General Anthony Bourdain dead at 61

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
But how can you repent if you're dead? Ahhh, got you there!
That is of course the Catholic argument. But The Bible doesn't say that you have to repent. The Bible says that once you accept Jesus Christ as your savior and Lord no earthly creature can separate you from God.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I don't need a Bible, and I don't need religion. It's F'ed up to kill yourself if you have young children. If there is an afterlife, no matter what religion you practice, I would hope that this would be one of those unforgivable things you could do in life. It's murder. The only difference is, the murderer is killing themself.
Ok my bad. You referenced heaven and a rule about how you get there. Just assumed.

Sex Chicken

Exotic Dancer
Sep 8, 2015
I don't need a Bible, and I don't need religion. It's F'ed up to kill yourself if you have young children. If there is an afterlife, no matter what religion you practice, I would hope that this would be one of those unforgivable things you could do in life. It's murder. The only difference is, the murderer is killing themself.
Whether we die in service of his name or take our own life in the washroom of a bus stop after jerking off a Dutch tourist, there is no place where God’s loving light won’t reach us. He is good. His eternal forgiveness is his love. He is God. He is love.

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
I feel a tad out of the loop. Never saw his show or knew much about him, but his passing seems to be making lots of waves.

R.I.P.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I agree with all of that except the last sentence. God is God and does not care about religion if God made it so you had to be of 1 religion than God would be the most evil bastard ever.

I'm responding to a post referencing the Bible's teachings and my response is in the context of what the Bible says. I'm not trying to get my religious voice heard here, just clarifying what the referenced Bible actually says.

SensoriaUtopia

First 100
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I'm responding to a post referencing the Bible's teachings and my response is in the context of what the Bible says. I'm not trying to get my religious voice heard here, just clarifying what the referenced Bible actually says.

10/4

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
It's a shame this has turned into a religion thread. Get on with it, obviously and I'm not trying to moderate or tell anyone off because I don't work here. It's just a shame.

I always thought it was brilliant he was lanky as all fuck but he ate for a living.

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I bet you know all about this bible verse

“Little children, it is the last hour; and as you have heard that the Antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have come, by which we know that it is the last hour.”

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
Andrew Zimmern can't take his shoes because he's just not cool enough as much as I like him. I hope CNN retire all idea of the show now.

I can remember in the UK I had to order Bourdain's first DVDs from the US from The History Channel because they weren't available to buy in the UK. I watched them so much.

SensoriaUtopia

First 100
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Andrew Zimmern can't take his shoes because he's just not cool enough as much as I like him. I hope CNN retire all idea of the show now.

I can remember in the UK I had to order Bourdain's first DVDs from the US from The History Channel because they weren't available to buy in the UK. I watched them so much.

I'm gonna miss the incredible person that was Anthony Bourdain. May his spirit shine on somewhere outstanding enough to accomadate him. AllDay

HEATH VON DOOM

Remember the 5th of November
Oct 21, 2015
It's a shame this has turned into a religion thread. Get on with it, obviously and I'm not trying to moderate or tell anyone off because I don't work here. It's just a shame.

I always thought it was brilliant he was lanky as all fuck but he ate for a living.
Its too bad this turned into a memorial for a obvious scumbag. Think what you want but you cant argue that what he did to his child is selfish. Im sure his girl is going to be perfectly well adjusted knowing she didnt mean enough to him to live.

Dick Niaz

Yearning for TMMAC days gone by
Jan 14, 2018
There always seems to be an ominous quote when a person of stature passes. Anthony Bourdain on his life philosophy:

"Life is complicated. It’s filled with nuance. It’s unsatisfying... If I believe in anything, it is doubt. The root cause of all life’s problems is looking for a simple fucking answer.”

