Alexander Gustafsson discusses possible Yoel Romero fight, other possible opponents

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Long-time UFC light heavyweight contender Alexander Gustafsson hasn’t stepped into the Octagon in over a year, and he’s looking for a fight. A title shot ideally, but the idea of that went was put on hold when champion Daniel Cormier signed on to fight heavyweight champ Stipe Miocic at UFC 226. Gustafsson wasn’t happy that the division was held up, but eventually turned his sights on Luke Rockhold.

Then Rockhold got hurt.

So now it’s unclear who Gustafsson might fight next. After Yoel Romero missed the middleweight limit at UFC 225 and subsequently lost a close decision to Robert Whittaker, UFC president Dana White suggested a light heavyweight contender fight between Gus…

Alexander Gustafsson discusses possible Yoel Romero fight, other possible opponents

TheEmperorRises

Right click hospital, left click cemetery
Dec 4, 2015
Yeah I think Gus would put it on him. Too much size, length, power, etc.
I don't think so. Look at this monster

I know this though- Romero vs Gus moves my needle. That's a fight I'd be excited to see. As long as he makes weight....

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I don't think so. Look at this monster

I know this though- Romero vs Gus moves my needle. That's a fight I'd be excited to see. As long as he makes weight....
How many years ago was that? Gus will fuck his world up. I would be willing to bet $1000 virtual bucks on it.

TheEmperorRises

Right click hospital, left click cemetery
Dec 4, 2015
How many years ago was that? Gus will fuck his world up. I would be willing to bet $1000 virtual bucks on it.
It was against weaker competition too. It just blows my mind that he did that at all.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Last edited:

ShakaSway

The Unintentional Voice of Reason
Oct 18, 2015
It was against weaker competition too. It just blows my mind that he did that at all.
I kinda wanna watch the whole fight to see why his opponent read that as a strike to the head, but that was smooth. Romero excells at goofy explosive maneuvers.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I kinda wanna watch the whole fight to see why his opponent read that as a strike to the head, but that was smooth. Romero excells at goofy explosive maneuvers.
He was respecting the power because he either had felt it or saw it on tape...Yoel is very accurate with those hands

ShakaSway

Oct 18, 2015
He was respecting the power because he either had felt it or saw it on tape...Yoel is very accurate with those hands
Appreciate the insight good sir, trying to get better at breaking down fights and making that kind of analysis

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Appreciate the insight good sir, trying to get better at breaking down fights and making that kind of analysis
well I am just guessing...others may have other perspective or insight

I am good with body language in fights, and "getting in someones head"...but hard to be 100% sure what he was thinking

My book on Yoel, is that he has Very Heavy hands and Very fast strikes...he doesn't throw often, but when he does it is almost always with KO power...He is also very accurate and has one of the highest knockdown to power shot landed of anybody under 200lbs I have seen(I don't have stats but when he lands people fall)

Basically you have to respect his power, Robert Whitaker has an iron chin and amazing recovery...most guys don't survive getting rocked by Yoel

ShakaSway

Oct 18, 2015
well I am just guessing...others may have other perspective or insight

I am good with body language in fights, and "getting in someones head"...but hard to be 100% sure what he was thinking

My book on Yoel, is that he has Very Heavy hands and Very fast strikes...he doesn't throw often, but when he does it is almost always with KO power...He is also very accurate and has one of the highest knockdown to power shot landed of anybody under 200lbs I have seen(I don't have stats but when he lands people fall)

Basically you have to respect his power, Robert Whitaker has an iron chin and amazing recovery...most guys don't survive getting rocked by Yoel
Its good judgement though overall. Because Yoel’s movement in that gif isn’t one to strike, unless its an overhand or feint that leads to something. One of my brothers wrestled and got a scholarship for it, and always mentioned the fake high go low scenario. Yoel didn’t fake high. So assuming you are very right in this matter.

100% agree, Yoel always has something in the tank when seemingly gassed. Against Wiedman he seemed out of it, then boom. He always has a “boom”. Also extremely unpredictable, think a good example is his stances against Whittaker in the second fight. Changed his hands completely a couple times.

Against Gus, eh, think Gus can win a technical game, but Romero always has KO power to stop whenever.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Its good judgement though overall. Because Yoel’s movement in that gif isn’t one to strike, unless its an overhand or feint that leads to something. One of my brothers wrestled and got a scholarship for it, and always mentioned the fake high go low scenario. Yoel didn’t fake high. So assuming you are very right in this matter.

100% agree, Yoel always has something in the tank when seemingly gassed. Against Wiedman he seemed out of it, then boom. He always has a “boom”. Also extremely unpredictable, think a good example is his stances against Whittaker in the second fight. Changed his hands completely a couple times.

