Andre Pederneiras to step away from head coach position at Nova Uniao

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

The man behind Jose Aldo, Renan Barao and many other successful Nova Uniao fighters will step back from doing something he's done for so many years: head coaching. Andre Pederneiras feels like it is time to let someone else take his place as the main trainer at one of Brazil's most famous gyms.

From now on, he only wants to coach at the gym and leave head coaching to some of his other students.

"I will still train the guys at the gym, I will still follow their development, but I don't want to be the head coach anymore. Some other kids at the gym will take over, each one will take a little group." Pederneiras told Portal do Vale Tudo. "I'm not saying I won't travel again, but that will reduce my trips almost to zero. Because of so many fighters, there's no way I can favor some fighters over others, which is what happens now and it's a bummer."
Good for him. All the travel must be hell, as well as trying to pick & choose who to work with. Wish him all the best.

LINK: Andre Pederneiras to step away from head coach position at Nova Uniao - Bloody Elbow

BJTT-Rizzo

Tanaka Clan
Feb 16, 2015
Coincidentally I'm wearing a Nova Uniao shirt right now. It says " So dues pose me julgar" meaning only god can judge me. Can anyone guess who wore this shirt to the cage?

nni

Jan 21, 2015
Coincidentally I'm wearing a Nova Uniao shirt right now. It says " So dues pose me julgar" meaning only god can judge me. Can anyone guess who wore this shirt to the cage?
You may want to get a new shirt made, with proper spelling :p.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Glad to hear Dede will get some rest, but sad for his fighters. What an amazing coach, competitor and fighter. He would've beaten Miletich if not for that cut imo.

regular john

Muay Thai World Champion
May 21, 2015
Bad for his fighters, awesome for him. Dude has earned it and I'm glad my first post here is praising him.

Best head coach and cornerman in the business. One of the few guys who actually gives practical advice and at least tries to change the game for his fighters.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Bad for his fighters, awesome for him. Dude has earned it and I'm glad my first post here is praising him.

Best head coach and cornerman in the business. One of the few guys who actually gives practical advice and at least tries to change the game for his fighters.
With posts like that, you are going to be a welcomed addition here.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

Good to see a new member getting involved early. :)

M

Morpheushasleftthebuilding

this

Darqnezz

Merkin' fools since pre-school
Apr 25, 2015

I think it will be great for his fighters. He gets to be home at the gym more. Thats where all the work and growth takes place. A great leader knows how to delegate authority. I think Nova Uniao only gets stronger.

Star-Lord

Saving the Universe one Fight at a Time
Amateur Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
I think it will be great for his fighters. He gets to be home at the gym more. Thats where all the work and growth takes place. A great leader knows how to delegate authority. I think Nova Uniao only gets stronger.
Great head coach. Will be missed. Glad he gets to spend time with his friends and family.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Dede has always been sort of an iconoclast in the sport. When he and Wendell Alexander teamed up, it was sort of a big deal in the BJJ community because finally there was someone to break the hegemony of Gracie Barra, Humaita and the other teams. Also, by teaming, they created an association that firmly united the two lineages of Mitsuyo Maeda's BJJ. Alexander came from Luiz Franca's lineage. Franca was one of the other students of Maeda along with Carlos Gracie. Alexander had trained with one of Oswaldo Fadda's black belts so he was well versed in footlocks which were of course controversial among Gracie BJJers at the time. By coming together to form the "new union" (Nova Uniao), Dede got to introduce his students to whole technical refinements in BJJ.

Dede also was the first rebel against the IBJJF, founding the CBJJO World Cup back in the early 2000s because he thought BJJers should get paid instead of paying to compete. It was the creation of this event that caused the big rift in Alliance resulting in the split into Brasa, Checkmat, TT, NineNine and eventually Atos. I believe Demian Maia was the first Alliance black belt to go compete in the World Cup and Fabio Gurgel basically kicked him out of Alliance for it. Dede wanted to give these promising athletes a platform and he did it for as long as he could.

He rebelled in other ways by training non-Brazilians in BJJ and holding nothing back at a time when others wouldn't. John Lewis and BJ Penn are a direct result of his openness. He was reviled by Carlson after Lewis fought Carlson Jr. to a draw, but he stuck with it. Back then, he and Joe Moreira were two of the only guys training non-Brazilians for NHB.