BrunoMcGyver

Bruno no dey carry last
Dec 30, 2015
This sentiment appears in every suicide thread “coward” “selfish”. In a lot of cases suicide is not a rational act. It is often accompanied by mental conditions which alter/distort perceptions. I can’t speak for the man but I wouldn’t be surprised if he was in a mental state where he felt like his daughter and the world itself would be better off without him.
I second this. I'm not a parent, but im sure every loving parent - in their right mind - would not want to do anything that would be detrimental to their young children. The key words are 'right mind'.

That said, he had the resources to seek the best of help for his mental issues. Either he took the easy way out, the demons were far too strong, or a bit of both.

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
I second this. I'm not a parent, but im sure every loving parent - in their right mind - would not want to do anything that would be detrimental to their young children. The key words are 'right mind'.

That said, he had the resources to seek the best of help for his mental issues. Either he took the easy way out, the demons were far too strong, or a bit of both.
Sometimes pride gets in the way of seeking help. We’ve all been there. I put up with shit I shouldn’t have been putting up with for 3 years before I told anyone and I feel entirely embarrassed about that now.
Anyone saying it’s the cowards way out when you literally can’t see any other way forward needs to fuck off.

I’ve never felt suicidal before anyone chimes in.

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
This bitch broke his heart

Celebratory mood: Asia Argento spent the weekend in Rome with reporter Hugo Clement, with the two seen smiling as they walked through the streets of Rome (Argento and Clement above on Sunday)

Happy pair: The pair were seen affectionately embracing just and laughing with a group of friends just a few weeks after attending the Cannes Film Festival (above on Sunday)

Good time: Argento is also enjoying professional success, having been named as a new judge on the Italian version of X Factor and directing the recent Parts Unknown (Argento and Clement on Monday above)

New love: Argento, 42, first met Bourdain, 61, just around the time that it was revealed that he and his wife Ottavia were separating after nine years of marriage (Argento and Clement on Monday)

Asia Argento embraces Clement who shared her attack on Weinstein | Daily Mail Online
I don't want to be a gossip but I was just discussing this with husband.

He was SO in love with her. Did anyone see the episode he did with her? It was almost like she was some temptress she had him so enthralled.

If this ^ was a legit thing, coupled with everything with Les Halles and just working out of his skin all the time, I'm not saying it's "understandable" but I get it a bit more.

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
his death made me me more sad as the day went on.
Yeah me as well. I was just thinking about him being besties with Marco Pierre White and them getting shithouse drunk together. It was funny. He was funny.

I hate it. To feel so lonely and so in the moment that you feel that you can't turn anywhere or to anyone just horrifies me, considering everyone who knew about him liked/loved/admired him so much. I bought two of your books, dammit!

I used to look forward to getting on a train into London reading him.

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
Did anyone see the episode with Eric Ripert? The guy who found him dead? (God bless that poor man) They were business partners as well as the best of friends. They were in some rain forest or something finding the best most sustainable cocoa to make chocolate out of as a business.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
Sometimes pride gets in the way of seeking help. We’ve all been there. I put up with shit I shouldn’t have been putting up with for 3 years before I told anyone and I feel entirely embarrassed about that now.
Anyone saying it’s the cowards way out when you literally can’t see any other way forward needs to fuck off.

I’ve never felt suicidal before anyone chimes in.
Depression medications have increased drastically since the 90's, yet suicide rates have increased. Seeking help? From whom? Experts?

Sam, my man, this part isnt directed at you, but i decided to not make a separate post. I hope you understand ny man. Hopefully this is cool with you, bro.

Personally, I see no issue with suicide. It isn't selfish as others have said. I would counter those arguments with those that want them around to continue to suffer are the selfish ones. Pills are artificial happiness, and alter who someone truly is. The world and life isn't made for everyone. Sometimes it's just time for someone to go. Who is anyone else to say otherwise? None of us selected life. Perhaps it was selfish for two people to create another without their concent.

In a nutshell, bummer Anthony isn't going to have more shows. I loved his shows. I feel bad for those who loved him. At the end of the day, if it was indeed suicide, people should find peace in suicide was his choice.