General "America's Pastor", Billy Graham, dead at 99 years old.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Billy Graham, whose 'matchless voice changed
the lives of millions,' dies at 99

Evangelist Billy Graham -- a confidant to presidents, a guiding light to generations of American evangelicals and a globe-trotting preacher who converted millions to Christianity -- died Wednesday at the age of 99, his spokesman confirmed to CNN.

Graham passed away at his home in Montreat, North Carolina, spokesman Jeremy Blume said.
The skinny preacher with the booming voice evangelized to nearly 215 million people over six decades and prayed with US presidents from Harry Truman to Barack Obama.
Several presidents, including Lyndon Johnson, George W. Bush and Bill Clinton, relied closely on his spiritual counsel.

He was tall and handsome, with a disarming aw-shucks demeanor and a Southern twang to his voice. But Graham's influence, historians say, was monumental. Some called him "America's pastor," others referred to him as the "Protestant pope."
Graham is reported to have persuaded more than 3 million people to commit their lives to Christianity and his preaching was heard in 185 of the world's 195 countries, according to the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association.
"He was probably the dominant religious leader of his era; no more than one or two popes, perhaps one or two other people, could come close to what he achieved," said William Martin, a former historian at Rice University and the author of "A Prophet with Honor: The Billy Graham Story."

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
"Someday, you will read or hear that Billy Graham is dead. Don't you believe a word of it. I shall be more alive than I am now. I will just have changed my address. I will have gone into the presence of God"

Already seeing people finding ways to hate on the man. Hardly perfect, but wasn't exactly the claims:

View: https://twitter.com/tariqnasheed/status/966324259319513089

During a 1953 rally in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Graham tore down the ropes that organizers had erected to separate the audience into racial sections. He recounted in his memoirs that he told two ushers to leave the barriers down "or you can go on and have the revival without me."[42] He warned a white audience, "we have been proud and thought we were better than any other race, any other people. Ladies and gentlemen, we are going to stumble into hell because of our pride."[43]

In 1957, Graham's stance towards integration became more publicly shown when he allowed black ministers Thomas Kilgore and Gardner Taylor to serve as members of his New York Crusade's executive committee[44] and invited the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., whom he first met during the Montgomery bus boycott in 1955,[44] to join him in the pulpit at his 16-week revival in New York City, where 2.3 million gathered at Madison Square Garden, Yankee Stadium, and Times Square to hear them.[9] Graham recalled in his autobiography that during this time, he and King developed a close friendship and that he was eventually one of the few people who referred to King as "Mike," a nickname which King asked only his closest friends to call him.[45] Following King's assassination in 1968, Graham mourned that the U.S. had lost "a social leader and a prophet".[44] In private, Graham advised King and other members of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC).[46]

Despite their friendship, tensions between Graham and King emerged in 1958 when the sponsoring committee of a crusade which took place in San Antonio, Texas on July 25 arranged for Graham to be introduced by that state's segregationist governor, Price Daniel.[44]On July 23, King sent a letter to Graham and informed him that allowing Daniel to speak at a crusade which occurred the night before the state's Democratic Primary "can well be interpreted as your endorsement of racial segregation and discrimination."[47] Graham's advisor, Grady Wilson, replied to King that "even though we do not see eye to eye with him on every issue, we still love him in Christ."[48] Though Graham's appearance with Daniel dashed King's hopes of holding joint crusades with Graham in the Deep South,[46] the two still remained friends and King told a Canadian television audience the following year that Graham had taken a "very strong stance against segregation.

So yeah, an evangelist Christian preacher was against gay marriage.

He supported the Vietnam war (seeing it as part of a just fight against communism).

He appeared to have adapted his views of other religions to a more inclusive house of worship as he grew in prominence, which is a good thing, but of course leaves 40 year old statements with some justifiable criticism.

I think this is a pretty well rounded view of his legacy:
Billy Graham leaves a positive interfaith legacy, with a few blemishes

I was impressed he took a stand here and I think is the biggest insight into his goals and view on his own faith with others:

In a 1973 Christianity Today article, Graham explicitly articulated his rejection of evangelical efforts that specifically targeted Jews.

“I believe God has always had a special relationship with the Jewish people, as St. Paul suggests in the Book of Romans,” he wrote. “In my evangelistic efforts I have never felt called to single out the Jews as Jews nor to single out any other particular groups, cultural, ethnic or religious.”

His comments were in response to “Key ’73,” a major U.S. evangelical initiative that included a specific push to convert Jews. By responding as he did, Graham won the trust and admiration of many Jewish leaders.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Before I comment, was he involved in any scandals?
Yeah a couple lasting criticisms, the largest is Nixon tapes because they came out so late in life and overshadowed 40 years. Made some disparaging comments on Jewish control in the USA. He would later publicly ask for Jewish forgiveness and apologize.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Yeah a couple lasting criticisms, the largest is Nixon tapes because they came out so late in life and overshadowed 40 years. Made some disparaging comments on Jewish control in the USA. He would later publicly ask for Jewish forgiveness and apologize.
As well as state that he would never intermingle with partisan politics.

