General Anthony Bourdain dead at 61

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Just saw. Fuck that sucks. He went thru a lot of battles in his life and seemed top of the world the past few years.

RIP

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
Very sad. He was here in Newfoundland last year and filmed an episode of his show, which just aired last month I believe. He went all around St. John's, did some hunting - lots of stories came out about what a great dude he was. One of my buddies ran into him at a bar and he was buying everyone drinks. Just seemed like an awesome dude.

So weird seeing so many people who seemingly have everything you could want, just deciding to off themselves. It's hard to wrap your mind around. Mental illness is a bitch.

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
Just came to post this, he seemed so happy with his new girlfriend but so angry about the Weinstein stuff with her.

I read two of his books and they were brilliant. Both his Les Halles restaurants in NY went into receivership not too long ago if I recall correctly so guess it just all got too much maybe.

Gutted. Today is going to be one shitty shitty day.

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
Still horrible but you could sort of understand it about Chris Cornell and Chester Bennington. I know Anthony was into all sorts of drugs years ago but he just seemed to have his shit together after that. Such a damned shame.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I wonder if all the Kate Spade coverage played into this...
Depressed, struggling, pushed over the edge watching all the coverage of another aging celebrity escape the pain?

I can't possibly know his actual struggles, but the copycat effect is real and strongest among those in similar circumstances to the first suicide.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
It's hard to wrap your mind around. Mental illness is a bitch.
Hell yeah it is...
It's so deeply personal.
It makes me realize how little worldly possessions or fame actually matter. Sounds good when we have the other stuff that matters, but maybe it's really lonely at the top. I read some stuff by Bourdain after his divorce talking about how amazing his job was but how it basically killed his marriage and left him lonely. The guy was traveling like 300 days a year. Fuck, even if it's cool stuff, that starts to feel shallow. You're just the visitor and I'm sure it becomes more job than idealized lifestyle or extended adventure and vacation.

I hope his ex wives (they were all long-term marriages with peaceful divorces) and kid find some support.

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
Oh crap. He was found by a "friend and fellow chef". I wonder if it was Eric Ripert? They were the best of friends.

Edit: Oh crap, yeah it was.

Kingtony87

Batman
Feb 2, 2016
I wonder if all the Kate Spade coverage played into this...
Depressed, struggling, pushed over the edge watching all the coverage of another aging celebrity escape the pain?

I can't possibly know his actual struggles, but the copycat effect is real and strongest among those in similar circumstances to the first suicide.
Exact same thing happening with school shooters.

Dick Niaz

Yearning for TMMAC days gone by
Jan 14, 2018
Fuck. I really enjoyed him as an entertainer and personality. I loved how he was unapologetic about his demons, and unabashed in his take on food and life.

He was also a huge MMA fan and trained BJJ at Renzo's in NYC.

RIP.

Disciplined Galt

Disciplina et Frugalis
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Very sad. He was here in Newfoundland last year and filmed an episode of his show, which just aired last month I believe. He went all around St. John's, did some hunting - lots of stories came out about what a great dude he was. One of my buddies ran into him at a bar and he was buying everyone drinks. Just seemed like an awesome dude.

So weird seeing so many people who seemingly have everything you could want, just deciding to off themselves. It's hard to wrap your mind around. Mental illness is a bitch.
Once you realize life is pointless it ain't that hard to take the leap. Don't want to encourage anyone, but life really is pointless.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Once you realize life is pointless it ain't that hard to take the leap. Don't want to encourage anyone, but life really is pointless.

The final maturation of a man is realizing everything you create, do, or learn will all go to dust. And then doing a great job anyways as an input into the world bigger than yourself.
If nothing matters, I find it liberating. Do your best into the universe and be at peace with that input and unknown for the sake of itself.

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
Fuck. I really enjoyed him as an entertainer and personality. I loved how he was unapologetic about his demons, and unabashed in his take on food and life.

He was also a huge MMA fan and trained BJJ at Renzo's in NYC.

RIP.
I was just thinking about that, he his ex and his daughter trained there together. I'm surprised he found the time.

Poor Eric Ripert, they were such good friends. I feel terrible for him.