Aldo on meeting with UFC brass: ‘They have always been supportive of my career’

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

After weeks of utter disappointment, José Aldo is seemingly satisfied with his recent meeting with UFC executives.

Former long-time featherweight champion José Aldo has been one of the big-name fighters who have been most vocal about their dissatisfaction with the UFC. He even went as far as requesting his release from the company and threatening to quit MMA altogether.

His tune seemed to have changed after his meeting with executives Dana White and Sean Shelby on Wednesday afternoon at the UFC headquarters in Las Vegas. In his conversation with ESPN.com’s Brett Okamoto right after the sit-down, Aldo says that while discussions did go well, he remains uncertain about his future.

“It was great. It was a good conversation. We came in here knowing what we were coming in to. We knew…

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/10/19/13340114/ufc-jose-aldo-meeting-dana-white-fighting-mma-news

FadeToBlack

Rear Naked Poke
Mar 15, 2015
Aldo didn't want to slam the door shut on the big money like Conor got. He probably still holds out hope he can get a 2nd fight and cash in. So instead of giving Donut White the finger, he decided to just lay his cards out on the table and say, "here's where I stand. Now you tell me where you want to go from here."

regular john

Muay Thai World Champion
May 21, 2015
Aldo is obviously trying new tactics in the conor era and lacking the best tact to do so

He played the game like he was told to for years and got pushed aside and stepped over and made a fool the first time a new cash cow came in town.

Very easy to at least understand his pov.

M

member 3289

So he stopped having his period?
Fukin lol @ all the pre media crying before hand.
This and this. Just seems a bit fake now.

Aldo is obviously trying new tactics in the conor era and lacking the best tact to do so

He played the game like he was told to for years and got pushed aside and stepped over and made a fool the first time a new cash cow came in town.

Very easy to at least understand his pov.
No it's not. I can't understand it at all actually. He doesn't deserve to fight Conor yet. Fight Holloway or shut up ffs.

He didn't attract an audience because he fought safe and had boring fights. GSP is proof that you can have boring fights and still be successful, but Aldo doesn't have the charisma or the fluency in English to pull it off.

regular john

Muay Thai World Champion
May 21, 2015
No it's not. I can't understand it at all actually. He doesn't deserve to fight Conor yet. Fight Holloway or shut up ffs.

He didn't attract an audience because he fought safe and had boring fights. GSP is proof that you can have boring fights and still be successful, but Aldo doesn't have the charisma or the fluency in English to pull it off
you are simply ignoring his pov. like he's supposed to be an ufc puppet.

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
I'm really curious about what's going on. I watched his interview with Brett Okamoto that he was streaming via Periscope right after the meeting and Aldo seemed very sincere in what he was saying. I'm sure that Dana was putting his spin on things in the meeting but Aldo even commented that things are in a strange place with the new owners taking over. Aldo seemed to be in a good place and optimistic about things. Of course, he also said that if he didn't have a contract that he probably wouldn't be interested in fighting at all right now.

I always like it better when I can see Aldo and the interpreter actually speaking instead of it being reported in Portuguese and then translated to English and re-reported. There's often a lot that gets missed. Especially since he says a lot of things in very tongue in cheek ways and has a great sense of humor that just doesn't translate well in print.

TheEmperorRises

Right click hospital, left click cemetery
Dec 4, 2015
Anderson did a 180 too. Threats were made somewhere lol

Aldo had this to say about Bellator-
“It’s not about going to a different promotion,” said Aldo. “I’m not leaving the biggest championship in the world to play the ‘B League.’ I’m a big team. I want to be at the best promotion in the world, (and) if it’s not the UFC, I’m not fighting anywhere else. That’s what I want for my life.”

To which Pitbull responded-
“Aldo should remember he was once a WEC fighter, an organization said to be inferior to the UFC and that everyone thought he wouldn’t be able to beat any top lightweights if they chose to drop down,” the ex-Bellator champ said. “He seems to forget that the current UFC lightweight champion was once the Bellator champion too. Things change.”

