Sports Alliance of American Football league hype thread!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
We’re coming up on the inaugural season opener for the AAF on February 9th, so thought I’d make a thread where we can discuss the league, how it may help player development, how it may come up short, the rule changes, what team we’re going with, etc.

I’m personally on the Memphis Express wagon being they have player allocation from LSU and NO. Planning on getting tickets to a game and heading up there to see Mettenberger sling some and, hopefully, Hilliard get some touches.

This is awesome for me because we have no football during the “crawfish season”, so this is an added reason to boil crawfish and get drunk, not that we need any more reasons in Louisiana.

For those that have never heard of the league, here’s the video where they introduced the league and rules.

Here’s a condensed “need to know” video:

A little Express hype video I came across with my boy Mettenberger:

Last edited:

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
IN
will be checking to rosters to see what players I am rooting for
a few guys from this league will make the NFL next year I would bet

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
IN
will be checking to rosters to see what players I am rooting for
a few guys from this league will make the NFL next year I would bet
It’s looking like a developmental league of sorts, which I think we’ve been missing in the American pro-football world. They are allowed out of their contracts to go to the NFL

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Rule variations from the NFL:
  • No kickoffs. Drives start at the 25.
  • No onside kicks. Instead, if you want a chance to retain possession after a score, you get 1 play from your own 35 and it's treated like a 4th and 10. If you convert, your drive continues with a new set of downs. If you don't, your opponent gets the ball wherever that play ended and their drive starts from there.
  • No PAT. All conversions are the 2 pt variety.
  • Play clock will be 30 seconds. (NFL is 40 seconds)

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
Rule variations from the NFL:
  • No kickoffs. Drives start at the 25.
  • No onside kicks. Instead, if you want a chance to retain possession after a score, you get 1 play from your own 35 and it's treated like a 4th and 10. If you convert, your drive continues with a new set of downs. If you don't, your opponent gets the ball wherever that play ended and their drive starts from there.
  • No PAT. All conversions are the 2 pt variety.
  • Play clock will be 30 seconds. (NFL is 40 seconds)
Friend of mine said that the no kick rules are dumb. When you think about it, today’s kickers drill the back of the end zone for a touchback most times and if they don’t, the returner rarely gets passed the 30-35 anyways. The “scrum” rule in place of onside kicks is actually something the NFL should adopt, since they neutered the shit out of onside kicks.

I’m excited to see how this goes. I’ve always said guys that may have needed more development after college should have a league in the states, rather than going to the CFL or Europe where the viewer market isn’t good enough.

HEATH VON DOOM

Remember the 5th of November
Oct 21, 2015
Friend of mine said that the no kick rules are dumb. When you think about it, today’s kickers drill the back of the end zone for a touchback most times and if they don’t, the returner rarely gets passed the 30-35 anyways. The “scrum” rule in place of onside kicks is actually something the NFL should adopt, since they neutered the shit out of onside kicks.

I’m excited to see how this goes. I’ve always said guys that may have needed more development after college should have a league in the states, rather than going to the CFL or Europe where the viewer market isn’t good enough.
I am actually curious as to how the no kickoff rules will work in real life situations.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
I like the shorter play clock and no PATs.

The onside replacement feels too easy. 4th and 10 from the 35. Convert and you are - at minimum - sitting at 45 with a new set of downs. If an offense gets on a roll, they could roll off 21 straight points and the other team would never touch the ball. The odds of converting an onside kick when it's expected is very small. Only 8% were converted this year with the new rules.

For the 2017 season there were 610 plays that were 3rd and 10. 24% were converted.

I'd rather it be 4th and 15 from the 20.

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
I like the shorter play clock and no PATs.

The onside replacement feels too easy. 4th and 10 from the 35. Convert and you are - at minimum - sitting at 45 with a new set of downs. If an offense gets on a roll, they could roll off 21 straight points and the other team would never touch the ball. The odds of converting an onside kick when it's expected is very small. Only 8% were converted this year with the new rules.

For the 2017 season there were 610 plays that were 3rd and 10. 24% were converted.

I'd rather it be 4th and 15 from the 20.
Yea I see them changing that after the first season if it’s a ridiculous amount that convert.

Limpy

Banned
Oct 20, 2015
This will really hurt the CFL when it comes to finding talent. The CFL is going to be even shittier.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Yea I see them changing that after the first season if it’s a ridiculous amount that convert.
I can see this being a mid-game tactic instead of just an end-of-game thing that we typically see with onside kicks.

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
Pic from the Salt Lake v Memphis game. League has been scrimmaging to see what cuts they have to make to rosters for the 52-man teams.

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
How have I not heard about this before? I like this idea a lot. I didn't want to watch the 49 minute video, but I will be checking into it. Hopefully it will be in the Summer and televised. We need something besides baseball.

I really like the fact they are playing with the rules. I have often said that kickers should be eliminated from Football. Football is a game for mean. Men who are tough as shit. Too many games are decided by the biggest pussy on the team.

MMAHAWK

Real Gs come from California.America Muthafucker
Feb 5, 2015
Couldn’t make the San Diego opening home game but picked up season tickets for remainder of season today.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
I recorded a game. Haven't watched it yet.

MMAHAWK

Feb 5, 2015
Were they giving them away at the local gas station?
No I can afford $60 for 4 games.
I grew up with a diehard charger family since the 1960’s. Some of my best memories growing up was tailgating outside Qualcomm/jack murphy stadium before and after games. Now that the Chargers are gone, the fact that I can get a couple friends and family members to commit to 4 Sunday’s to grill and drink a few beers in the parking lot is easily worth $15 a game.

Last edited:

MMAHAWK

Feb 5, 2015
Well, that didn’t last long...

RIP AAF 2019-2019

Video is hilarious
But the league being shut down is a bummer. The games were fun as hell and tailgating is a tradition in San Diego. The last few games had over 20k in attendance too.

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
Video is hilarious
But the league being shut down is a bummer. The games were fun as hell and tailgating is a tradition in San Diego. The last few games had over 20k in attendance too.
I honestly didn’t think the league was doing bad. I had casual football fans sharing their videos on FB, attendance and viewership seemed good, and the subreddit was a glorious shitpost and meme factory.