Aldo: I had a spy in Edgar's training room for UFC 200

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Jose Aldo has revealed that he had a spy during UFC 200 fight week.

The UFC usually separates the fighters at the hotel in two different groups, and Aldo says that he looked at the list of athletes training at the second room to see who could give him information about Edgar’s training routine and strategy. According to the interim champion, that’s why he didn’t throw many kicks during the 25-minute fight.

"If I kicked, he’d take me down," Aldo said during a media day at Nova Uniao on Wednesday. "We had a few spies from the other side, people that were training with him the entire week, and they always came and talked to us. So I had to stop kicking and my left hand, because he would counter on that."

Asked one more time if he really had a spy in Las Vegas, Aldo doubled down.

"Of course I had. Otherwise, why wouldn’t I kick? That’s my instinct," Aldo said. "So we always have a spy. We send someone to be a part of that training [room] and then they give us information. We get that information and know what they are training."

Jose Aldo: I had a spy in Frankie Edgar's training room during UFC 200 fight week

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
Silly to admit that, now all the fighters warming up will be suspicious of the guys milling around.

StillReal

My name is Mark.
Mar 19, 2016
Silly to admit that, now all the fighters warming up will be suspicious of the guys milling around.
How is that silly to admit then? If it adds extra confusion to his future opponents mindset during training, its a beneficial distraction for Aldo.

Andrewsimar Palhardass

Women, dinosaurs, and the violence of the octagon.
Jan 8, 2016
That is an interesting thing for him to say. Surprised he didn't fear that it would take away from his win a bit.

Honestly though, watch the first fight. Aldo KILLED Frankie with a couple of leg kicks. Damn near swept him to the ground. Frankie caught one or two and Aldo stopped throwing them. I think that's more the reason why he didn't throw any.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Who knows if Aldo is even telling the truth. A lot of head games being played between him and Conor, so maybe this is directed at him in some weird way.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
I have to ask after thinking about this, how do either of these camps allow anyone "foreign" into their strategic sessions.....c'mon now, I'm naive, but even I don't believe it at this point in the game......no way, all talk

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
If it's true he should definitely fire the spy he had training with Conor. That guy must've been a double agent. Or perhaps he got confused and told Aldo to watch for the first Right had of the fight.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
I believe that Aldo has stopped kicking as much because it uses too much energy in five round fights. He was gassed hard by the end of the third against Uriah Faber and had to really coast the last two rounds back in the WEC. Since that fight we have gradually seen the improvement in Aldo's boxing and the decline of his kicking game, coinciding with his ability to pace himself throughout a fight.

To where he is now that he is confident enough in his hands to not need to throw many kicks, if any at all, and as a consequence he has looked increasingly fresh in the fifth round of a fight.

The EZ Life

Posting Machine
Aug 6, 2015
aldo really didn't need a spy to fight edgar. Did Edgar's gameplan surprise anyone? He always has the movement and the punching, a few kicks, and always will try to take down an opponent like aldo if the opportunity arises..

Now we know how fighters can counter Edgar's style somewhat easily... Become the counter striker, sit back, and only throw punches. It looked like a walk in the park for Aldo and that pisses me off a lil bit cause i wanted Edgar to win. Oh well

TheEmperorRises

Right click hospital, left click cemetery
Dec 4, 2015
He's trolling. He didn't need a spy to tell him Frankie would go for the takedown if he kicked. He also didn't throw a lot of kicks in their 1st fight.

Last edited:

regular john

Muay Thai World Champion
May 21, 2015
lol at you guys for taking this so seriously.

he was trolling hard and admited it already. Conor woke up Aldo.

"Sometimes we joke in interviews and it becomes a big story...To make it clear: I've always been a fair fighter. I got to where I am through my own and my team's hard work. I would never do something that goes against my principles (...) What I said about the "spy" was just a reference to an earlier comment made by McGregor, to tease him. I did it so he keeps his eyes open. Everybody knows that you can't change a lifetime's fighting style on fight week. It was clear to us that Frankie would use everything that worked for him in our first fight."

Vídeo: José Aldo afirma que história de "espião" no UFC 200 não passou de brincadeira - Portal do Vale Tudo

José Aldo se retrata e garante que não tinha espião no camp de Edgar