VID Alvarez believes there's a simple way to beat McGregor

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
P

Punch

Ferguson because he will pressure you, Nate Diaz because he doesn't give a fuck, Barboza because he can kick you into oblivion, Felder because he's just tough as nails - I'd actually like to see this more than other fight - many fights for him
Good picks. I like ALL of them. I have a feeling I'm going to be rewatching cmac fights many years from now.

Andrewsimar Palhardass

Women, dinosaurs, and the violence of the octagon.
Jan 8, 2016
Out of the 145 and 155 divisions, who is the absolute worst nightmare matchup for Cmac? Frankie, Eddie, & Khabib I have all heard in the mix, but what's y'alls opinion?
Khabib. I have a ridiculous faith in physically strong sambo fighters when it comes to fighting a guy like Mac. I think Khabib can get him down and keep him there more effectively than Frankie.

PrideRules

Pride Never Die!!!
Oct 20, 2015
Cmac also rolled out of a camp focused towards the striker in Aldo vs a wrestler in Mendes. It's crazy he took the fight, especially with his bum knee. Boy believes in himself.

And with Cmac's obsession with furthering himself as a martial artist, the window of opportunity for this gameplan will be gone with the wind. If RDA thinks hes gonna mendes Cmac, he's gonna get ktfo. He's prob gonna get ktfo regardless.

Cmac is like a GSP. I expect to see constant evolution in his game as his career progresses.

Oct 24, 2015
Hope I don't get banned for this, delete if not allowed.
I get several things out of this. 1 Chad was gassed. Those 2weeks in camp weren't enough. He was catching him on the stand up. Would've loved to see full camp Chad. 2 Conor better work on that ground game. Chad took him down at will. No ground game. Khabib,RDA or any top grappler will too. 3 No way Conor was as injured as he said he was. He was kicking with no regard to his knee. Wonder if Conor can go 5. Looks like he was gassing a little.

Last edited:

PrideRules

Pride Never Die!!!
Oct 20, 2015
Remeber how good sonnen looked against silva? Then remeber how he looked like he didn't even belong in the second fight?

Injuries are real.

Oct 24, 2015
Remeber how good sonnen looked against silva? Then remeber how he looked like he didn't even belong in the second fight?

Injuries are real.
Not saying he wasn't but to say he had an 80% tear of an acl? Also Sonnen was juiced the first fight iirc. Second fight he was doing alright till that spining back fist.

PrideRules

Pride Never Die!!!
Oct 20, 2015
Not saying he wasn't but to say he had an 80% tear of an acl? Also Sonnen was juiced the first fight iirc. Second fight he was doing alright till that spining back fist.
Sonnen got cracked with a punch that put him on queer st, and silva shrugged off the early takedown attempt iirc and I wouldn't be surprised if silva had his limp dick problems way before Diaz fight.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
It was fully healed two weeks out, but hampered his training. No living wrestling practice, no kicking till two weeks out, etc. Compare McGregors movement from this fight to the Aldo fight. He was much lighter on his feet in the Aldo fight.

As far as getting takendown at will, not quite 4/7 takedowns and the ones Mendes did land he had to chain wrestle for after the initial shot was stuffed, despite having one of the best explosive counter doubles in the game. You know who never defended a takedown from Mendes, Guida and Nik Lentz, do they have no wrestling chops?

The fact is Mendes is one of the best wrestlers in the sport and will take down just about anyone. Yet, when he did get him down he wasn't able to do much. When he advanced his position in the first McGregor was able to scramble back to his feet, and when Chad went for a choke in the second the same happened. That's good defencive grappling and excellent scrambling skills, he's not an offensive wizard from his back, no doubt, but being offensive from your back is being seen less and less because he it rarely works anymore. There was something like 4 triangle chokes in 2014 in the UFC.

P

Punch

It was fully healed two weeks out, but hampered his training. No living wrestling practice, no kicking till two weeks out, etc. Compare McGregors movement from this fight to the Aldo fight. He was much lighter on his feet in the Aldo fight.