Later, he started a program going into the favelas and offering poor kids the opportunity to train for free instead of the sport just being for middle class Brazilians. That's how we ended up with guys like Jose Aldo and Renan Barao. He built his MMA team from the time they were kids and he's never shied away from making sure they can get the most out of their contracts, being a vocal advocate of enhanced fighter pay.

As a fighter, he also did well, drawing with Uno and Sudo, beating up Sato and losing on a cut to Miletich. Really, the guy has done it all.

For all the credit guys like Greg Jackson get, Dede, Wendell and the rest deserve just as much. His students back home are incredibly fortunate to have him back in the academy.

Last edited:

regular john

Muay Thai World Champion
May 21, 2015
this is the good part.

but he's simply awesome as a cornerman. I can only understand portuguese and english speaking cornermen but among those that I have heard he's the best by far. barely anyone gives any input at all. many times actually they give bad advice like "you won all rounds Nick". Dede always tells it like it is, remember the guys to keep their hands up all the time and will even tell someone to coast if the fight is won.

oh and awesome post above I didn't know none of that. I'm brazilian and I think he's even more of a boss for breaking that barrier.

BJTT-Rizzo

Tanaka Clan
Feb 16, 2015
Here it is. Nobody guessed. The guy who wore this beat Carlos Newton on his way to a title fight with the dominant farmer Hughes. I'll let you guys try figure it out. NO GOOGLE

BJTT-Rizzo

Tanaka Clan
Feb 16, 2015
I'll post the back when someone gets it right. His name is on the reverse side do I gotta hold off till someone deciphers this mystery.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
No wait, it had to be Charuto. He's the only NU guy close enough in weight and I believe he and Carlos mixed it up.

BJTT-Rizzo

Tanaka Clan
Feb 16, 2015
Only god can judge me.

It doesn't read like its printed when said in Portuguese. I've had so many people ask wtf it was over the years. They all messed it up. Most people thought it had something to do with the jugular lol.

So doo-es pone-jay may hoo-gar ( something like that)

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
Dede has always been sort of an iconoclast in the sport. When he and Wendell Alexander teamed up, it was sort of a big deal in the BJJ community because finally there was someone to break the hegemony of Gracie Barra, Humaita and the other teams. Also, by teaming, they created an association that firmly united the two lineages of Mitsuyo Maeda's BJJ. Alexander came from Luiz Franca's lineage. Franca was one of the other students of Maeda along with Carlos Gracie. Alexander had trained with one of Oswaldo Fadda's black belts so he was well versed in footlocks which were of course controversial among Gracie BJJers at the time. By coming together to form the "new union" (Nova Uniao), Dede got to introduce his students to whole technical refinements in BJJ.

Dede also was the first rebel against the IBJJF, founding the CBJJO World Cup back in the early 2000s because he thought BJJers should get paid instead of paying to compete. It was the creation of this event that caused the big rift in Alliance resulting in the split into Brasa, Checkmat, TT, NineNine and eventually Atos. I believe Demian Maia was the first Alliance black belt to go compete in the World Cup and Fabio Gurgel basically kicked him out of Alliance for it. Dede wanted to give these promising athletes a platform and he did it for as long as he could.

He rebelled in other ways by training non-Brazilians in BJJ and holding nothing back at a time when others wouldn't. John Lewis and BJ Penn are a direct result of his openness. He was reviled by Carlson after Lewis fought Carlson Jr. to a draw, but he stuck with it. Back then, he and Joe Moreira were two of the only guys training non-Brazilians for NHB.

Later, he started a program going into the favelas and offering poor kids the opportunity to train for free instead of the sport just being for middle class Brazilians. That's how we ended up with guys like Jose Aldo and Renan Barao. He built his MMA team from the time they were kids and he's never shied away from making sure they can get the most out of their contracts, being a vocal advocate of enhanced fighter pay.

As a fighter, he also did well, drawing with Uno and Sudo, beating up Sato and losing on a cut to Miletich. Really, the guy has done it all.

For all the credit guys like Greg Jackson get, Dede, Wendell and the rest deserve just as much. His students back home are incredibly fortunate to have him back in the academy.
Awesome piece! You should post publicly if you don't already