Sports Any of you dorks into running?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
I bike 20 miles instead of running .

I used to have to run 10 miles a day being on baseball and soccer teams.

I used to be able to ditch the running in baseball, catchers had to run with the pitchers but all three of the catchers on my squad got good at avoiding the running. the soccer team didn't let me slack off.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
damn, that is a moon boot...whatever works yo
lmao

Maximalist shoes came along (led by Hoka but also others) as a response to the over recommendation for minimalist shoes.
High arches, road running, etc. do not lend themselves well to minimalist shoes. People took "Born to Run" and the five fingers dramatic look as a "secret" against the shoe industry. And then reality kicked in. Tribal barefoot runners that spend decades developing their feet and strides on clay and grass have little to nothing to do with John Doe running around his neighborhood or prepping for the city's half marathon.

Hoka has done a really good job of pushing the limits on padding that is plush but responsive, not squishy and dull like you would think...or like old maximalist walking shoes would be. Nike has followed and even upped the game for their racing shoes with crazy gel padding, but they don't last worth a shit. But they do make you faster and reduce injury in these distances and especially on road surfaces.

I think it's a good trend. Like I said, I'm built all wrong for minimalist wear and I don't run the right surfaces. But I do run a pair of free rn (minimalist shoes) once a week and walk in them anytime I'm at the gym because it's important to keep strong arches. Minimalist shoe trend did a good job of making people pay attention to their arches, foot strike, and need for a wider less encumbered toe box. But some people went way too far with it as some magic cure all for every runner problem and injury.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I start every day at 5am running a 5k then biking 15 miles, I started that about 5 years ago.

Drinking and being an alcoholic brought me no happiness, there was no substance or meaning behind the drunken debauchery -- there was always an empty void.
Awesome job switching habits :)
That's a lot of endurance work. Amazing.

I'd really like to switch to morning runs to leave my evenings free for lifting only. But I am just a serious night owl. I get my second wind after work to kill the gym so have a tough time 1> making it a priority in the AM 2>putting in a strong effort half asleep. Any secrets?

I prefer shoes with a lot of cushion so I typically buy HOKA

I run the Hoka Clifton's for my long run. Nike Pegasus for most of my other runs. I could get away with just those two but love the Nike Free RN, so run those at least once a week as an ode to minimalist foot strengthening.

There's evidence that switching up shoes will reduce your injuries too, which makes sense given that running injuries are mostly just repetitive stress stuff that you need to develop tolerance to over time. Changing shoes changes your energy/stress focus ever so slightly.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I bike 20 miles instead of running .
Any tips for a first road bike? Always thought that'd be a good thing to toss into the mix. But no idea where to start and the industry seems like its been changing fast in the last few years.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
Any tips for a first road bike? Always thought that'd be a good thing to toss into the mix. But no idea where to start and the industry seems like its been changing fast in the last few years.
I don't use a road bike.

I use a single speed fixie with FGFS bmx bars with a freewheel and flip flop hub (FGFS style)sometimes I will do 20 miles riding fixed it is a better workout.

I ride the strand or the long beach bike trail
Marvin Braude Bike Trail | California Trails | TrailLink.com
Long Beach Shoreline Bike Path

similar to this bike but mine has wider modified 700c x 38 tires and bmx platform pedals no straps

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
lmao

Maximalist shoes came along (led by Hoka but also others) as a response to the over recommendation for minimalist shoes.
High arches, road running, etc. do not lend themselves well to minimalist shoes. People took "Born to Run" and the five fingers dramatic look as a "secret" against the shoe industry. And then reality kicked in. Tribal barefoot runners that spend decades developing their feet and strides on clay and grass have little to nothing to do with John Doe running around his neighborhood or prepping for the city's half marathon.

Hoka has done a really good job of pushing the limits on padding that is plush but responsive, not squishy and dull like you would think...or like old maximalist walking shoes would be. Nike has followed and even upped the game for their racing shoes with crazy gel padding, but they don't last worth a shit. But they do make you faster and reduce injury in these distances and especially on road surfaces.

I think it's a good trend. Like I said, I'm built all wrong for minimalist wear and I don't run the right surfaces. But I do run a pair of free rn (minimalist shoes) once a week and walk in them anytime I'm at the gym because it's important to keep strong arches. Minimalist shoe trend did a good job of making people pay attention to their arches, foot strike, and need for a wider less encumbered toe box. But some people went way too far with it as some magic cure all for every runner problem and injury.
I fully agree...most that try to run without arch support, heel, padding end up injured

Having spent most of my life barefoot(naked barefoot hippy kid etc..) and with no raised soles(I take insoles out of my boots if they have a lift/false arch in the insole) the minimalist approach works for me. Before that book I was already using a zero heel shoe. I am self employed(so no boss to dictate safety gear/footwear) and I do construction in basic tevas/fivefingers most of year if it is not raining. I only wear traditional heeled boots when it is wet or cold. So my feet get all thrown off by padding and arch support, heels or padding can make my knees sore in a day or two and then it throws off my whole body...I think it is just angles that I am used to. I also am only 6 foot 190lbs and I have super wide size 13 feet(size 13s since age 14) so my platform is not normal for my size, probably has something to do with it.

I just thought that shoe looked funny...But whatever works to allow folks to run/exersize IMO

I am gonna try on a Hoka just for kicks next time I go to store, if they have one in my size(rare)...looks cool

Concrete is the enemy also, if I ran on concrete I would use something else...five fingers running on concrete stretches the hell out of my arch and foot

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
I don't use a road bike.

