General AMA anything about the Kowloon Walled City

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Poiupoiu

50 cents per post
Oct 26, 2015
I take back any mention of kicking your ass, although I doubt I ever said/posted that out loud

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
were there prejudices among Chinese based on the lightness or darkness of their skin? (a very light-skinned, rich as hell, 1st generation New York girl said there was, in shame)

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
What would you say is the biggest difference between British and Chinese cultures?

Did you face racism or discrimination after returning to the UK? Did that slow down or stop once you became a UFC fighter?
Biggest cultural differences. Well, I can only go by what I saw and my circumstances were different in Hong Kong to the UK, so it's not really apples with apples (7 year old English speaking kid in Hong Kong vs teenager in the UK). I would say that in the UK people are more wary of pedos and it was weird coming here and not be allowed out when it was dark.

Brits also seem to care a lot about their appearance and buying expensive clothes whilst they are poor. That was also strange to me, how people would save up money to buy fancy shoes to show off to their friends and make fun of people for having cheap shoes. Chinese culture was quite the opposite for me, they were very money minded and wasting loads of money on clothes made you an idiot. I know in other areas of Chinese culture they do like to display wealth but I'm talking at a working class level.

Animal cruelty is much more common in Chinese culture. They don't give a fuck about an animal's feelings. Wet markets are a real thing and sad to see. My grandmother came to England when I was born and went into a fishmonger to buy a crab. She was horrified when she bought it and claimed, "it's dead!"

Theft is also barely even considered a crime. You were a moron for leaving your stuff in a place where it would get stolen - and it will.

Racism. Nah, I'm half English and half Chinese, so both cultures accepted me :) LOL not really, I was called "English kid" in Hong Kong and "chink" in the UK. Racism was only an issue in school. Fizzled out as I got older. Being a fighter didn't seem to make a difference.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Leigh @Leigh were your parents evicted from Kowloon or leave by choice?

Was it tricky trying to find your way around the maze like structure?

We’re certain areas no go zones for reasons like gang territory or everyone get along ok?

This city really is fascinating. Cool video here.

View: https://youtu.be/Mq4jAwPdCMw

Poiupoiu

50 cents per post
Oct 26, 2015
one thing that gets me is most people think all chinese are ill mannered.

but chinese in hong kong, singapore, taiwan, etc.. are well mannered

mainland china is different. 30 years ago everyone was poor in mainland. it breeds a different person.

give mainlanders chinese another decade or 2, and they will be ok.

i no longer see adults shitting on the streets

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Leigh @Leigh were your parents evicted from Kowloon or leave by choice?

Was it tricky trying to find your way around the maze like structure?

We’re certain areas no go zones for reasons like gang territory or everyone get along ok?

This city really is fascinating. Cool video here.

View: https://youtu.be/Mq4jAwPdCMw
Kowloon and the Walled City aren't synonymous. My dad lived in Kowloon but not in the Walled City. No, they weren't evicted.

M

member 3289

As the residents of the walled city were all technically squatters, does this mean no one paid rent? Given the absence of police, what was to stop someone from completely overtaking another person's residence by force? Did the triads play any part in basic law and order?

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Not particularly about the walled city, but given you have mentioned your toes to UK and china, your surname doesn't sound like it's particularly rooted in either place. Do you have ancestry as fucked up as me?

M

member 3289

Not particularly about the walled city, but given you have mentioned your toes to UK and china, your surname doesn't sound like it's particularly rooted in either place. Do you have ancestry as fucked up as me?
I laugh every time I remember your name is Theodore Albert Castro Dominguez

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Portugese. My grandfather was from Macau.

I spoke to my dad, he's taking my mum to hospital today for her chemo but he'll be free this afternoon so I'll get the questions answered then.