Lifestyle Any EV owners on here?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
I love that VW is making an electric bus

The ID.4 also seems pretty nice. I haven't looked into it too much but I've seen a couple around and they're kind of snazzy.

I'm always worried about the electrical issues with anything VW/Audi based and can't help but think that they would be even worse on en EV.

Q @Qat Why can't your people figure that stuff out? Everything else you do is so precise but gremlins live in your electrical systems.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Somebody told me to get a Rivian to go green...Had a biden sign out front as he told me how amazing of a truck it was

I tow trailers though and I don't think a Rivian would like that very much...Towing real weight reduces distance by 50% or something

Looks cool but a bit too spendy for me and also is untested/unproven for my needs

Saw it do some 4x4 shit and it performed but it sounded hideous

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yeth5v_5dPM

Last edited:

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
That?

Worry? Care?...that?

I think it's a problem for the company's business model. I don't think it's anything in particular about them trying a bait and switch beyond the usual startup model. All of these EV companies are being built and run like tech companies. That goes along with a ton of upfront subsidy and initial artificially low prices. Would expect them to rise the subsequent years and then go down as technology improves. Right now a price increase is really hard for me to nail down that it's a business problem or a business tactic. There's a pandemic. There's supply chain issues. All kinds of stuff. Maybe it's them. Maybe it's a non redundant supply chain because they are new.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
The community I live in is way behind in having support for electric cars which makes a hybrid that more appealing.

Having said that, the idea of never having to drive into a gas station again is exciting. I want to be a gas snob.
I mean, where I am (Ontario) it won't be long before hydro costs more than gas anyways, lol. That being said, we fill my wife's Corolla hybrid about once a month. Last fill up (with gas around $1.50/liter) was $45. In the summer we're seeing 4.4L/100km, it's about 5L/100km right now.

Super Dave

The party’s over
Dec 28, 2015
I mean, where I am (Ontario) it won't be long before hydro costs more than gas anyways, lol. That being said, we fill my wife's Corolla hybrid about once a month. Last fill up (with gas around $1.50/liter) was $45. In the summer we're seeing 4.4L/100km, it's about 5L/100km right now.
Yes we’re about to get hammered on hydro in the not too distant future

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Yes we’re about to get hammered on hydro in the not too distant future
I had a really long winded diatribe written up, but didn't really want to bore anyone with my incoherent rambling. Long story short, the current electric offerings by in large part don't solve any problems. Hybrids are the best option at this point, and offer a huge reduction in fossil fuel usage. Ie, A hybrid will reduce your fuel consumption by roughly half without any additional burden on infrastructure. Eelctric of course will reduce your use by 100%, but there's a massive burden on infrastructure. People seem to think that in a place where every year we get warnings of brownouts due to overuse of A/C that we can plug a couple million cars into that same power grid and not have any issues.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
We went to a Hybrid for my wife last year. 10/10 would recommend. Plug in hybrids are about the best of both worlds unless you're buying am electric as a second car just for commuting.
My wife really wanted to get a hybrid, but she’s decided to keep her 2019 Accord (she was leasing, but bought it out because they didn’t think they’d be able to get her another car soon. And honesty, the buyout price was a good bit lower than I expected). She’s had a couple of Hondas that have been good to her, so that’s what she wanted to stay with. But the huge Honda dealership here is still practically empty. So she decided it wasn’t worth wasting any time messing with. If she wanted to lease again, they couldn’t even guarantee they could find another one. Crazy times. I have a feeling her next car will be a hybrid though.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
My wife really wanted to get a hybrid, but she’s decided to keep her 2019 Accord (she was leasing, but bought it out because they didn’t think they’d be able to get her another car soon. And honesty, the buyout price was a good bit lower than I expected). She’s had a couple of Hondas that have been good to her, so that’s what she wanted to stay with. But the huge Honda dealership here is still practically empty. So she decided it wasn’t worth wasting any time messing with. If she wanted to lease again, they couldn’t even guarantee they could find another one. Crazy times. I have a feeling her next car will be a hybrid though.
Yeah, it's crazy.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Yeah, it's crazy.
I don’t know how to compare it, but this is a huge dealership as far as I can tell. The day she went in to buyout this car, they had less than 20 cars on the lot. Wild. I wouldn’t normally think to buyout a lease, but the price was actually good and she has a solid 2019 car. And she has been working from home so she’s only put like 18k miles on it. She’s happy, so in turn I’m happy ?

gangsterkathryn

저승사자
Oct 20, 2015
Yeah, it's crazy.
The only reason I got lucky enough to get my car is that it was sitting as the dealer display at Costco and not on the lot. I was looking for a specific trim level, with certain extra features, in all black. It was the only one I could find in a 500-mile radius... not that I was driving 500 miles for it, but still.

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
The ID.4 also seems pretty nice. I haven't looked into it too much but I've seen a couple around and they're kind of snazzy.

I'm always worried about the electrical issues with anything VW/Audi based and can't help but think that they would be even worse on en EV.

Q @Qat Why can't your people figure that stuff out? Everything else you do is so precise but gremlins live in your electrical systems.
Come to think of it I did have some electrical issues with the sun roof on my first Audi.

But gotta say, I'm surprised how many German electrical cars I'm already seeing, VW and BMW leading the pack according to my sightings. The IDs are like everywhere already.

Personally we bought a hybrid just a couple of weeks ago, so far we are happy with it.
I kinda think electrical cars will improve leaps and bounds in the next couple of years, and a new car now won't be worth a lot if I decide to sell it, so I'm still biding my time on a pure electro.
Maybe my next company car tho, we will see.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Them Tesla's are fucken rapid. I saw one go at the lights the other month and it was way faster than I expected.

Still fucken gae tho.