Aljamain Sterling: ‘My next fight better be on the goddamn main card’

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

UFC bantamweight fighter Aljamain Sterling may have just bagged the biggest victory of his career at UFC 214 when he defeated former champion Renan Barao. Now 2-2 in his last four fights, “The Funk Master” is making his demands for his near fighting future.

“Honestly, my next fight better be on the goddamn main card. I’m not even kidding at this point,” Sterling told MMAjunkie. “This is beyond ridiculous if you ask me. (UFC 214) was a blockbuster card on paper, so I get that, but I’m like, ‘Wow, you guys got Barao, a former world champ, on the undercard.’ It’s kind of crazy. But I think I deserve my fair shake at this point.”

“I think I have a big enough name now. I’m eight fights into my UFC career,” he added. “So,…

Sterling: ‘My next fight better be on the main card’

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
Invicta early prelims
I really don't have anything bad to say about the guy but threatening that type of stuff is going to do nothing good for you when your leverage is gone after re-signing with the org......I was actually impressed with his last fight, but this isn't going to help

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Aljo has earned a top contender main card spot for sure. His next fight should be for #1 contender.

Chromium

Posting Machine
Oct 10, 2016
While Aljamain has certainly earned a main-card spot at this point, what the fuck leverage does he have? For that matter, why did he sign an 8-fight contract???

Last time around, he had gone 4-0 on his first contract and was a top 10 BW. He ended up re-signing for a lowball UFC offer because Bellator, much to their discredit, amazingly wasn't all that interested. If he'd re-signed for another four fights, which would have been a standard UFC contract, he'd be sitting pretty right now.

He just beat a former world champion and he's only ever lost to top 10 fighters, and then only by split decision. I have a feeling Bellator would probably send him a pretty nice offer this time around, since it seems they have a bigger budget now.

Yet, after all the struggling he did to get a remotely fair offer, he re-signed for 8 fucking fights and now right in the middle of that he's feeling lowballed again. I still feel for the guy, and the UFC could definitely utilize and promote him better, but it's definitely harder to feel sympathy right now.

I really, really hope he didn't fall for the bullshit where he got promised a $500k payday if he made it to a world title shot.

TheEmperorRises

Right click hospital, left click cemetery
Dec 4, 2015
While Aljamain has certainly earned a main-card spot at this point, what the fuck leverage does he have? For that matter, why did he sign an 8-fight contract???

Last time around, he had gone 4-0 on his first contract and was a top 10 BW. He ended up re-signing for a lowball UFC offer because Bellator, much to their discredit, amazingly wasn't all that interested. If he'd re-signed for another four fights, which would have been a standard UFC contract, he'd be sitting pretty right now.

He just beat a former world champion and he's only ever lost to top 10 fighters, and then only by split decision. I have a feeling Bellator would probably send him a pretty nice offer this time around, since it seems they have a bigger budget now.

Yet, after all the struggling he did to get a remotely fair offer, he re-signed for 8 fucking fights and now right in the middle of that he's feeling lowballed again. I still feel for the guy, and the UFC could definitely utilize and promote him better, but it's definitely harder to feel sympathy right now.
He's a Ray Longo/Matt Serra guy. I don't think any of those guys are ever going to Bellator, no matter what the offer is.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Fuck did I miss this fight? I think I saw it. A win over BaraoBarak is great. UFC should put him on in a main card imo.

Wait did he call out Cruz?

Chromium

Posting Machine
Oct 10, 2016
He's a Ray Longo/Matt Serra guy. I don't think any of those guys are ever going to Bellator, no matter what the offer is.
Why is that? I mean, I know Matt Serra is a close buddy of Dana White's, but that can't possibly be it by itself. What's the deal here?

delightone

Insert Crown here
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
To be honest i missed this fight, i never knew they fought, just watched it back on youtube.
Al Sterling should just take a few W's and than ask for the spot he lost a few not so long ago.

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015

I really, really hope he didn't fall for the bullshit where he got promised a $500k payday if he made it to a world title shot.
UFC only does 8 fight contracts as I recall.... except for special exceptions.

Chromium

Posting Machine
Oct 10, 2016
UFC only does 8 fight contracts as I recall.... except for special exceptions.
That would be a very recent development if that's true. For years, 4-fight contracts were the standard unless you were a star (in which case it was 6 or 8). This has been a bit less true in recent years, but someone getting an 8-fight contract early in their career would be a pretty major change. Then again WME has been changing up things a lot lately.