Any of you guys following this BJ Penn/Pedro Carrasco story?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015
Usually the phrase "bad for the sport" is hyperbole, but this is one of the rare times I think it aptly applies. I wonder if Botter cares about or even realizes what a fool he is.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Usually the phrase "bad for the sport" is hyperbole, but this is one of the rare times I think it aptly applies. I wonder if Botter cares about or even realizes what a fool he is.
Nope. He's still responding to various people about being the one who broke this news, or broke that news. He either has an enormous ego, or a inferiority complex, or he's just a douche.

FeeO

You're all on steroids.
May 14, 2015
"BJ has been forthright and, I think honest with me" is some real Woodward and Bernstein-level work. It's like he doesn't realise he's either (a) accusing a man of serious crimes or (b) accusing another man and woman of lying about serious crimes. He should have some respect for that-- I mean, who gets on Twitter at this point and proclaims anything? It's arrogant.

delightone

Insert Crown here
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
whatever way this goes, fuck this sorry ass excuse of a twitter "journalist/journalism", and if you wanted hashtags in this post, fuck you too.

TheContinentalOp

Posting Machine
Mar 30, 2015
For further proof of how great of a journalist Jeremy Botter is, check out this piece he wrote to fellow Bleacher Report writers strictly "full (for?) internal purposes" regarding how not to upset Zuffa/UFC when covering them. Quite hilarious, worth the read, and showing of just how much control and influence Zuffa has over anyone reporting on the UFC.

By Jeremy Botter.

"Brian asked me to put together a small list of "things you don't do" regarding writing about Zuffa. I've had a ton of experience with Dana, both professional and personal, and I have a pretty good handle on what makes him tick and what pisses him off. (everything in this email is full internal purposes and not to be shared).

Here you go:

- Don't delve too deep into Zuffa financials. This goes for fighter pay, revenue, money donated to political campaigns. This is Dana's biggest pet peeve. Because they are a private company, it's almost impossible to verify actual financial numbers for any of these subjects. Even if you have two good sources verifying your information, there are still a lot of things they do behind the scenes that makes it a really tough subject to get right.

There are all kinds of under-the-table bonuses paid to fighters, from the top of the card all the way to the bottom. I have personally, with my own two eyes, seen a fighter who made $8,000 to show and $8,000 to win be handed a check for $45,000 after his fight ended because they were so happy with the excitement of his bout. This is not a random occurence - it happens multiple times per event, every event.

Nothing pisses Dana off more than people talking about Zuffa's financials and getting everything wrong. There is literally no way to grasp everything they do with their money, so there's no point in trying to speculate.

This is a very good way to piss them off and find yourself blacklisted. Stay away from it.

- Don't "report" things unless you have two very credible sources. Don't take a rumor and post it as fact.

- Don't report something a manager tells you unless you have verified it with someone who is not a manager. Managers will often use you to get their message out.

Loretta Hunt was banned from the UFC because she reported a story that was fed to her by Ken Pavia, who was actually feeding her false information because he was upset with Zuffa over the amount of backstage passes he was receiving for shows. Managers have tried to feed me information in the past that turned out to be false.

Don't be a mouthpiece and don't let them use you to send a message, because you'll be the one who gets burned.

- Don't be a mouthpiece for a fighter, either. They'll use you in the same way managers do when trying to send a message to the UFC.

- Don't talk about Dana's history with his mom. This is a fantastic way to find yourself blacklisted. Do not do it, either in articles or on Twitter or Facebook. It doesn't matter anymore, anyway, so there's no point.

- If you're writing an opinion article with a negative slant on Zuffa, make sure it's clearly worded as opinion. Don't mix rumors with your opinions. Dana has told me personally that he doesn't care if you write negative opinion stuff, so long as people know it's opinion. Don't mix negative opinion with reporting.

- Don't be negative just to be negative or edgy. Dana doesn't mind being asked tough questions, but consider the circumstance when you're doing it. If you're at a press conference or a conference call for a UFC event, keep your questions related to that event.

Don't bust out a question about a controversial topic in the middle of a press event designed to promote a certain fight card. Wait until after the press conference ends. Dana usually does a media scrum, and that's the best place to ask those types of questions. Save your questions for the right moment and you'll find that Dana is very accommodating.

- And finally, always remember this: you would be SHOCKED to learn how much they pay attention to when it comes to MMA media. Their corporate and PR teams love Bleacher Report, and they read everything. You may think you're flying under the radar, but you aren't. They are all paying attention.

Each and every day, the UFC PR team prepares a "morning report" consisting of articles from all major newspapers and MMA websites. This report is compiled and emailed to everyone on the corporate side of things, from top communications execs all the way to Dana and Lorenzo. I've seen these reports, and they are very thorough. And yes, they include Bleacher Report stories.

You're always being watched. I don't say this to scare you. I say it to let you know that you're not an unknown commodity, and that people are paying attention. They read what you write. Mistakes you make now, when you think you're under the radar, could end up burning you down the line."

