Alexandr Romanov intends to leave no doubt in his ascent to heavyweight glory

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Drake

Cunning Linguist
Jul 9, 2017

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ift3a395Zwg

The heavyweight division is one that is about as consistently unpredictable as any in the sport of MMA. Currently on the rise out of Moldova is the unbeaten Alexandr “King Kong” Romanov.

With three more wins, the 30-year-old behemoth sees himself in title contention — an area that he believes needs more activity.

“I understand that now in heavyweight we have some problems with the champ being not so active,” Romanov told MyMMANews. “He makes just one fight in a year. I think this is a little problem for all of our division. I think the champ must make two or three fights in a year because he must show that he is No. 1. If he just makes one fight in a year it makes very many questions because the rest of the division remains without work.”

Having fought only one man since 2018, reigning UFC champion Stipe Miocic is set to face yet another familiar face in Francis Ngannou at UFC 260 on March 27. With a win the first time around, Romanov sees the champ as a favorite with his high fight IQ and distance management. He notes that the longer the fight goes, similar to their UFC 220 clash, the better Miocic’s chances.

As for what’s on the immediate horizon for the 13-0 finisher himself remains to be determined as he continues honing his craft early into the new year.

“I have talked with my manager and they say probably March,” Romanov said of his potential next time out. “But I don’t know who it will be. I want it to be top 10 which will be very fun for me and my team. We can make the next step in our career. If we win against somebody from the top 10 we can go up and this can change our situation

“I want to fight with [Marcin] Tybura because I don’t like when my career has questions. I want to close this question. After this, I can go without problems, without these questions.”

Continued: Alexandr Romanov intends to leave no doubt in his ascent to heavyweight glory