Alone (TV show)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

righto

Nov 24, 2018
There's almost no need of an axe and no need of a saw, if your shovel has a saw edge and if your multitool has a couple of file blades to keep sharp your saw edge. You dont need a heavy duty shelter, at least, not before you've been there for 2 months, fed yourself properly the entire time and have 100 lbs of preserved fish/meat. If you have not done all that, you'll tap out before you have need of a heavy shelter. So just stick to a simple, highly portable tarp shelter, while you're maximizing your catch of fish, game, your harvesting of kelp juiice, cambium, dandelion roots. Eat all you can of the meat and fish, so you dont have to waste effort to preserve it and maybe still have it rot or be stolen by critters, insects, etc. WW2 famine tests showed that you're better off to eat nothing than to eat 1000 calories per day of nothing but carbs. Your body can't go into ketosis when you have that much carb income. Better to save the carbs, and eat either nothing, or just protein and fats, letting your body get switched over to ketosis, and then use just a bit more than 1/4 of such starches. The kelp juice and cambium spoil in a day or so, so you cant get much of it at anyone time, or at least, dont do so when you can still catch fish and game. The cambium only peels easily in spring time and it's hard to digest if you dont first shred it, boil it and then fry it (in fish oil) to make it more digestible. with the pontoon raft to help you look around, finding flotsam containers, and rope, find the best spot to fish and camp, you save a lot of effort and risk, tying to move your 70 lbs of gear thru thick forest and over slimy boulders. and the rafte lets you get our where the fish are for pole and line hooking of them. If you gently row the raft, your trotlines will draw the attention of fish, maybe even a seal. Waterfowl, beaver, seals, otters, even deer tend to ignore stuff that's floating past them on the water. This means you can get some sub 10m shots as some crittters worth attempting. Wooden arrows float, you know.

righto

Nov 24, 2018
did you notice that Britt seemed ready to stick a deer with a practice point? that deer would have run 10 miles and taken 3 days to die, of infection. A hunting arrow has to have shrarp knife edges that maximize blood loss. Once you remove the 4 tines form the 5 fishing arrows, you can make 40 fishhooks out of them That leaves 5 blunt arrows for use vs small game and waterfowl. For small birds and rodents, you can make baked clay balls, for use in the slingshot, on critters not worthy of an arrow.

chief Aj's slingbow grizzly - Yahoo Video Search Results

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
There's almost no need of an axe and no need of a saw, if your shovel has a saw edge and if your multitool has a couple of file blades to keep sharp your saw edge. You dont need a heavy duty shelter, at least, not before you've been there for 2 months, fed yourself properly the entire time and have 100 lbs of preserved fish/meat. If you have not done all that, you'll tap out before you have need of a heavy shelter. So just stick to a simple, highly portable tarp shelter, while you're maximizing your catch of fish, game, your harvesting of kelp juiice, cambium, dandelion roots. Eat all you can of the meat and fish, so you dont have to waste effort to preserve it and maybe still have it rot or be stolen by critters, insects, etc. WW2 famine tests showed that you're better off to eat nothing than to eat 1000 calories per day of nothing but carbs. Your body can't go into ketosis when you have that much carb income. Better to save the carbs, and eat either nothing, or just protein and fats, letting your body get switched over to ketosis, and then use just a bit more than 1/4 of such starches. The kelp juice and cambium spoil in a day or so, so you cant get much of it at anyone time, or at least, dont do so when you can still catch fish and game. The cambium only peels easily in spring time and it's hard to digest if you dont first shred it, boil it and then fry it (in fish oil) to make it more digestible. with the pontoon raft to help you look around, finding flotsam containers, and rope, find the best spot to fish and camp, you save a lot of effort and risk, tying to move your 70 lbs of gear thru thick forest and over slimy boulders. and the rafte lets you get our where the fish are for pole and line hooking of them. If you gently row the raft, your trotlines will draw the attention of fish, maybe even a seal. Waterfowl, beaver, seals, otters, even deer tend to ignore stuff that's floating past them on the water. This means you can get some sub 10m shots as some crittters worth attempting. Wooden arrows float, you know.
Cliffs?

righto

Nov 24, 2018
when you've got kelp juice, lichen, cambium, salt, fishheads and guts as bait, you can bait critters near your camp, leaving the treblehooks and the boxtrap doors out of it. Let the critters get used to pick up food near you, get used to your scent get used to the strange contraptions, say for 2 weeks. Then you put the rear and front doors on the box traps, and get them the critters to still enter for the bait. When you see that happening, THEN you set the treblehooks and the doors to the box traps. The critters wont notice those small change in the goodies supply places, and your catch ratio will make it worth your while to keep your eye on the traps. A live mouse, chipmunk or small bird can make great bait for big fish, otter, raptor, etc. so use it that way, instead of just eating it. As the net weirs provide more bait for the net weirs, and for the other traps, you're gonna get other types of flesh to eat, (and use as bait. You'll move up to 100 lb wolves and 200 lb bears in a month or so, IF you can find a way to keep yourself energized enough to make those traps, set and service them, keep the bow ready., Get up and out of the camp and hunt in early morning, instead of laying around til 9 am. Take some sedatives with you, so that you can sleep when you need to do so.