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
That's a lot of talk about verifying information with multiple credible sources along with warnings about people trying to manipulate reporters.

Andrewsimar Palhardass

Women, dinosaurs, and the violence of the octagon.
Jan 8, 2016
Jesus christ what a trainwreck. I probably should have looked longer before giving Botter benefit of a doubt earlier. Had to go to work.

He has to be an idiot, because only an idiot chooses a picture of himself looking like The Basement Dwelling King of Swanson's Hungry Man meatloafs as his "I'm a Writer" photo.
I feel duped as well. His information is usually good, but he really jumped the gun here and it has major implications in terms of public perception.

FeeO

You're all on steroids.
May 14, 2015
hmmmm...anyone catch the pictures Pedro tweeted before he deleted them? -

View: https://twitter.com/LATLPEDRO/status/700596452490354689

Why do these fools keep tweeting stuff and then deleting. Figure out your damn game plan amateurs.
...pictures?! If you have pictures of a guy committing an assault (allegedly?) against you or someone you love, you don't put them on the internet and then delete them. If you're lying, it'll expose you. If the other guy is lying, you've just damaged criminal or civil evidence. What the fuck is wrong with people. Were people always this crazy and dumb and reckless? This isn't some goofy Taylor Swift Twitter war. You're accusing someone of sexual assault!

P

Punch

...pictures?! If you have pictures of a guy committing an assault (allegedly?) against you or someone you love, you don't put them on the internet and then delete them. If you're lying, it'll expose you. If the other guy is lying, you've just damaged criminal or civil evidence. What the fuck is wrong with people. Were people always this crazy and dumb and reckless? This isn't some goofy Taylor Swift Twitter war. You're accusing someone of sexual assault!

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
I'm guessing he is talking about pictures of him with BJ in and around the time this was going down.

delightone

Insert Crown here
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
For further proof of how great of a journalist Jeremy Botter is, check out this piece he wrote to fellow Bleacher Report writers strictly "full (for?) internal purposes" regarding how not to upset Zuffa/UFC when covering them. Quite hilarious, worth the read, and showing of just how much control and influence Zuffa has over anyone reporting on the UFC.

By Jeremy Botter.

"Brian asked me to put together a small list of "things you don't do" regarding writing about Zuffa. I've had a ton of experience with Dana, both professional and personal, and I have a pretty good handle on what makes him tick and what pisses him off. (everything in this email is full internal purposes and not to be shared).

Here you go:

- Don't delve too deep into Zuffa financials. This goes for fighter pay, revenue, money donated to political campaigns. This is Dana's biggest pet peeve. Because they are a private company, it's almost impossible to verify actual financial numbers for any of these subjects. Even if you have two good sources verifying your information, there are still a lot of things they do behind the scenes that makes it a really tough subject to get right.

There are all kinds of under-the-table bonuses paid to fighters, from the top of the card all the way to the bottom. I have personally, with my own two eyes, seen a fighter who made $8,000 to show and $8,000 to win be handed a check for $45,000 after his fight ended because they were so happy with the excitement of his bout. This is not a random occurence - it happens multiple times per event, every event.

Nothing pisses Dana off more than people talking about Zuffa's financials and getting everything wrong. There is literally no way to grasp everything they do with their money, so there's no point in trying to speculate.

This is a very good way to piss them off and find yourself blacklisted. Stay away from it.

- Don't "report" things unless you have two very credible sources. Don't take a rumor and post it as fact.

- Don't report something a manager tells you unless you have verified it with someone who is not a manager. Managers will often use you to get their message out.

Loretta Hunt was banned from the UFC because she reported a story that was fed to her by Ken Pavia, who was actually feeding her false information because he was upset with Zuffa over the amount of backstage passes he was receiving for shows. Managers have tried to feed me information in the past that turned out to be false.

Don't be a mouthpiece and don't let them use you to send a message, because you'll be the one who gets burned.

- Don't be a mouthpiece for a fighter, either. They'll use you in the same way managers do when trying to send a message to the UFC.

- Don't talk about Dana's history with his mom. This is a fantastic way to find yourself blacklisted. Do not do it, either in articles or on Twitter or Facebook. It doesn't matter anymore, anyway, so there's no point.

- If you're writing an opinion article with a negative slant on Zuffa, make sure it's clearly worded as opinion. Don't mix rumors with your opinions. Dana has told me personally that he doesn't care if you write negative opinion stuff, so long as people know it's opinion. Don't mix negative opinion with reporting.

- Don't be negative just to be negative or edgy. Dana doesn't mind being asked tough questions, but consider the circumstance when you're doing it. If you're at a press conference or a conference call for a UFC event, keep your questions related to that event.

Don't bust out a question about a controversial topic in the middle of a press event designed to promote a certain fight card. Wait until after the press conference ends. Dana usually does a media scrum, and that's the best place to ask those types of questions. Save your questions for the right moment and you'll find that Dana is very accommodating.

