Aldo wants Volkanovski next, according to Aldo's coach

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

MovinOn

Canis lupus familiaris
Jan 3, 2018

After yet another incredible victory, the former featherweight king and all-time great Jose Aldo is once again making serious waves within his division.

Wrongfully counted out in his last two outings against rising contenders, Aldo showed them both why he’s the legend that he is and still has plenty left in the tank.

However, with his retirement planned out, it begs the question of who will be Aldo’s final dance partners? Aldo’s longtime coach and manager Andre Pederneiras recently shared ideal opponent and why.

“We want him to fight Alexander Volkanovski, the guy who knocked out Chad Mendes, the guy who is the best ranked,” Pederneiras said when speaking on Confraria da Porrada. “In fact, it is the following: we have a dream to dispute the title, which is difficult. So we have the dream of our last fight to get there.

“There are only two possibilities. Max Holloway moves up in weight and leaves the belt vacant, and Aldo would be the postulate to the title, even for the history that he has and for being the first of the ranking, or to eliminate all the contenders. The Moicano fight was the first contender, in our head, and the second would be Alexander Volkanovski, who is the fourth-ranked now. Or Frankie Edgar, I don’t believe they give him the title shot while having lost to Aldo. So the guy in our head who would be the next title challenger would be Alexander now. We’re talking.”

Coach: Jose Aldo wants Alexander Volkanovski next | BJPenn.com

If I was Aldo's coach, I'd say, "Not Volkanovski. Pick another god damn opponent!!!"

He's trying to close out his career with a couple more fights. Alex "The Great" is too high risk, IMO.

BenAskrensStrikingcoach

Formerly formulating formally
Jan 30, 2015
Would be a great scrap, great style match up.

Volkonovski has been stopped before, Aldo is the better striker and his takedown defence is amazing, I like his odds.

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Aldo all day every day...He fares great vs guys that aren't longer than him.. his only losses were to bigger men in Conor and Max.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Dede needs to make a stipulation with the UFC that in order to book any NU fighters they have to give Leo Santos a fight first. They've sidelined him for almost 2 years for no discernible reason.