Last edited:

when you've got kelp juice, lichen, cambium, salt, fishheads and guts as bait. you can bait critters near your camp, leaving the trebel hooks and the boxtrap doors out of it. Let the critters get used to pick up food near you, get used to your send, get used to the strange contraptios, say for 2 weeks. Then you put the rear and front doors on the box traps, and get them the critters to still entet for the bait. when you see that happeing, THEN you set the treblehooks and the doors to the box traps. The critterrs wont notice those small change in the goodies supply places, and your catch ratio will make it worth your while to keep your eye on the traps. A live mouse, chipmunk or small bird can make great bait for big fish, otter, rapter, etc. so use it that way, instead of just eating it. As the net weirs provide more bait for the net weirs, and for the other traps, you're gonna get other types of flesh to eat, (and use as bait. You'll move up to 100 lb wolves and 200 lb bears in a month or so, IF you can find a way to keep yourself energied enought to make those traps, set and service them, keep the bow ready., Get ot of the camp and hunt in early morrning, instead of laying around til 9am. Take some sedatives, so that you can sleep when you need to do so.

Do you have WhatsApp?

righto

Nov 24, 2018
Very steep hills, with lots of brush and rocks and briars, dangerous to climb up or down. Dave M made a dangerous trip twice a day to the next cove, where his net worked better and where he could naturally trap some crabs in the kelp beds. All he had to do was devote a day to make a pontoon outrigger raft to safely move his stuff to the better cove. he couldn't risk moving his stuff by hand, scrambling from cove to cove. But one day making such a raft would have let him move his stuff swiftly, easily and safely. and then there'd be no reason to go back to the non productive cove, as he was doing every night. Drive some poles in the coves, showing you where high and low tide levels are. At high tide, move the seine across the (baited )inlet, at the point where tide is 5 ft deep, drive some poles and wait. At low tide all the fish up land from your net are caught at your nets, in the mud, or in low pools.. You might have streams that are ideal for putting a net across at the mouth of the stream. Then move up stream say, 100m, and then move the seine downstream, until you can entangle the fish between tween the 2 nets. As a kid, I saw one such pass thru a small creek yield 2.5 bushel bags of carp. probably 60 lbs of fish and it didn't take us more than 2 hours to get them either. Having lots of netting is the answer.

Last edited:

righto

Nov 24, 2018
I dont watch survival shows. It's all I can stand just to look at little clips of them on youtube. I can tell by looking at their lists of gear that they are going to just starve. Bunch of girl scouts. Just like you guys.

righto

Nov 24, 2018
i've got a Filipina wife half my age, dude, so I dont need any "sexy times" apps, etc. It cost me almost 15k to get her here, but then she paid me $700 a week for 3 years, until she became a US citizen. She was a dentist in Phills, but she still has more training to get here. She works for $35 an hour as a dental hygienist, getting college loans, etc. She'll be making the big bux in a couple of years.

i've got a Filipina wife half my age, dude, so I dont need any "sexy times" apps, etc. It cost me almost 15k to get her here, but then she paid me $700 a week for 3 years, until she became a US citizen. She was a dentist in Phills, but she still has more training to get here. She works for $35 an hour as a dental hygienist, getting college loans, etc. She'll be making the big bux in a couple of years.
I didn't say you need it... Maybe you want it?

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
when you've got kelp juice, lichen, cambium, salt, fishheads and guts as bait, you can bait critters near your camp, leaving the treblehooks and the boxtrap doors out of it. Let the critters get used to pick up food near you, get used to your scent get used to the strange contraptions, say for 2 weeks. Then you put the rear and front doors on the box traps, and get them the critters to still enter for the bait. When you see that happening, THEN you set the treblehooks and the doors to the box traps. The critters wont notice those small change in the goodies supply places, and your catch ratio will make it worth your while to keep your eye on the traps. A live mouse, chipmunk or small bird can make great bait for big fish, otter, raptor, etc. so use it that way, instead of just eating it. As the net weirs provide more bait for the net weirs, and for the other traps, you're gonna get other types of flesh to eat, (and use as bait. You'll move up to 100 lb wolves and 200 lb bears in a month or so, IF you can find a way to keep yourself energized enough to make those traps, set and service them, keep the bow ready., Get up and out of the camp and hunt in early morning, instead of laying around til 9 am. Take some sedatives with you, so that you can sleep when you need to do so.
sedatives?
interesting