- And finally, always remember this: you would be SHOCKED to learn how much they pay attention to when it comes to MMA media. Their corporate and PR teams love Bleacher Report, and they read everything. You may think you're flying under the radar, but you aren't. They are all paying attention.

Each and every day, the UFC PR team prepares a "morning report" consisting of articles from all major newspapers and MMA websites. This report is compiled and emailed to everyone on the corporate side of things, from top communications execs all the way to Dana and Lorenzo. I've seen these reports, and they are very thorough. And yes, they include Bleacher Report stories.

You're always being watched. I don't say this to scare you. I say it to let you know that you're not an unknown commodity, and that people are paying attention. They read what you write. Mistakes you make now, when you think you're under the radar, could end up burning you down the line."

Well this just show you how MMA coverage works, don't piss of zuffa even if you know something worth telling, fuck this shit

LurkenLikaGherkin

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015

By Jeremy Botter.

Here you go:

What an absolute fucken donkey. He is literally human pollution.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
it is a bit of a humble brag on pedros part to say "my playboy playmate GF"

LurkenLikaGherkin

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
There's no doubt Pedro is an odd dude. He's dating a chick that poses nude for a living.

But to him, you're an odd dude.

But don't look at me, I'm on your side.

Them being odd is neither here nor there, really. IMO it's one of those things that only matters in terms of supporting a view you already have.

Whether he's odd or not doesn't really have a lot of predictive value as to whether his Playboy Playmate's charges are valid (unfortunately).

LurkenLikaGherkin

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Hawaiian news outlet has picked up this story. Interesting to note that despite the incredibly ghetto layout -- way behind the html/web-design of some ghetto assed "MMA news" sites -- there's a little nugget in there that basically underlines the difference between legit straight world journalism & "MMA Journalists" (I'll bold it):

Former mixed martial arts champion and Hilo native B.J. Penn says he is being extorted by a former employee and his girlfriend, who says Penn sexually assaulted her last August.

Earlier this week, former BJPenn.com editor staff writer known as Pedro accused Penn on Twitter of sexually assaulting a woman.

A statement posted Thursday to BJPenn.com says, "The allegations that Pedro and his girlfriend are making against BJ Penn simply aren’t true. Penn trusted Pedro to run his website for almost a decade and considered him family. He was fired last year for unethical behavior and was provided a severance that ended on February 16, 2016. One day later, allegations appeared in a one- sided Twitter rant which happen to be many months after the alleged date in question.

The statement continues, "There are many holes in Pedro’s story. In the almost 15 years that Penn has been a champion fighter there has not ever been any incident or allegation in regards to his conduct with women. He is family man and father of two young daughters with a known long term girlfriend. It is unfortunate that someone that BJ considered family is trying to extort him."

But Pedro tells Hawaii News Now by phone that he has never asked for any kind of financial compensation.

"We're not after money so there's no reason to talk about a settlement," Pedro said.

He added that he might be convinced to drop the case "if BJ would issue a public apology and confession that would be the quickest, easiest way to resolve this. She wants him to be held accountable."

The sexual assault allegations spurred the Ultimate Fighting Championship to put Penn's comeback fight on hold.

In a statement, the UFC said it’s aware of the allegations against Penn and that the “organization requires all athletes who compete in the UFC to act in an ethical and responsible manner.”

“In light of the serious allegations, UFC has postponed plans to book Penn for an upcoming bout until more details are determined.”

Penn, 37, had announced plans to return to the UFC, after retiring in July 2014. Penn had said the fight was going to happen March 5.

A report on the alleged incident was made to Ohio police on Tuesday; the incident is said to have happened in Hilo. According to the police report, which Hawaii News Now obtained, the case is being sent to Hawaii County to investigate. Sources there say they have not gotten the case, but that could take weeks.

The 29-year old woman reported the alleged assault to police in Ohio, because that's where she and Pedro now live. He says they no longer felt safe in Hilo surrounded by Penn supporters.

When asked why it took so long for them to come forward, Pedro says Penn's family begged him not to go to the authorities. Pedro says text messages and emails will prove he tried to help B.J. Penn, who he claims has a substance abuse problem.

Copyright 2016 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.

KHNL : BJ Penn accusers deny extortion claim, says they never asked for money

IMO, an "MMA news" site isn't apt to even call Pedro (the idiot Botter is the only one known to have done so, thus far), or figure out how to do so, and wouldn't recognize the importance of qualifying that the interview was by phone. Most "MMA news" sites are only doing any interviewing they do by phone, and intentionally do not disclose this to readership.

LurkenLikaGherkin

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
OTOH...

'He added that he might be convinced to drop the case "if BJ would issue a public apology and confession that would be the quickest, easiest way to resolve this. She wants him to be held accountable.'

Hadn't bothered to read that far when I posted.

P

Punch

"We're not after money so there's no reason to talk about a settlement," Pedro said
Ok, hold the front door, didn't they say they were going to file a civil suit? How is that not going after money?

Or am i misremembering this?