An important video on the evelotion of sport (boxing)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Gay For Longo

*insert Matt Serra meme
Jan 22, 2016
Just finished watching this video from one of my favorite youtube boxing channels
It deals with boxing but I think the overall message is important for all sports fans to remember
It has some incredible highlights and the very end is a small clip from a TEDTalk that will surprise many of you

View: https://youtu.be/HWaaH70chac

Truck Party

TMMAC Addict
Mar 16, 2017
Just finished watching this video from one of my favorite youtube boxing channels
It deals with boxing but I think the overall message is important for all sports fans to remember
It has some incredible highlights and the very end is a small clip from a TEDTalk that will surprise many of you

View: https://youtu.be/HWaaH70chac
I think he's underestimating how many past heavies could beat the recent crop of big heavies like Klitschko & Joshua, & I'd pick Tyson & Ali over them confidently. He didn't say Tyson/Ali would lose as he called them something akin to forces of nature, & I got the impression he didn't want to be too provocative in the first couple of minutes to begin with. However, fighters like Holmes & Foreman I'd give a very good chance to beat them & I'd probably consider them favorites, & there's many others I think could as well. I do think Joe Louis & Marciano would be too small, if I remember right Marciano was 187 or so for a lot of his best fights. The simple fact is that the best big athletes these days aren't choosing boxing at nearly the same rate. Watching Wlad get blitzed by Corey Sanders(I think he was with Steward by then, anything before Manny wasn't his prime) & some of the fighters that buzzed Joshua, & there's a lot of fighters I could see beating them.

The rest of it was great, thanks for sharing. I'd have some minor quibbles, I think he rated Cotto's defense only at an 81 rating, but the guy held Mayweather to a 26% connect rate when Mayweather averaged 46% overall in his prime years. But they were only minor, I'm probably going to falldown a youtube rabbit hole & watch a lot more of his videos soon

Gay For Longo

*insert Matt Serra meme
Jan 22, 2016
I think he's underestimating how many past heavies could beat the recent crop of big heavies like Klitschko & Joshua, & I'd pick Tyson & Ali over them confidently. He didn't say Tyson/Ali would lose as he called them something akin to forces of nature, & I got the impression he didn't want to be too provocative in the first couple of minutes to begin with. However, fighters like Holmes & Foreman I'd give a very good chance to beat them & I'd probably consider them favorites, & there's many others I think could as well. I do think Joe Louis & Marciano would be too small, if I remember right Marciano was 187 or so for a lot of his best fights. The simple fact is that the best big athletes these days aren't choosing boxing at nearly the same rate. Watching Wlad get blitzed by Corey Sanders(I think he was with Steward by then, anything before Manny wasn't his prime) & some of the fighters that buzzed Joshua, & there's a lot of fighters I could see beating them.

The rest of it was great, thanks for sharing. I'd have some minor quibbles, I think he rated Cotto's defense only at an 81 rating, but the guy held Mayweather to a 26% connect rate when Mayweather averaged 46% overall in his prime years. But they were only minor, I'm probably going to falldown a youtube rabbit hole & watch a lot more of his videos soon
Ya he stayed on the fence for sure
Personally I take most of the older generation in all weight classes he went into
I'd take Hearns and Leonard over any welterweight in history
I'd take sugar Ray over any middleweight in history
RJJ in his absolute prime takes every lhw in history, archie moore could take most current lhw if not all imo
Probably take Ali in his prime over nearly heavy
Tyson I'm not so sure, he's a fucking killer and I'd take him over Joshua, I think prime Klitchko could have beat Mike by tieing him up and using that long ass jab to keep him at bay

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
It's weird how even on online forums the average age of a boxing fan appears to be 97.

The myth making/ball sucking of older fighters is ridiculous. Ali was an amazing boxer, but he would get mauled by the steroid-fueled NBA-sized HWs of today. If you think otherwise, you are, with all due respect, a complete fucking retard.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016

Holmes would murder any of the modern 'top heavyweights'.
Prime Holmes beats Prime Tyson.

Truck Party

TMMAC Addict
Mar 16, 2017
Holmes would murder any of the modern 'top heavyweights'.
Prime Holmes beats Prime Tyson.

I agree, it'd be Tyson/Ferguson except Holmes is much better than Ferguson. I thought Tyson was the GOAT until I saw the Ferguson fight & how open he was for straight rights

BenAskrensStrikingcoach

Formerly formulating formally
Jan 30, 2015
I didn’t watch the video, but the big evolution over the years is in conditioning.
Our understanding of human physiology has definitely improved in the last 50 years.

Top tier athletes get more from their bodies now.

If you look at olympic weight lifting as an example, big men were snatching 30 - 40 kilos less when Ali was a champion, compared to todays numbers.

Same with track sports, there are very few records still standing from Alis era.

I'd still pick a few of the older fighters against todays crop though.