I love Pitbull :)

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
I always felt the Brazillians were slightly misquoted, I have no backing for this but this situation is awfully similar to a lot of really weird U turns and random ass things Anderson has said over the years. From day to day contradicting himself. But, if it means I get to watch Aldo in the Octagon again, I am happy. An all time great with at least a couple more highlights still in him.

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016

He didn't attract an audience because he fought safe and had boring fights. GSP is proof that you can have boring fights and still be successful, but Aldo doesn't have the charisma or the fluency in English to pull it off.
Why are you pinked again?

I would 100% rather watch Aldo's highlight reel than GSP's. Considering the biggest star after which you name yourself was born in the 45 division it's hard to use the "lower weights arent as bigger draw" argument.

Not speaking english, whilst I cannot criticise him for it as in my belief sport is langauge free, it might have helped him in furthering his name in the ever more talkie fight game.

M

member 3289

Why are you pinked again?

I would 100% rather watch Aldo's highlight reel than GSP's. Considering the biggest star after which you name yourself was born in the 45 division it's hard to use the "lower weights arent as bigger draw" argument.

Not speaking english, whilst I cannot criticise him for it as in my belief sport is langauge free, it might have helped him in furthering his name in the ever more talkie fight game.
When was Aldo's last exciting fight that he didn't get knocked out in 13 seconds in?

Oh and here's how active of a fighter he is:

2012: one fight
2013: two fights
2014: two fights
2015: one fight
2016: one fight

Doesn't fight more than once a year for the past two years, goes on a string of decisions before getting knocked out, lacks the charisma of an Anderson Silva.

It's no surprise why he doesn't sell very well.

SCADA

Posting Machine
Oct 10, 2016
Anderson did a 180 too. Threats were made somewhere lol

Aldo had this to say about Bellator-
“It’s not about going to a different promotion,” said Aldo. “I’m not leaving the biggest championship in the world to play the ‘B League.’ I’m a big team. I want to be at the best promotion in the world, (and) if it’s not the UFC, I’m not fighting anywhere else. That’s what I want for my life.”

To which Pitbull responded-
“Aldo should remember he was once a WEC fighter, an organization said to be inferior to the UFC and that everyone thought he wouldn’t be able to beat any top lightweights if they chose to drop down,” the ex-Bellator champ said. “He seems to forget that the current UFC lightweight champion was once the Bellator champion too. Things change.”

I love Pitbull :)
Pitbull doesn't realize that the WEC was owned by the UFC? And that the UFC at the time did not have a 145lb division?

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
When was Aldo's last exciting fight that he didn't get knocked out in 13 seconds in?

Oh and here's how active of a fighter he is:

2012: one fight
2013: two fights
2014: two fights
2015: one fight
2016: one fight

Doesn't fight more than once a year for the past two years, goes on a string of decisions before getting knocked out, lacks the charisma of an Anderson Silva.

It's no surprise why he doesn't sell very well.
Chad Mendes fights 1 and 2 were good. And I enjoyed the most recent Frankie fight a lot. That's off the top of my head. I should go back and watch them though, and others. I forget how his Korean Zombie fight was before the finish.

I wouldnt call the Connie Aldo fight exciting, very surprising, yes, but at 13 seconds that isnt exciting.

Not saying he isnt slightly inactive but he fought all comers in turn, unlike Conor has since getting to the belt. Before the belt, OK he was pretty good at fighting everyone.

I also feel you cant use 2015. He fought Conor as a 9 year champ, lost out in a bizarre manner, then expected to get the immediate rematch that he deserved, like so many others had been getting, and got left on the shelf.

You make good points and I do agree a lot with your view on marketing himself/charisma, but bias towards a man screwing a division out of a genuine title fight is making your view weirdly lobsided.