If the question Shinkicker @Shinkicker was more of outstanding scandalous in nature, I have to remain with my answer, in no.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
That's an interesting condemnation since I've just started reading and listening to a podcast about the Vietnamese war. I'm still pretty uneducated on it all, but my understanding is that the Nixon wanted to bomb the dikes and later decided that a nuke would be a better option to minimize the outcome and then did neither. Kissinger advised a risk of 200k deaths by attacking the dikes, so not sure where the article gets a million.

The North Vietnamese placed anti air craft guns and other legitimate targets on top of the dikes, essentially begging for the dikes to be bombed for propaganda.

Sooo, was Billy Graham privy to Kissingers death estimates when he advised, "try peace talks first, but if not, an overwhelming show of force to end this thing quickly would be justified"? The article implies yes but I just don't see evidence he was involved in those conversations.

Beyond Billy Graham, it does raise an interesting question. If the dike system is covered in military weapons, creates a transportation system for the enemy, and is of major economic importance to fund the military machine of the North... All while in the backdrop that if the North wins, the USSR advances global power. Is it moral to attack the dikes and risk 200k-1mil deaths to end it. At the end, a quick wikipedia says 1.1 million north vietnamese died in the protracted war, of which about 400k were civilians. Plus the increased deaths on those in the South.

I cringed reading the articles implications at first. But the more I think about it, the more it feels like the decision to use the atom bomb or not. Or even WWI which also considered many actions based on that idea, that without such a punch, the result was protracted trench warfare. Is it moral for an overwhelming strike for the greater good? I'm not sure the answer to this is clear 100 years after WWI that wrestled with the same questions.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
That's an interesting condemnation since I've just started reading and listening to a podcast about the Vietnamese war. I'm still pretty uneducated on it all, but my understanding is that the Nixon wanted to bomb the dikes and later decided that a nuke would be a better option to minimize the outcome and then did neither. Kissinger advised a risk of 200k deaths by attacking the dikes, so not sure where the article gets a million.

The North Vietnamese placed anti air craft guns and other legitimate targets on top of the dikes, essentially begging for the dikes to be bombed for propaganda.

Sooo, was Billy Graham privy to Kissingers death estimates when he advised, "try peace talks first, but if not, an overwhelming show of force to end this thing quickly would be justified"? The article implies yes but I just don't see evidence he was involved in those conversations.

Beyond Billy Graham, it does raise an interesting question. If the dike system is covered in military weapons, creates a transportation system for the enemy, and is of major economic importance to fund the military machine of the North... All while in the backdrop that if the North wins, the USSR advances global power. Is it moral to attack the dikes and risk 200k-1mil deaths to end it. At the end, a quick wikipedia says 1.1 million north vietnamese died in the protracted war, of which about 400k were civilians. Plus the increased deaths on those in the South.

I cringed reading the articles implications at first. But the more I think about it, the more it feels like the decision to use the atom bomb or not. Or even WWI which also considered many actions based on that idea, that without such a punch, the result was protracted trench warfare. Is it moral for an overwhelming strike for the greater good? I'm not sure the answer to this is clear 100 years after WWI that wrestled with the same questions.
The main concern in using the atom bomb wasn't some utilitarian decision about saving lives, that's just how it was later sold. It was to force an end to the conflict before the Russians declared war on Japan and joined the pacific theatre. There is plenty of evidence which suggests that Japan was on the brink of unconditional surrender anyway, but Truman didn't want the Russians to be at the table and have another situation like Germany.

Regardless, this utilitarianism is missing the point. The U.S. shouldn't have been there in the first place. It's just another dictatorship that the U.S. tried to prop up, like it currently supports 73% of the world's dictatorships.

Last edited:

Enock-O-Lypse Now!

Underneath Denver International Airport
Jun 19, 2016
I've seen a lot of comments like this. Cue ANOTHER body double!
Either I've inhaled to much Jet A fueling up my Bell 206 or it's D-Wave (D3MON) computing / CERN / Mandela Type Shit going down son!

Parallel Universes merging and flippin scripts Scientists at CERN opening up the gates of hell to the bottomless Abyss!

It's end times baby!!!!

Last edited:

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
Either I've inhaled to much Jet A fueling up my Bell 206 or it's D-Wave (D3MON) computing / CERN / Mandela Type Shit going down son!

Parallel Universes merging and flippin scripts Scientiests at CERN opening up the gates of hell to the bottomless Abyss!

It's end times baby!!!!
They will be punished with everlasting destruction and shut out from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might...

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015

Parallel Universes merging and flippin scripts Scientiests at CERN opening up the gates of hell to the bottomless Abyss!

It's end times baby!!!!
Not gonna lie, I thought he died already too.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
He's one of those cunts that always claimed disasters and terrorist attacks were because we didn't pray to Jesus enough or we gave the gays rights, if I remember correctly (too lazy to Google search).