'Angry and resentful' Michael McDonald not interested in returning under current contract

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Spending two years rehabbing hand and wrist injuries, McDonald may be healthy but he's not exactly rushing back into action.

As it turns out, McDonald isn't thrilled about how much he's earning fighting in MMA's premier organization.

"I think everyone has expectations of being a professional athlete, and it's just not exactly what you expect," McDonald told ESPN's Brett Okamoto. "It wasn't very fun after a while. I didn't feel any passion for fighting or the people around me. I'd say things started to get complicated after the Miguel Torres fight. Money was something I've never wanted to focus on, but when I look around and see people who I'm beating making a lot more than me, I started to feel angry and resentful."

"I knocked out Torres and I barely made any money. That's when that frustration started and it just makes you not enjoy your job. You feel underappreciated and cheated. You don't want to go out and fight the best fighters in the world, then go home and wonder if you can pay your bills. You start to say, 'Something's not right now. I'm angry.'"

"If the UFC wants me to fight these great guys like Faber, it's not like I'm looking to play hardball," said McDonald. "But yeah, I wouldn't want to fight him with the pay I'm getting now. So, maybe it turns into a contract renegotiation. Maybe it's, 'Let's hold off and not take this fight right now.' Maybe it's, 'Well, can we get a little more guaranteed money for this fight but keep the same contract?" I don't know what it's exactly going to be, but I have to be taken care of."

LINK: Morning Report: 'Angry and resentful' Michael McDonald not interested in returning under current contract - MMA Fighting

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Good for him...Fuckn tired of Bloodsucking Zuffa not taking care of their guys...Now Dfw will be mad saying "how dare you not wanna suffer while we tip Black jack dealers more than we pay fighters...If these guys can't live off section 8 and make us Millions they don't wanna be fkn fighters"...Im so fucking sick of this shit...I hope that lawsuit devastates them into selling the UFC abd the fighters get what there deserve..They can afford to pay these guys but DON'T, they are money hungry Sociopaths who think they invented the sport..

Last edited:

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
A small drip will fill a bucket over time, more and more it sounds like are starting to talk up

Narcosynthesis

Posting Machine
May 25, 2015
Go get a job at Mickey D's then like everyone else with no skills and a brain as small as a turnip.

EDIT: C'mon man, you know the rules here. You want to fighter bash, there's 3 forums that I know of that allows it...we're just not one of them. All we ask is people kindly respect us enough, to respect our core values here.

Thx -
Wild

Last edited by a moderator:

Narcosynthesis

Posting Machine
May 25, 2015
whatever. I just got back home from my under appreciated fuckin job and see this dude crying about having a career where people actually cheer what he's doing and worship at his feet like he's some kind of real warrior. Sorry. We all make our own beds and lie in them too.

Hired Gun

If You Only Knew What I Dooooo
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
And people think Bellator/Rizing/M1/Glory aren't going to be a serious competitor?

Fighters are not happy right now. Zuffa has allot of turmoil going on.

This merger will open allot of doors for allot of fighters offering them options.

Narcosynthesis

Posting Machine
May 25, 2015
And people think Bellator/Rizing/M1/Glory aren't going to be a serious competitor?

This merger will open allot of doors for allot of fighters offering them options.
Bellator is a bigger cheapskate than the UFC.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015

Yeah but are those companies better options?

Bellator's payouts are mediocre, Glory isn't catching on just as kickboxing has never really caught on (as much as I love it), and as much as people complain about the UFC's payouts, at least those cheques do come. So many fighters have been burned by Japanese promoters over the years, many of whom are still owed money. And with so many Japanese fighting orgs that have gone tits up over the last 10 years (Pride, K-1, Dream, Sengoku, WVR, ect), how long can we expect Rizin to be around?

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
whatever. I just got back home from my under appreciated fuckin job and see this dude crying about having a career where people actually cheer what he's doing and worship at his feet like he's some kind of real warrior. Sorry. We all make our own beds and lie in them too.
Maybe you are going to have to learn how to flip those burgers faster

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
Go get a job at Mickey D's then like everyone else with no skills and a brain as small as a turnip.

EDIT: C'mon man, you know the rules here. You want to fighter bash, there's 3 forums that I know of that allows it...we're just not one of them. All we ask is people kindly respect us enough, to respect our core values here.

Thx -
Wild
Real classy Narcosynthesis @Cerberus

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Oh shut up. He already censored me as I thought he would. Move on.
Well if you know I'm going to do that, why cause more work for me brother? It's not exactly easy trying to manage the site, work a real job, and try to give my family an hour or two a day as it is. I would prefer to not spend time editing posts...and I know you all don't want that either. I dont expect anyone to kiss our asses here...just respect us enough for trying to give MMA fans a decent place to discuss the sport, to follow the few rules we have here. That's fair enough, isnt it?

And I'm not trying to single you out my man. We've got a few here that tend to fighter bash at times, and we will continue to remind them of what we're about as well.

delightone

Insert Crown here
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
So you get to bitch about your " under apprectiated fucking job" and he doesn't, cheers do not pay the bills brother.