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
no, why would I want it?
I don't have that shit either
some sickos here share genitalia images or something...I prefer real life genitals
pixel genitals are overrated

Please do more survival guides when you feel the need...I am honestly enjoying them

thanks and keep living the good life bro

Disciplined Galt

Disciplina et Frugalis
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I don't have that shit either
some sickos here share genitalia images or something...I prefer real life genitals
pixel genitals are overrated

Please do more survival guides when you feel the need...I am honestly enjoying them

thanks and keep living the good life bro
To be fair I’ve posted cock pics in the main forum as well.

righto

Nov 24, 2018
Most of the entrants dont even take a bow, much less be bothered with learning how to really use one. I'd not bother with a bow, but the slingbow is a lot easier to keep at hand, has the option of using baked clay balls, and the main point is to be able to make fishhooks out of the fishing arrowheads. You get to take one spare sling rubber, and really, all 3 could be made into engines to pull shut one way cable loops, or to set treblehooks. It's much easier to make a bow than to make arrows (that are waf) So it's feasible to use all 3 of the rubbers for traps of one sort or another. The netting will be catching a lot more fish than you can eat (much less WANT to eat) While netting can be used to catch mammals and birds, that's best saved for when the fish are gone to deep water. The trotline thing is rarely worth bothering with, since minnows nibble away the bait. You can somewhat offset that by having the little net/tarp bags for the bait, but the bait still dissolves in the water, and you want meat, preferably fat meat, as a change of diet. So at least most of the 21 treblehooks are best used on land. BIG fish are not likely to be up in those shallow rivers in the first place and are likely to be the first ones to head back to the lakes before winter. Younger fish might well not have the instincts to survive the freezeup, but the bigs obviously have done so before. None of the entrants for Mongolia showed that they caught fish over one lb in weight. active fishing is rarely worth doing, out in the cold wind.

People severely underestimate how many calories it takes to maintain bodyweight of a big man, especially when it turns cold and you're out in it for 12 hours a day. Gillnets and trotlines KILL fish, and expose the fish to predation, Seines and net weirs do not. There will be days when you can't get out there to tend your nets. Ted baird got deathly ill by eating rotten fish, instead of using it for bait. you only need to empty the weirs every couple of days, really, especially if you have treblehooks and boxtraps awaitng the inevitiable attempts at predation. Everyone of the shows has shown lots of gulls, ducks, coots, loons, etc, and unless the dumb things walk up into their camp, the entrants never catch one! That's ridiculous!

Sex Chicken

Exotic Dancer
Sep 8, 2015
I’m late to this thread but it seems R @righto has said just about everything I was going to say.
I’d like add maybe one thing. When your tying down your tarps, double or triple knot them. The last thing you need is your tarps blowing away.

righto

Nov 24, 2018
you really should try making one way devices for snares, or making fishhooks, or removing a fishhook, with just a knife, The vice grip-wire cutters of the Crunch are quite useful. So are the 2 file blades of course (once you add one of them) for sharpening the saw and shovel. So is the chisel, the hook/scoop knife, the flathead end of one of the file blades, and the awl. One screwdriver is needed, so that you can fit other handles to the E-tool. One handle needs to be a long one, to let you stand up and dig or move snow with it. The other, right-angled branch sort of handle lets you convert the shovel into a pick/adze/hoe. Having dumped the SS serrated knife blade for a carbon steel regular blade lets you whittle better and then you can also sharpen it with a rock, and drive sparks with it, if need be. The shovel can do quite a bit of the heavier knife work.

The main thing to understand, tho, is to forget about the log cabin bs and to keep the shelter mobile, moving it to the easily-gathered wood, as well as using a Dakota fire pit to not waste fuel. If you set up the shelter to face the 9am sun, half a removable, reflective liner for your jacket, and take part of your 12x12 tarp as a clear PEVA plastic, you can create a Korchanski supershelter,-Yukon chair. Using the greenhouse effect of the sun's shining thru the clear "door" of the shelter, to be reflected by the jacket liner, your shelter will be 30F warmed at noon than it was at dawn. This can let you sleep from 11 am to 5 pm, while doing things at night to generate metabolic heat. They give you a light for the camera, a headlamp and change out your batteries once a week, when they come to do medical checks and swap video cards.

