Aljo's Concussion: Its Still Real To Him Dammit

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
Has the UFC ever allowed knees to the head of a downed opponent? Come on, Yan. These fouls are getting ridiculous.

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
Has the UFC ever allowed knees to the head of a downed opponent? Come on, Yan. These fouls are getting ridiculous.
There was a rule change at some point over the lsst 2 years related to 2 point. 3 point or 4 points of contact (i dont know the details. But im pretry sure the rules deoend on which state or country commission your event is held in)

SuperPig @Willthiswork or jason73 @jason73 or actually no forget them. Sex Chicken @Sex Chicken can you opine?? Is there any place where you need 3 or 4 points of contsct to the ground for it to be illegal?

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
In the words of Vince McMahon, Aljo didn't screw Peter...uh...Petro...Pee-odour? No, Peyote screwed Pedo.

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
Aljamain had both feet and one knee down. Nowadays, its not technically a 3 point system. Its the referees call - subjective per the writeup below

But my main point is thst my post above is probably moot. I dony think there was ever a 4 point system, so petr shouldve known not to knee

The Association of Boxing Commissions website defines a downed fighter as, “A grounded opponent is any fighter who has more than just the soles of their feet on the ground. (i.e. could have one shin or one finger down to be considered a downed fighter) If the referee determines that a fighter would be a grounded fighter, but is not solely because the ring ropes or cage fence has held fighter from the ground, the referee can instruct the combatants that he is treating the fighter held up solely by the cage or ropes as a grounded fighter.”

The wording of the rule and the rule’s intent has not changed, but the way the rule is interpreted and enforced has.

“The rule is really the same,” said Ratner. “The interpretation that we’ve come up with, with the Association of Boxing Commissions, which should be called the Association of Combat Commissions – they should change that – but the spirit of the rule has been violated by a lot of fighters.

“Obviously if you’re downed and you have a hand on the deck, and you have three points there and you get kicked or kneed, that’s a foul,” he said. “But we have fighters now who are putting their hand down, bringing it up, putting it back down again.

“I call it, if you’re talking basketball, trying to draw the foul. They’re hoping that the referee will see it and call a foul and maybe disqualify the other guy,” added Ratner. “So we’re telling the referees before the fights, go into the dressing rooms and say, ‘look, if you do this you’re doing it at your own peril and in my judgment as a referee, if you’re doing it, I’m going to call it legal.’”

It is now up to the referee’s discretion whether or not a kick or knee to a “downed” fighter is illegal.

“It’s a judgment call,” said Ratner.

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
Does Yan have a history of fouls?
I don't, know, but in general I think at this point 12-6 elbows and grounded knees have been illegal in the US for at least a decade. Maybe I'm wrong about regional shows. I can see nut shots and eye pokes happening between moving bodies in the middle of a fight, but you have to make a decision to throw a knee at a grounded opponent's head.

Having said that, I just saw this video of him apparently mishearing his corner, so...

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/CMIFPbMJLlN/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
If a knee is down then they've always been a downed opponent.

Points of contact don't matter in that case. But if you're on your feet and have a hand down, then it depends on which state you're in because the commissions aren't all that unified in their unified rules.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
The only thing I want more than Yan to have to sit out and watch Cejudo fight Aljo as Aljo's first defense is for Aljo to win his first defense by DQ.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
If a knee is down then they've always been a downed opponent.

Points of contact don't matter in that case. But if you're on your feet and have a hand down, then it depends on which state you're in because the commissions aren't all that unified in their unified rules.
People are also ignoring that all of these "Well, what are the rules really?" arguments completely fall apart under the weight of Smith telling him that Aljo was down.

Thuglife13

✝👦🍕🍦🍩
Dec 15, 2018
The only thing I want more than Yan to have to sit out and watch Cejudo fight Aljo as Aljo's first defense is for Aljo to win his first defense by DQ.
Plot twist: It was all 4D chess by Dana and Aljo to make him Champ while putting (Petr/Pete-er/Petey-r/Pit-ter/wtf?) on the backburner and then getting rid of Cringyjudo thankfully for all of us baby!

:cheers:

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
There was a rule change at some point over the lsst 2 years related to 2 point. 3 point or 4 points of contact (i dont know the details. But im pretry sure the rules deoend on which state or country commission your event is held in)

SuperPig @Willthiswork or jason73 @jason73 or actually no forget them. Sex Chicken @Sex Chicken can you opine?? Is there any place where you need 3 or 4 points of contsct to the ground for it to be illegal?
Hey buddy, it’s ok to take your mittens off when you type on the keyboard

?

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
Hey buddy, it’s ok to take your mittens off when you type on the keyboard

?
Theres funny irony to this

i had recently come off the mountain and i dont ride with gloves

The spelling error was partially a function of my right thumb (which has issues) being numb due to NOT wearing mittens :p

EdIT: nope. That happened to a much earlier message. I cant defend the onr you quoted

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
We've now got not 1 but 2 guys who never actually lost their belt waiting for another shot at it alongside a guy who lost his belt by DQ.

So while your scenario is funny, I think an even better outcome would be for Aljo to fight a random late notice replacement and lose by either DQ or robbery decision. I want to see how far they can jam this division up with disgruntled ex-champions who never actually lost.

Thuglife13

✝👦🍕🍦🍩
Dec 15, 2018
We've now got not 1 but 2 guys who never actually lost their belt waiting for another shot at it alongside a guy who lost his belt by DQ.

So while your scenario is funny, I think an even better outcome would be for Aljo to fight a random late notice replacement and lose by either DQ or robbery decision. I want to see how far they can jam this division up with disgruntled ex-champions who never actually lost.
Winner winner chicken dinner...

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
In case anyone has forgotten we also have Cody, Jose and Cruz all on one fight win streaks (which is clearly more than enough to warrant a title shot) and of course we also have the returning TJ Dillashaw.

This could really get amazing. Even by UFC clusterfuck standards.

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
In case anyone has forgotten we also have Cody, Jose and Cruz all on one fight win streaks (which is clearly more than enough to warrant a title shot) and of course we also have the returning TJ Dillashaw.

This could really get amazing. Even by UFC clusterfuck standards.
I have nothing against Cory Sandhagen personally, but I don't want to see him get a title shot until a least 2030.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
I have nothing against Cory Sandhagen personally, but I don't want to see him get a title shot until a least 2030.
I really like Sandhagen. Great fighter and seems like a nice guy. That being said, I would like very much for him to clean out the division multiple times and never see a title fight.

Edit: Scratch that, I would like very much to see him win multiple interim titles.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
I trust that it's understood that Sandhagen will win multiple interim titles because he'll win one, but then when preparing for the unification bout something would happen that would postpone the fight resulting in his interim title being reneged a la Tony Ferguson.