I use a single speed fixie with FGFS bmx bars with a freewheel and flip flop hub (FGFS style)sometimes I will do 20 miles riding fixed it is a better workout.

I ride the strand or the long beach bike trail
Marvin Braude Bike Trail | California Trails | TrailLink.com
Long Beach Shoreline Bike Path

similar to this bike but mine has wider modified 700c x 38 tires and bmx platform pedals no straps

My wtf is based on the idea of riding 20 miles on a fixie. Even on flat ground that would be a hell of a workout.

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
I run 3 miles three days a week, and do sprints to warm up before I lift. I can’t say I am a fan of running, but it is the simplest form of low/medium intensity cardio for me to do consistently.
I finally went to a real running store and got some advice about shoes instead of just going to a sporting goods store and picking something out myself. They put me in a pair of INOV8 Park Claws and sliced a whole bunch of lines in the soles. I love them, and they were about the same price as an off the rack shoe at a sporting goods store. I have run trails and on concrete with these with no issues. They are ugly, but I don’t care.
PARKCLAW 275

Mix6APlix

The more you cry, the less I care.
Oct 20, 2015
Used to run 5 miles a day. Then i fucked up my back with frozen tundra sumo circle of doom matches. (Basically just starting in at center of a soccer field where you either throw someone out of the circle or submit them. In Chcago in december were basically playing on concrete. Then one of our friends we played happy fun time was 6"7, 330 pounds offensive lineman, 3 year starter at a power5 conference school who has said his daily breakfast was coke and roids. He was fun, until he went hulk mode and ragdolled you.

TFK_Fanboy

First 200ish
Feb 9, 2015
So I used to run, it has been several years. Had knee surgery, got older/fatter, and a lot lazier

I still love the idea of running. Back in the spring I ran a 5k on a whim. I was slow but it was cool. But then I did not follow-up. Two weeks ago I ran another 5K on a whim. Zero running other than those two races. Now I just signed up for another 5K Oct 13th and a 12K Oct 20th. And depending on my schedule I might run a 5K Sept 14th

I have a pair of running shoes but I like the idea of having two different style shoes and switching. I also should probably start running at least 2-3x/week so I don't injure myself

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
So I used to run, it has been several years. Had knee surgery, got older/fatter, and a lot lazier

I still love the idea of running. Back in the spring I ran a 5k on a whim. I was slow but it was cool. But then I did not follow-up. Two weeks ago I ran another 5K on a whim. Zero running other than those two races. Now I just signed up for another 5K Oct 13th and a 12K Oct 20th. And depending on my schedule I might run a 5K Sept 14th

I have a pair of running shoes but I like the idea of having two different style shoes and switching. I also should probably start running at least 2-3x/week so I don't injure myself

two shoes is good.

I like the 5k. Its long enough for health benefits and realistically, its all I need in the military to move to another location.

Have you considered using "couch 2 5k" to train?

STRETCH those calves and hamstrings. Do your toeups and lunges. It'll all help prevent injury. Loose hamstrings, strong quads for the knee. Loose calf, strong tibialis anterior to help prevent those shin splints.

TFK_Fanboy

First 200ish
Feb 9, 2015
two shoes is good.

I like the 5k. Its long enough for health benefits and realistically, its all I need in the military to move to another location.

Have you considered using "couch 2 5k" to train?

STRETCH those calves and hamstrings. Do your toeups and lunges. It'll all help prevent injury. Loose hamstrings, strong quads for the knee. Loose calf, strong tibialis anterior to help prevent those shin splints.
the c25k was my plan until I signed up for the 12K ha

now I won't have time. my plan is to do the c25k but start around week 4 or 5.still has walking breaks and the running sections are where I can handle

then around middle of September start focusing on the 12k

I have done a few 1/2 marathons pre-knee surgery and pre-fat. even if I am never as fast as I was I do want to get back to longer distances again

I absolutely need to focus on stretching and toeups and lunges and such though

TFK_Fanboy

First 200ish
Feb 9, 2015
just picked up a pair of hoka bondi 6 shoes to run in. will do a couple miles tonight and test them out

Mix6APlix

The more you cry, the less I care.
Oct 20, 2015
I bike now due to being less impactful. I ride a Giant, name brand not size. Not too expensive and rides well. Until i get hit by a car which seems an almost weekly occurrence.

TFK_Fanboy

First 200ish
Feb 9, 2015
ran about 1.5 miles in them

what a weird feeling. I ran xc in HS and one year at a small Div II college. I have done a few halfs. I have never run in a shoe that felt like those. I will run a couple more times before the return period to acclimate to them

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
ran about 1.5 miles in them

what a weird feeling. I ran xc in HS and one year at a small Div II college. I have done a few halfs. I have never run in a shoe that felt like those. I will run a couple more times before the return period to acclimate to them
haha, you got the most plush ones so you'll def have a different feel. But they still only weigh one ounce more than big box brands with way less padding.

Given that you are trying to increase distance and just get out there consistentl, with a history of knee problem and weight loss goals, they are probably a perfect shoe for your goals.

If you get faster later, or just to have a different shoe, you can look at the ones with less padding 6-12 months from now. I like the Cliftons as a middle of the road. They will still have more padding than any other shoe you are used to, but it'll be JUST a tad firmer and more responsive.

But either way those Bondis are solid and will keep you moving into the miles

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
I bike now due to being less impactful. I ride a Giant, name brand not size. Not too expensive and rides well. Until i get hit by a car which seems an almost weekly occurrence.
I see people riding giant more now my local bike rack always has about 4 everytime I go.