Mongolia's summer is just 2 months long, with one month each of spring and fall. They drop you in mid-summer. So you've got less than 2 months before the first freeze. There's no way in hell you can gather enough wood to get you thru a Mongolian winter, even if you COULD somehow gather and preserve enough food to do so. So you have to go with the underground shelter. Understand that once it's freezing there, it's REALLY frozen. So, once it is consistently below freezing temps in daylight hours and if you've wet down the dirt that you excavated (while it' was still warm) the walls and roof of the dugout are proof from bears and wolves. It's your little doorway that will be the weak point. You'll be using the backpack and the cameracase, stuffed with dry grass, as the main closure element of your doorway, with loose dirt and dry grass all around those 2 items completing the project. You have to be able to come out once a week, so as to stone boil and melt more ice and snow for drinking water and you'll be eating dried fish and jerky while in there. You'll be able to rehydrate the flesh, tho, given that you'll have 5+ gallons of water in the legs and sleeves of the rainsuit. You want only a 1/2" hole above your door and another one at the bottom of the foot end,for ventilation potential and even then, you'll want to plug those holes most of the time, once it gets truly cold

I seriously doubt that anyone else will last even a month into really cold weather, if they didn't make and use netting and didn't make such a grass-stuffed dugout. Which is why it's worth the gamble to take the 12x12 tarp instead of the sleeping bag. It's warm for the first month that you're there, so there's no need of the sleeping bag at all during that time. But there's a LOT of need of the netting that you can cut/tear the tarp and make, so as to grab all the fish possible before they return to the lakes for the winter.

Nothing is perfect in life and this show has been very carefully set up to force people to break weak, quite early. Then they pick the weakest link sort of people who apply, too. They'll never let anyone on this show who knows how to make it last 4-5 months. Doing so would cost them a million $ out of what would have been profits. Also, people like Canterbury, Graham, Lundin and the like will never be on this show. Not cause they'd do well, but because they themselves know damne well that they wouldnt! Their internationally televised failures would cost them a LOT of students and sales of their books and videos.

delightone

Insert Crown here
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
season 1 is the best.season 2 had too many bitch asses and people who had no business being on the show like the fat dykey chick .season one that red headed kid and the old dude who won both could have lived there for ever
Lol this review made me laugh my ass off

righto

Nov 24, 2018
ha, you're wrong. Sam lost a lb per day, and so did Alan. Neither one of them had 2 more weeks in them. They were both clueless. Should have made the 2400 sq ft of 1.5" mesh feasible, out of half of the 20x20 tarp, the 12x12 tarp and the 2 person cotton rope hammock. Neither one of them lasted 60 days. The bairds managed 76 days, which made them better than Alan or Sam. There was a father-son team that made it 75 days, too. Sam tried again, season 5, did nothing but lay around in his sleeping bag for 60 days and won, in mongolia, which should have lasted at least another month, due to the ideal netting harvest possible with shallow rivers and the fish all headed back to the lakes.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
this is some good shit
thinking I might watch this show now
Thanks R @righto, love me some passionate posters

righto

Nov 24, 2018
One thing Mongolia's got LOTS of is tall grass. You need a minivan's worth of it STUFFED into a 4x4x8, barely room for you to crawl into the center of it. Thats' going to be every bit as warm as a sleeping bag in a lame-arsed tarp-shelter/cabin, cause you're down out of the wind and soon, covered with snow, too. Snow is an excellent insulator, too. People have no clue how many calories they waste on gathering wood and most are too ignorant to use firelays that dont require the wood to be split or cut to length. If the entrance hole to your Dakota pit is at a a low angle and you feed one log into it that way, and a third hole gravity feeds another log into the flames, 30F degree angle off of vertical, pit at least 18" deep, you'll need very little firewood to heat big rocks or water, which will then radiate heat for a couple of hours. So you just bed the coals in ashes/dirt, with a bit of charcoal and a tiny airhole and thus, the fire remains "lit", but not consuming wood, while the rocks and water warm you. The fire's being down in a pit means that very little of the heat is wasted out to the sides. But you need to have those holes dug before the ground freezes hard, eh?

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
One thing Mongolia's got LOTS of is tall grass. You need a minivan's worth of it STUFFED into a 4x4x8, barely room for you to crawl into the center of it. Thats' going to be every bit as warm as a sleeping bag in a lame-arsed tarp-shelter/cabin, cause you're down out of the wind and soon, covered with snow, too. Snow is an excellent insulator, too. People have no clue how many calories they waste on gathering wood and most are too ignorant to use firelays that dont require the wood to be split or cut to length. If the entrance hole to your Dakota pit is at a a low angle and you feed one log into it that way, and a third hole gravity feeds another log into the flames, 30F degree angle off of vertical, pit at least 18" deep, you'll need very little firewood to heat big rocks or water, which will then radiate heat for a couple of hours. So you just bed the coals in ashes/dirt, with a bit of charcoal and a tiny airhole and thus, the fire remains "lit", but not consuming wood, while the rocks and water warm you. The fire's being down in a pit means that very little of the heat is wasted out to the sides. But you need to have those holes dug before the ground freezes hard, eh?
makes sense
got me thinking about the mad trapper on Jeremiah Johnson