Aljamain Sterling- "We got an offer this week from Bellator"

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

TheEmperorRises

Right click hospital, left click cemetery
Dec 4, 2015

In part 1 of this interview, #5 ranked UFC Bantamweight Aljamain Sterling speaks with Matthew Wells about the latest updates surrounding his contract situation. With Benson Henderson signing with Bellator, the free agent market is alive and well in mixed martial arts, proving that promotions other than the UFC are capable of signing the biggest names in the sport.

Aljamain explained he received an offer from Bellator and WSOF this week.

Full story (w/video) here-

LINK:
[Video] Aljamain Sterling – “We got an offer this week from Bellator”

RickStorm

Posting Machine
Jan 30, 2015
I wonder if this is going to help that whole lawsuit against UFC's monopoly thing going on.

I have no idea how any of that works, but it sounds like it would

Also makes me wonder if UFC is letting this happen for just that reason

Things that make you go hmmmmmm

Clappin'Daddys

Posting Machine
Sep 9, 2015
I wonder if this is going to help that whole lawsuit against UFC's monopoly thing going on.

Lawsuit is from a fixed time period in the past. This doesn't affect that

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015

I think at this point they've admitted to themselves they are a monopoloy, and this is the only way for succesful ending to the lawsuit.

TheEmperorRises

Dec 4, 2015

Maybe but I doubt it- I think it has more to do with a) Bellator co-promoting and allowing fighters to kickbox if they so choose b) the Reebok deal and c) Bellator being open to a fighters union

Obi-Wan-In-A-Million

I'm the Wan you've been looking for.
Oct 29, 2015

That has been in the back of mind this whole time. I'm glad these guys are getting paid closer to what they're worth, but it might just be the UFC screwing with their careers to make itself look good. I can't shake that feeling.

canofsticks

I'm just here for the rumham
Aug 4, 2015

I mentioned this in another thread that it would seem plausible that the UFC is thinking ahead to future possible lawsuits revolving around monopoly, anti-competitive behavior, etc and is willing to let some of their good (but not seat-sellers) go over to Bellator. Bendo is a perfect example. He's not selling PPVs. So why not let him go to Bellator? If someone accuses the UFC of being a monopoly they can point to him (and likely others in the future) and say "no, see some of our previous champs have gone to other orgs!"

That bolsters their position on this matter for any future issues, AND they don't have to keep high-level boring fighters.

TheEmperorRises

Dec 4, 2015
That bolsters their position on this matter for any future issues, AND they don't have to keep high-level boring fighters.
Benson has gone to a few decisions, so as much of a fan of the guy as I am, I'll concede that one (don't agree but I can see how some might).

But on what planet is Overeem, Wanderlei, Mitrione or Sterling considered boring..?

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Benson has gone to a few decisions, so as much of a fan of the guy as I am, I'll concede that one (don't agree but I can see how some might).

But on what planet is Overeem, Wanderlei, Mitrione or Sterling considered boring..?
guartee Bendo goes all out like the WEC days cuz he's not worried about zuffa..

canofsticks

I'm just here for the rumham
Aug 4, 2015

I didn't say they were?
Edit: I was talking about letting guys like Bendo go.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
That has been in the back of mind this whole time. I'm glad these guys are getting paid closer to what they're worth, but it might just be the UFC screwing with their careers to make itself look good. I can't shake that feeling.
UFC knows they're fucked. The days of dictatorship are over. Times are a changin'.

TheEmperorRises

Dec 4, 2015
I liked him. I shamefully admit one of my favorite fighters is Fitch.
No shame in that- I'm not a fan, but I always respected his style and would defend it when people complained that Fitch was making fights boring. If you can't stop his takedowns or get back to your feet without the refs help, then you deserve to be held down.

P

Punch

No shame in that- I'm not a fan, but I always respected his style and would defend it when people complained that Fitch was making fights boring. If you can't stop his takedowns or get back to your feet without the refs help, then you deserve to be held down.
Agreed. To use a simile from a different activity, it's like campers in FPS. It's a legitimate strategy, and if you can't stop the exploit don't play the game.

soundoff71

Posting Machine
Jan 29, 2015
The go-to strategy.

Makes the rankings seem even less legitimate. I think they're better off getting rid of these rankings all together.
Meanwhile guys have to rely on those rankings to determine how little they get paid. What a scam.