Alistair Overeem And Other Ranked UFC Fighters Most Likely To Follow Benson Henderson to Bellator

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

TheEmperorRises

Right click hospital, left click cemetery
Dec 4, 2015

The UFC has reigned supreme over the mixed martial arts marketplace for the past decade, buying out and absorbing competing promotions under the Zuffa banner. But with MMA fighters finding more leverage in free agency as the sport’s popularity continues to grow, rival companies are beginning to make a comeback.

Bellator MMA is the first one starting to make a serious push, most recently poaching former UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson from Dana White and co. on Monday. The Henderson deal was historic, as no former UFC champion had ever switched to Bellator while still in the prime of his or her career.

Two days later, Bellator President Scott Coker inked Sergei Kharitinov, one of the hottest free agents on the market and a man who has defeated current UFC heavyweight champion Fabricio Werdum.

Coker, the former head of Strikeforce — the last major MMA organization acquired by the UFC — has vowed to stock his rosterwith more big names as the year progresses, and he should not find too much trouble given Bellator’s mass media backing (owned by Viacom) and sponsorship incentives (no uniform deal).

But which current UFC fighters are most likely to follow in Henderson’s footsteps?

Full story here-

LINK: Alistair Overeem And Other Ranked UFC Fighters Most Likely To Follow Benson Henderson to Bellator

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
Awesome.

When Benson jumped ship to Bellator, Dana said “He’s a former world champion who’s ranked No. 15 now. We’re looking for top-5 guys, guys that are going from 15 to 1, not the other way around."

Well, Overeem is ranked #3 in the world by you guys and coming off a huge KO win over JDS.

Aljamain is undefeated and ranked #5 in a BW division that - let's face it - doesn't have a lot of depth and where he is much needed.

Treadstone06

I got 2 words for ya...
Apr 20, 2015
I'm glad that the fighters are getting paid more but I'm curious as to how the fighters still involved in the monopoly lawsuit feel about this. From my view, Henderson leaving-greatly moreso if Overeem leaves- helps the UFC side of that case by leaps and bounds. Just a thought on it.

TheEmperorRises

Dec 4, 2015
I'm glad that the fighters are getting paid more but I'm curious as to how the fighters still involved in the monopoly lawsuit feel about this. From my view, Henderson leaving-greatly moreso if Overeem leaves- helps the UFC side of that case by leaps and bounds. Just a thought on it.
I believe this doesn't effect the lawsuit- that the lawsuit covers a certain period of time.

BackOffWarchild

First 100
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Legally, nothing that takes place after the lawsuit was filed has any impact on the suit itself. These signings mean nothing.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
The UFC still owns Benson's likeness and he was only allowed to leave because he had no contract. For every Benson there's a TJ Grant who's gone from being ranked #2 to working in a mine.

stielar

Posting Machine
Dec 30, 2015
Since forbes or whatever the site is called won't allow me to connect if I don't disable my adblocker, would someone care to tell me if it actually give any sources claiming that Overeem is likely to follow Henderson? Not about to disable my adblocker for one website.

TheEmperorRises

Dec 4, 2015
Since forbes or whatever the site is called won't allow me to connect if I don't disable my adblocker, would someone care to tell me if it actually give any sources claiming that Overeem is likely to follow Henderson? Not about to disable my adblocker for one website.
Alistair Overeem (#2 UFC HW): The former Strikeforce and Dream heavyweight champion could be in line for a title shot in the UFC, but rumors are swirling that Coker’s contract offer could be much more lucrative than White’s. Pair that with Overeem’s marketability — in other words, his ability to draw big-money sponsors that the UFC’s Reebok deal does not allow for — and potential to be billed as the face of Bellator, and a deal from his former boss could be too good to turn down. Of course, the UFC holds matching rights over the free-agent Dutch kickboxer, and White could break the bank to reward Reem’s recent climb up the rankings (and to save face).

stielar

Posting Machine
Dec 30, 2015
Thanks emperorrises. Well, what is actually written doesn't really reflect the title of the article. Bellator should really break bank to snatch Overeem. Personally I'd rather see him end up in Rizin, but we'll see what happens.

CRE

Posting Machine
Apr 24, 2015
Paying Benson Henderson a bunch of money is a guaranteed way to fail.

No casuals tune in for Benson Henderson fights.

This is just more wins for the UFC.

Give Bellator guys with bloated contracts and demands, cutting practically dead weight.

No wonder everyone who tries to compete with the UFC dies.

There isn't a market for these guys.

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
Awesome.

When Benson jumped ship to Bellator, Dana said “He’s a former world champion who’s ranked No. 15 now. We’re looking for top-5 guys, guys that are going from 15 to 1, not the other way around."

Well, Overeem is ranked #3 in the world by you guys and coming off a huge KO win over JDS.

Aljamain is undefeated and ranked #5 in a BW division that - let's face it - doesn't have a lot of depth and where he is much needed.

Your link leads to Forbes.com's main page?

mmadotcomisufcdotcom

Oct 26, 2015
The UFC still owns Benson's likeness and he was only allowed to leave because he had no contract. For every Benson there's a TJ Grant who's gone from being ranked #2 to working in a mine.
Does that mean if there was a Bellator video game or movie Bellator would have to pay UFC for his likeness to be used?

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Does that mean if there was a Bellator video game or movie Bellator would have to pay UFC for his likeness to be used?
Not sure, I don't think so, but it does mean that the UFC can continue putting Bendo in their video games, without paying him, until the end of time. Selling his kits, making action figures, etc.

TheEmperorRises

Dec 4, 2015
Not sure, I don't think so, but it does mean that the UFC can continue putting Bendo in their video games, without paying him, until the end of time. Selling his kits, making action figures, etc.
I've yet to see anyone wearing a UFC fight kit. That shits gonna be like the Sasquatch of the MMA world. People claiming they've seen it out in the wild, but only having blurry out of focus photos and video to try and prove it.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
I've yet to see anyone wearing a UFC fight kit. That shits gonna be like the Sasquatch of the MMA world. People claiming they've seen it out in the wild, but only having blurry out of focus photos and video to try and prove it.
I'd actually meant to put an "LOL" after I wrote kits. I'm thinking about buying one because 50 years from now they'll probably be rare enough to be valuable.

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
I don't think it matters. At the time of the lawsuit this wasn't the case.
Even if the UFC is "letting" this happen, it isn't relevant retroactively.....

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Bwahahahahahaha!!!

Jehannum

TMMAC's Most Handsome Artist
Jan 26, 2016
Presuming a Bellator employee wrote that article ....

"Other Ranked UFC Fighters Most Likely To Follow Benson Henderson to Bellator" ... what?
"Sergei Kharitinov, one of the hottest free agents" ... what?