VID Anderson Silva proclaims Mighty Mouse is the GOAT

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

MovinOn

Canis lupus familiaris
Jan 3, 2018
Agree or disagree? Is the level of competition at flyweight good enough to justify that distinction?

TMZ Sports recently caught up with Anderson Silva in Beverly Hills, asking him for his thoughts on the MMA "GOAT" debate.

Silva, who had 17 consecutive wins and 10 consecutive title defenses during his reign as UFC middleweight king, gave a clear answer.

"Demetrious Johnson is the new champion. He's the best one," Silva said. "I have my passion about my sport and I love when people are talking about this, because Demetrious, people need to respect because he's a great fighter.

“I think Demetrious [is the Greatest of All Time].”

Last year, Johnson broke Silva's UFC record for most consecutive title defenses (11) with a Submission of the Year victory over Ray Borg. Johnson's submission came midway through the fifth round in the form of a pop-up slam to armbar that has been dubbed the "Mouse Trap."

https://www.flocombat.com/articles/...s-johnson-is-the-greatest-fighter-of-all-time

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Agree or disagree? Is the level of competition at flyweight good enough to justify that distinction?
Strength of schedule is a big factor. GSP beat everyone is one of the deepest divisions, there's simply not enough small dudes with talent in comparison.

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017

TMZ Sports recently caught up with Anderson Silva in Beverly Hills, asking him for his thoughts on the MMA "GOAT" debate.

Silva, who had 17 consecutive wins and 10 consecutive title defenses during his reign as UFC middleweight king, gave a clear answer.

"Demetrious Johnson is the new champion. He's the best one," Silva said. "I have my passion about my sport and I love when people are talking about this, because Demetrious, people need to respect because he's a great fighter.

“I think Demetrious [is the Greatest of All Time].”

Last year, Johnson broke Silva's UFC record for most consecutive title defenses (11) with a Submission of the Year victory over Ray Borg. Johnson's submission came midway through the fifth round in the form of a pop-up slam to armbar that has been dubbed the "Mouse Trap."

https://www.flocombat.com/articles/...s-johnson-is-the-greatest-fighter-of-all-time

Reverse psychology. Smart man

Jk. That's cool as hell for anderson to say that. They are both elite of the elite. Legends of mma. Would be sick for MM to deny it and claim Anderson as Goat in response

ender852

TMMAC Addict
Jan 31, 2015
Maybe it's like a musical chairs type contest, when you come you're out, and the circle gets smaller. Last two(?) people win?

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
MM is current P4P, but not yet GOAT. When he defeats a champ of a deeper division, like TJ, he can claim GOAT

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
GSP has proven again and again he is the GOAT. Just winning all the time is not enough. Who do you beat? Do you avoid certain fighters? How deep is your division? Did you get busted for PED's? All factors that should matter.

ender852

TMMAC Addict
Jan 31, 2015
GSP has proven again and again he is the GOAT. Just winning all the time is not enough. Who do you beat? Do you avoid certain fighters? How deep is your division? Did you get busted for PED's? All factors that should matter.
I think you have to expound further on just winning is not enough, how you win matters. GSP playing king blanket and 5 round decisioning all his challengers makes him not the goat. Anderson looked like a fucking movie when he won, matrix FTW.

ender852

TMMAC Addict
Jan 31, 2015
Maybe it should bother me but it doesn't.
And many people think GSP had quite an hgh gut going on...

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015
Strength of schedule is a big factor. GSP beat everyone is one of the deepest divisions, there's simply not enough small dudes with talent in comparison.
How do u measure that though? whats the difference between beating guys like Jon Fitch vs Ali Baguhtinov? I don’t get how beating Jon Fitch is so much more credited just because he’s a heavier weight?

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
How do u measure that though? whats the difference between beating guys like Jon Fitch vs Ali Baguhtinov? I don’t get how beating Jon Fitch is so much more credited just because he’s a heavier weight?
During his UFC days, Fitch lost decisions to Maia and GSP, and a 1-punch KO from Hendricks. (and a draw with BJ Penn)
That's pretty impressive. Does Baguhtinov have a similar resume?

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015
During his UFC days, Fitch lost decisions to Maia and GSP, and a 1-punch KO from Hendricks. (and a draw with BJ Penn)
That's pretty impressive. Does Baguhtinov have a similar resume?
K maybe Baughtinov was a bad example.

What about Horiguchi? When he faced Johnson, he was 15-1, and Fitch was 18-2 when he fought GSP, somewhat similar, so how do u measure one is better than the other?

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Using that direct comparison.

Fitch had 8 fights in the UFC before getting his title shot over the span of 3 years. That's an impressive span and strong winning streak for anyone. After his loss he had another 4 wins in a row before he had a draw with BJ Penn then losing to Hendricks.

Ali had only 3 fights over the span of something like 20 months before his title shot. He then went 1-2 before being cut.

I think that shows there's just a lot more depth in the division which usually translates to more talent.

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015
Using that direct comparison.

Fitch had 8 fights in the UFC before getting his title shot over the span of 3 years. That's an impressive span and strong winning streak for anyone. After his loss he had another 4 wins in a row before he had a draw with BJ Penn then losing to Hendricks.

Ali had only 3 fights over the span of something like 20 months before his title shot. He then went 1-2 before being cut.

I think that shows there's just a lot more depth in the division which usually translates to more talent.
More depth in the division for sure but doesn’t that have more to do with division being around longer?

Still has not much to do with the actual skill level of the fighters in the division

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
More depth in the division for sure but doesn’t that have more to do with division being around longer?
Would probably be a part of the reason. IMO it's mainly because there's not too many small guys out there let alone ones that fight. You can find 6' 200lbs dudes everywhere you go (maybe exclude Asia and Mexico). Depending on each one they could range from LW to WW in shape after a cut so naturally those divisions are going to have a steady stream of good fighters.