Aldo on turning down McGregor rematch

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

When Rafael Dos Anjos pulled out of UFC 196 due to a foot injury, José Aldo was called in as one of the potential replacements to face Conor McGregor.

However, the former long-time featherweight champion turned down the UFC’s offer, despite a previous declaration of wanting to fight McGregor ‘anytime, anywhere’.

According to Team Nova União head coach Andre Pederneiras, stepping in on ten days’ notice was not enough time to prepare for the fight. This was corroborated by Aldo himself during his interview on Monday’s edition of The MMA Hour.

"Any professional needs time to train. It’s not a cockfight where I go there and put my rooster to fight," Aldo said. "It’s a high-level sport, I’m going there to do my job."

"When I have time to train, it can happen at any time, anywhere."

LINK: Aldo on turning down McGregor rematch at UFC 196: 'Any professional needs time to train'

Apr 3, 2015
I am a gigantic Aldo fan, and I dont have many nice things to say about Conor etc.

that being said.....

he fought Conor what? 3 months ago? he hasnt fought since, hasnt trained for anyone else. and before that he spent how long training for Conor? you cant tell me you wouldnt have been ready. thats just not possible. I honestly dont see how Aldo refuses that fight and looks good while doing it.

IMO, Aldo is shaken. and I dont blame him, if I got KO'd in the first 20 seconds of the biggest fight of my career I would be apprehensive of fighting ever again too.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
he fought Conor what? 3 months ago? he hasnt fought since, hasnt trained for anyone else. and before that he spent how long training for Conor? you cant tell me you wouldnt have been ready. thats just not possible. I honestly dont see how Aldo refuses that fight and looks good while doing it.
This is a good point. This wasn't a short notice fight for someone else. This was the same guy that you just prepped for.

On the other hand, Aldo was ordered no contact for 50% of the time he has been off.
I'm not sure what his training regiment is, but maybe the only thing that is going to move him forward at this point is ring time. Or maybe that's just mental and he needs the sparring to get his head right. Whatever it is, it doesn't sound like the 6 weeks of pad work and working out is his usual way of prepping for a fight.
He would have had 3-4 weeks of no restrictions so far, so I'm not sure how much more he wants to prep for a "short term" fight.

Clappin'Daddys

Posting Machine
Sep 9, 2015
If someone isn't ready the fight, he shouldn't fight. Smart on aldos part.

Dude needs to come back in the right state of mind, and continue how he was.

He will come back strong.

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
This would all be well and good if he didnt say he was going to keep training if someone pulled out and he was needed.

Greenbean

Posting Machine
Nov 14, 2015
I've done a 180 on how I feel about these guys. I'm not one to jump ship when someone loses, so I'm surprised I respect Conor so much and Aldo much less at this point in time. I should have been on the Conor train much earlier.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
I wouldn't even fault Aldo for taking a year off. It would be no shame. But this talking from the sidelines simply doesn't work. I happen to think that Aldo is still number one of this division, well with the exception of McGregor of course. He needs a year off, he's been at the top for a long long time.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
“That’s what he wants the most. He wants it so much that he’s already training conditioning, jiu-jitsu and boxing. Nothing too excessive, of course, but he wants to stay in shape. He’s not lazy. He will always be expecting that chance to get the fight on short notice, otherwise he might not get another chance. He’s got that notion in his mind so he’s staying active.”

Aldo can do all the verbal gymnastics to try to explain his decision, but his own coach blew up his spot back on Jan 19th.

He was training in anticipation of getting a short notice fight because he might not get another chance. A little over a month later, he gets the call and turns it down.

I think Aldo just wants Conor to move up permanently and forget about him. He doesn't want another McGregor fight. The hell that Conor put him through, all the insults and mind warfare, then knocking him out in 13 seconds... he wants more of it.

Silverball

Feb 24, 2015
Conor had it right, Aldo needs ten months to a year off to recover from the knockout he suffered.

Gibberish

Posting Machine
Dec 2, 2015
Sensible decision. He should have accepted it though, not like the UFC were ever going to make it happen. No way Conor is making FW again.