Against Gus, eh, think Gus can win a technical game, but Romero always has KO power to stop whenever.
yep breaking down exchanges and tendencies is a fun part of being a fan of these badasses

IMO Gus is pro boxer level boxing and extreme length with great footwork, very tough guy...I feel like he could be too long and too big..but yoel is not to be overlooked

Yoel really does have a lot of 3rd round shocking finishes...when his health bar is full beware

ShakaSway

Oct 18, 2015
yep breaking down exchanges and tendencies is a fun part of being a fan of these badasses

IMO Gus is pro boxer level boxing and extreme length with great footwork, very tough guy...I feel like he could be too long and too big..but yoel is not to be overlooked

Yoel really does have a lot of 3rd round shocking finishes...when his health bar is full beware
I love Gus tremendously, style, basically a modern day viking, is awesome. But he has a horrible tendency to look directly at his corner when they are shouting instructions. Against Johnson, Johnson was able to take notice to Gus’ corner to know he was gonna throw a front push kick because they were yelling “teep” so loud.

Against DC, Gus turned his head completely in the early rounds (cant recall which one) to listen in. DC didn’t punish him for it, but feel like Romero would indeed use his split second power to finish it. Gus is tough, but we are shown that powerful competitors can take him out. That would be my only worry.

At the same time however, Gus has shown he also has early explosive surprise power. When he rocked DC in round 2 or 3, cant remember, that was hellacious power. But he does lose a lot of pep as fights go on. But Yoel always has pep. Would be a great fight

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
I love Gus tremendously, style, basically a modern day viking, is awesome. But he has a horrible tendency to look directly at his corner when they are shouting instructions. Against Johnson, Johnson was able to take notice to Gus’ corner to know he was gonna throw a front push kick because they were yelling “teep” so loud.

Against DC, Gus turned his head completely in the early rounds (cant recall which one) to listen in. DC didn’t punish him for it, but feel like Romero would indeed use his split second power to finish it. Gus is tough, but we are shown that powerful competitors can take him out. That would be my only worry.

At the same time however, Gus has shown he also has early explosive surprise power. When he rocked DC in round 2 or 3, cant remember, that was hellacious power. But he does lose a lot of pep as fights go on. But Yoel always has pep. Would be a great fight
This is a good point, it's one of the most ridiculously amateur things I have ever seen a top-level pro regularly do.

And to be clear, it's not just the corner yelling in the Rumble fight - he turns his head fully towards them as the fight is reset, and then just immediately throws it with no regard to the proper distance between him and Rumble. And it's not only has Rumble has heard them yelling, he's seen Gus literally look at them and nod his head. It was the direct cause of the KO.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
This is a good point, it's one of the most ridiculously amateur things I have ever seen a top-level pro regularly do.

And to be clear, it's not just the corner yelling in the Rumble fight - he turns his head fully towards them as the fight is reset, and then just immediately throws it with no regard to the proper distance between him and Rumble. And it's not only has Rumble has heard them yelling, he's seen Gus literally look at them and nod his head. It was the direct cause of the KO.

well it was a head butt

But I agree with him not needing to do that predictable behavior and Shaka Sway observing it...never really thought about it before

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
well it was a head butt

But I agree with him not needing to do that predictable behavior and Shaka Sway observing it...never really thought about it before
It's just a bizarrely shit instinct and bizarrely shit coaching. Let alone those of us who have competed in MMA, I'm sure we've all played various sports where we have coaches yelling at us during play and I can't remember me or seeing any of my teammates turning and actually having to look at the cunts to hear them. And this isn't when Rumble is standing in front of us trying to take our heads off.

And if I was the yelling coach (I'd be a dipshit for yelling so loud too though), the first time I saw Gus actually turn and look at me, surely the reaction is to go 'whoa, whoa, whoa what the fuck are you doing? Don't look at me, keep your eyes on your opponent.'

ShakaSway

Oct 18, 2015
It's just a bizarrely shit instinct and bizarrely shit coaching. Let alone those of us who have competed in MMA, I'm sure we've all played various sports where we have coaches yelling at us during play and I can't remember me or seeing any of my teammates turning and actually having to look at the cunts to hear them. And this isn't when Rumble is standing in front of us trying to take our heads off.

And if I was the yelling coach (I'd be a dipshit for yelling so loud too though), the first time I saw Gus actually turn and look at me, surely the reaction is to go 'whoa, whoa, whoa what the fuck are you doing? Don't look at me, keep your eyes on your opponent.'
I train every now and then, but the biggest advice my coach, Jeff Nolasco, gave me is hear me, dont acknowledge me. Had entire session where I had a blindfold on and did as he instructed. I am not trying to compare to a pro level athletes training, but im surprise Gus has this problem

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015

Ya thats true...just absorb the info...I only played Basketball and Football and I never took my eyes off the field
I fully agree...I would never take my eyes of Rumble

Was just pointing out a head butt was big part of finish...all on Gus, but it still was a big impact

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
I train every now and then, but the biggest advice my coach, Jeff Nolasco, gave me is hear me, dont acknowledge me. Had entire session where I had a blindfold on and did as he instructed. I am not trying to compare to a pro level athletes training, but im surprise Gus has this problem
Interesting. Maybe it is more of a common problem than I thought, but one that clearly gets ironed out of professional fighters.

So I mainly blame it on his coaches. Anyway, I can guarantee exactly what will happen if he does it vs Romero: