Sci/Tech Amazon Ring partnership with PDs

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

gangsterkathryn

저승사자
Oct 20, 2015
Just read this pretty interesting article about Amazon Ring partnering with police departments to allow them access to videos recorded on their devices.

https://gizmodo.com/everything-cops-say-about-amazons-ring-is-scripted-or-a-1836812538

It’s not a free for all, they can’t just tap in to your devices, you have to give permission and be apart of their Neighborhoods network, but it does beg the question about privacy.

It also seems that Amazon is scripting the press releases, but both parties have to approve them. There’s a lot more interesting information, aside from that in there, though.

Enock-O-Lypse Now!

Underneath Denver International Airport
Jun 19, 2016
Just read this pretty interesting article about Amazon Ring partnering with police departments to allow them access to videos recorded on their devices.

https://gizmodo.com/everything-cops-say-about-amazons-ring-is-scripted-or-a-1836812538

It’s not a free for all, they can’t just tap in to your devices, you have to give permission and be apart of their Neighborhoods network, but it does beg the question about privacy.

It also seems that Amazon is scripting the press releases, but both parties have to approve them. There’s a lot more interesting information, aside from that in there, though.

First Alexa now Ring - Amazon wants into your home.

MMAPlaywright

First 100
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Police snag those Echos if there’s a crime scene that has one. I read about this Ring thing. While I like the idea of a network of surveillance video in terms of deterrence or evidence in crimes, I am worried about the continuing trend of invasiveness by the state. I guess it’s headed that way anyway. Soon there will be a network of video monitoring and drone monitoring all over the place. How the fuck will I be able to continue to do what I do?

gangsterkathryn

저승사자
Oct 20, 2015
You are from Florida.

U people can smell mong. It's like African bush click but more fueled by meth
You wish.

So, Amazon is working with police departments to make a portal for them to see videos for Ring devices, with permissions from the owners. Amazon has dictated what the police departments can say in relation to the program, including press releases, communications, etc.
A few cities already have the program in place, including Boca Raton. Amazon offered subsidies for Boca residents on Ring devices. Amazon was uninterested in releasing about the portal created in Boca, but they were quick to announce the subsidy. The Boca Raton city attorneys refused to accept the terms and managed to get them amended, noting, for example, that Ring’s conditions would run afoul of Florida’s public records laws. The phrase “Unless otherwise required by law, including, but not limited to, public records laws” was added to the agreement Boca Raton ultimately signed. It was also altered to remove the requirement for a “joint press release,” with the city opting instead to give each party the right to approve the other’s individual statements.”

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
You are from Florida.

U people can smell mong. It's like African bush click but more fueled by meth
geezuus my man
infections in the mouth can lead to brain malfunctions...maybe get that crown checked out eh?

sidenote...you ever watch the raid?