As far as getting takendown at will, not quite 4/7 takedowns and the ones Mendes did land he had to chain wrestle for after the initial shot was stuffed, despite having one of the best explosive counter doubles in the game. You know who never defended a takedown from Mendes, Guida and Nik Lentz, do they have no wrestling chops?

The fact is Mendes is one of the best wrestlers in the sport and will take down just about anyone. Yet, when he did get him down he wasn't able to do much. When he advanced his position in the first McGregor was able to scramble back to his feet, and when Chad went for a choke in the second the same happened. That's good defencive grappling and excellent scrambling skills, he's not an offensive wizard from his back, no doubt, but being offensive from your back is being seen less and less because he it rarely works anymore. There was something like 4 triangle chokes in 2014 in the UFC.
I'd love to see cmac with a wicked guard.

P

Punch

I'm not sure if he is ever going to be a wicked guard player. I think his ground game will be designed around getting back to his feet as quick as possible.
Probably, but it would be nice to see and a good deterrent to the TD. Takes a lot to be Werdum good off the back though.

Oct 24, 2015

Chad was gassed. 4 out of 7 takedowns with two weeks camp. Not much of a stand up fighter and was catching him. When Chad went for that choke he was going for broke. He had nothing left in the tank. Was hitting him with punches and herb was telling him "watch hands to the face". Herb was looking for a reason to stand it up. Chad had to do something to end the fight. Unfortunately he was gassed and didn't have the same explosiveness as he would have with a full camp. Of course Conor looked lighter on his feet with Aldo, it was 13 sec fight.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
Chad was gassed. 4 out of 7 takedowns with two weeks camp. Not much of a stand up fighter and was catching him. When Chad went for that choke he was going for broke. He had nothing left in the tank. Was hitting him with punches and herb was telling him "watch hands to the face". Herb was looking for a reason to stand it up. Chad had to do something to end the fight. Unfortunately he was gassed and didn't have the same explosiveness as he would have with a full camp. Of course Conor looked lighter on his feet with Aldo, it was 13 sec fight.
Chad Mendes went 5 round with Aldo, but is not much of stand up fighter? Lol, ok. Yes, he caught he with some punches, but Conor was significantly more flat footed in that performance than any other recent fight. Perhaps because his knee was injured during the build up? Just a thought.

Chad likes to stand up out of guard and attack the neck with chokes, he has done it to many opponents. Yes he was gassed, but it wasn't solely due to a 2 week camp, after a few body kicks in the first round he was sucking in wind hard. Herb was warning Chad about putting his hand inside the cut on McGregor's face, which is illegal and a foul.

Yes, McGregor asked the ref to stand them up, many fighters do, Chad also complained to the ref about illegal strikes to the head. Gaming the ref is part of the sport, in the ideal world it wouldn't be but it is, and that is the reason why experience is extremely important for them.

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015

Matt Hughes eat your heart out.
Still waiting for somebody to throw a guy out of the cage. It's kind of a ripoff that they can't IMO. Tank vs. what's-his-face, back in the day---he was RIGHT on the verge of tossing that guy out. To this day I feel ripped off about that one. It's just not right.

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015
There needs to be a springboard at the perimeter of the octagon, just for those potato-sack run occasions.

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015
I'm not sure if he is ever going to be a wicked guard player. I think his ground game will be designed around getting back to his feet as quick as possible.
It would be almost unfair if his guard did evolve to destructive levels. Kind of a fantasy merge of two different fighters, each the very best at a certain range.

P

Punch

There needs to be a springboard at the perimeter of the octagon, just for those potato-sack run occasions.
That's funny.
It would be almost unfair if his guard did evolve to destructive levels. Kind of a fantasy merge of two different fighters, each the very best at a certain range.
Yair Rodriguez is a prospect with a lot of these attributes. I don't think it's impossible. Just really hard.