hate the fact the opponent could end up injured because he's fighting someone with a weight advantage but would be considered a "pussy" for saying he doesn't want to take the fight on match day.

It's a huge thing for me, I know I probably sound like a twat for sounding off on it but I hate that opposing fighters feel that they have to take the fight.

Last edited:

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
....and they travel all over the world fight fit because they trained properly then find out their opponent's overweight. Fuck that.

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
Man... I really don't want to see Al or Justin lose this fight.

Although it could be pretty fun to see how much more fired up Al could get if he gets cut.

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015
Unfortunately, IMO, weight cutting is MMA...best weight cutters end up champs, A. Silva, Rhona, woodley, barao, aldo, connor, eventually cyborg...list goes on and on. People who can drop the highest percentage of body weight and still operate at peak levels become champs in MMA. For years, to me at least, it has felt that a key part of being a champ in MMA entails an ability to drop more weight than 90% of the division.
but could you imagine, if all of who you mentioned didn't cut the weight? They'll be in their prime form.

which is better? best version or the dehydrated version of the fighter?

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
If you cannot be on weight at least 2 days before a fight then you need to go up

Mix6APlix

The more you cry, the less I care.
Oct 20, 2015

I hate people who leave weight cutting up to the last minute and put an opponen's' fight purse in jeopardy. I also hate the fact the opponent could end up injured because he's fighting someone with a weight advantage but would be considered a "pussy" for saying he doesn't want to take the fight on match day.

It's a huge thing for me, I know I probably sound like a twat for sounding off on it but I hate that opposing fighters feel that they have to take the fight.
Seriously? I'm very articulate speaking American, and I would never have gotten my bartender into bed if I hadnt made a concentrated effort to use every bit of spanish I know. Honestly, I think when I mispoke actually was more endearing than when I spoke spanish correctly. It's the conjugation of the verbiage that trips me up. Shes happy to help with that...after laughing in my face when I butcher something i say. But at least i try.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Unfortunately, IMO, weight cutting is MMA...best weight cutters end up champs, A. Silva, Rhona, woodley, barao, aldo, connor, eventually cyborg...list goes on and on. People who can drop the highest percentage of body weight and still operate at peak levels become champs in MMA. For years, to me at least, it has felt that a key part of being a champ in MMA entails an ability to drop more weight than 90% of the division.
It doesn't have to be. HS/College Wrestling figured out how to manage weight-classes and force people to compete at a livable weight.

Weight-cutting is not a martial art. It has no place in Mixed Martial Arts.

Robbie Hart

Feb 13, 2015
It doesn't have to be. HS/College Wrestling figured out how to manage weight-classes and force people to compete at a livable weight.

Weight-cutting is not a martial art. It has no place in Mixed Martial Arts.
Yep.......there is no need for it.....if you can’t compete at your own weight against other people your own weight, then you suck

Robbie Hart

Feb 13, 2015
Leigh @Leigh didn’t you say to me that you had to gain weight early on in your career due to how weight classes were structured?

Must have been a bitch fighting guys who were cutting to get to the weight.....unfair advantage

Robbie Hart

Feb 13, 2015
no. I don't know how to do that, and I feel it would be over the top in almost any online interaction.

I hope you're not disappointed. Here's some prime Journey to pick you up.

Splinty @Splinty can you run the tapes back and check on him? I didn’t screenshot it but he gave me two winners on the same post minutes apart

Sex Chicken

Exotic Dancer
Sep 8, 2015
I think this is what the fighters have been waiting for, a relevant and popular UFC fighter to put his career in jeopardy in order to speak the truth and stand up for fighter’s interests. Hopefully this will give other people a more leverage to do the same. Good for Condo Al.

Last edited:

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Leigh @Leigh didn’t you say to me that you had to gain weight early on in your career due to how weight classes were structured?

Must have been a bitch fighting guys who were cutting to get to the weight.....unfair advantage
I did have to gain weight, yes. I was 150lbs fighting guys weighing 180lbs. I don't hold any grudges about anyone cutting weight, it's not cheating. But cutting sucks

Mix6APlix

The more you cry, the less I care.
Oct 20, 2015
I did have to gain weight, yes. I was 150lbs fighting guys weighing 180lbs. I don't hold any grudges about anyone cutting weight, it's not cheating. But cutting sucks
Its not cheating, but do you think it should be more regulated with something like you have to be within a certain percentage of your fight weigh a week before to prevent people from nearly killing themselves in a sauna the day before the fight?

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Its not cheating, but do you think it should be more regulated with something like you have to be within a certain percentage of your fight weigh a week before to prevent people from nearly killing themselves in a sauna the day before the fight?
That would be great but impractical for smaller promotions. Same day weigh ins would be the simplest way.

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
I’d like to know why 100 percent of these amateur / pro unknown fights have made weight no problem but UFC fighters who make significantly more money can’t hack it.

Obviously the time isn’t the problem.

Jdog93

.....?
Jun 2, 2016
"He has zero power over me" woah he's making Dana sound like the Devil. I mean he isn't the best guy but i dont th....wait a minute he IS Red.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015

Your argument makes sense because showing up on weight is the professional thing to do. The problem is that weight cutting itself is still firmly in the era of broscience. There are few universal standards that can be applied in terms of time, dietary restrictions, exercise, etc due to the variability of body types and time zones of residence among fighters. Dieting and weight loss wouldn't be the international cottage industry that it is if it weren't difficult and many of the nutritionists and dieticians consulting with fighters would probably consider the way fighters have to lose weight an unhealthy and debilitating practice that they would never recommend for a normal human.

I think more weight classes is the only answer. Boxing and wrestling don't deal with as many missed weights because of more sensible division construction. MMA's weight classes were based on a scarcity model when they were initially conceived. I think we're increasingly seeing they need to be revisited. This is a better solution than simply changing the time of day or measuring hydration levels.