Any Other Musicans Out There?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Kingtony87

Batman
Feb 2, 2016
Nice, that seems like a cool project with the Squire. I knew a guy in college that was in a band and played a cheap Squire...he made that thing sound pretty good! I was kind of leaning towards a Strat, but I just don't really like the way they feel. I prefer the necks on the Gibson's, and the semi-hollow body and humbuckers are more conducive to the sound I think I'm going after. Electrics are a new world to me, so much to learn.

I've been playing a little bass lately. I need to learn some more simple bass runs, as of now I can only play some very basic stuff. From my experience on a guitar I understand the fretboard, but rhythmically it's been a bit of a challenge switching gears.
lol I hear you, I play guitar like a bass player. There are very few guitar players I know that play a bass like a bass. As far as guitars go it's damn hard to beat the Gibson sound. I found they are a bit neck heavy for my taste though. When it comes to basses though fender has them beat pretty solid. Unless its a vintage grabber most of the Gibson basses I've played haven't held up when it comes to tone.

Kingtony87

Batman
Feb 2, 2016
good stuff dude..reminds me of early KILL SWITCH..,love this kinda music...
Thanks man, I appreciate it. This was my first project I was super proud of. The singer and I came up with this whole Greco-Roman inspired mythos of our own about the twins castor and pollux and did this as a quasi sort of concept album. It was a super fun thing to be a part of.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
lol I hear you, I play guitar like a bass player. There are very few guitar players I know that play a bass like a bass. As far as guitars go it's damn hard to beat the Gibson sound. I found they are a bit neck heavy for my taste though. When it comes to basses though fender has them beat pretty solid. Unless its a vintage grabber most of the Gibson basses I've played haven't held up when it comes to tone.
Totally agree with you regarding Gibson tone and Fender basses.

I play guitar like a bass player. There are very few guitar players I know that play a bass like a bass
This pretty much exactly describes my neighbor and me. He is primarily a bass player and it shows in his guitar playing, and I'm the guitar guy that plays shitty bass :)

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Kingtony87 @Kingtony87

Hauler @Alco Hauler

I was looking for an old thread where we were talking about guitars/gear....but I'll just say this in here:

I just bought two Yamaha acoustic guitars for $20. I've always been a fan of them, they're inexpensive but the tone is pretty decent. And they're built like tanks. This makes a total of 3 in my Yamaha arsenal...don't really need that many, but for $20 right?

One of them is a standard dreadnought (FG 400A, from the 90s I think), but the other is a junior size. I just got the junior cleaned up and re-strung....it's way more fun to play than I thought!

Last edited:

Kingtony87

Batman
Feb 2, 2016
Kingtony87 @Kingtony87

Hauler @Alco Hauler

I was looking for an old thread where we were talking about guitars/gear....but I'll just say this in here:

I just bought two Yamaha acoustic guitars for $20. I've always been a fan of them, they're inexpensive but the tone is pretty decent. And they're built like tanks. This makes a total of 3 in my Yamaha arsenal...don't really need that many, but for $20 right?

One of them is a standard dreadnought (FG 400A, from the 90s I think), but the other is a junior size. I just got the junior cleaned up and re-strung....it's way more fun to play than I thought!
Nice man, for their money yahmaha guitars definitely give you the best bang for the $$ you spend. I know a bunch of people that play them.

Kingtony87

Batman
Feb 2, 2016
Also I've recently began playing with a few new people writing tunes again. So expect some demos soon ☺

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Nice man, for their money yahmaha guitars definitely give you the best bang for the $$ you spend. I know a bunch of people that play them.
Totally agree. My main guitar right now is one of their "higher end" models (FG730S, bought it new about 2 years ago), and it has great tone and volume. I play with heavy picks, and the tone and sustain is just as good as much more expensive guitars. I'm a fan of the Yamaha! Now that I've had it for a while and broken it in, I'm going to take it in for a set up. The action could stand to be lowered a little.

Being cheaper guitars, I don't really have to worry about them too much if it's laying around the house, or when we're playing out in the garage or yard, etc.

I think the new one I just got will become my open tuning guitar.

Kingtony87

Batman
Feb 2, 2016
How are you liking the new bass?

here's a rough sketch of an idea I've been fucking around with. It's super bass chord heavy as this Rickenbacker has incredible articulation for a bass. At times you can clearly hear three notes at once. There are a few flubs here and there and real minimal mixing (slight compression and eq)

Last edited:

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016

here's a rough sketch of an idea I've been fucking around with. It's super bass chord heavy as this Rickenbacker has incredible articulation for a bass. At times you can clearly hear three notes at once. There are a few flubs here and there and real minimal mixing (slight compression and eq)
Loved it.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Kingtony87 @Kingtony87

Hauler @Alco Hauler

Nice score! Yamaha guitars are solid. They play as well or better than guitars priced twice as much.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016

Nice bro! Love it. Sounds good.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
The band I was in previous to that was called Praxia. We only put out one 5 song ep. It's a bit heavier then Red Letter Statement. We were a fairly good mix of Thrice, Coheed and Cambria, and Silverstein.

I'm not a big fan of guttural lead singers - just not my style, but I like the music on these tunes. Sounds professional dude - nicely done. How long ago was this?

Last edited:

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Nice, once you get that set up to record you've talked about we'll have to E-write together.
Haha. I'm not the player you are. Going through my brain is different than the sounds coming out of my guitar. ;)

Kingtony87

Batman
Feb 2, 2016
Haha. I'm not the player you are. Going through my brain is different than the sounds coming out of my guitar. ;)
You have no idea how "average" a player I really am. I've be super lucky to end up in bands with musicians far more talented then myself.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016

Nice man! I like it!

That's got a good feel to it.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
You have no idea how "average" a player I really am. I've be super lucky to end up in bands with musicians far more talented then myself.
Haha. As I think I've said numerous times before, I typically just play around a campfire. This one time we had a couple dudes show up who actually paid their way through college playing at local bars. I started out playing my typical shit - like Dennis Leary's "Asshole" or Sublime's "What I Got", then eventually these guys get their gear out. Guitars, harmonicas, bongos. Absolutely amazing players/singers. I wish I had recorded it - they were that good. They played a lot of Neil Young, Pearl Jam, Dylan, Grateful Dead, Pink Floyd. And they took requests and knew every song that was suggested. I just couldn't imagine being that good.

Anyway, the difference in talent was pretty obvious so I put my guitar down and just drank beer and enjoyed the hell out of their performance. But after a few songs they asked why I had put it away. They had me get it back out and had me play rhythm to a few of the songs they were doing. During some downtime when one of the guys was lighting up a joint I started dicking around with a random chord progression (something I always do) and the one guy freaked out. He's like, "Woh dude. Keep playing that..." I did, and he just jammed this acoustic solo over top of my playing like it was nothing. We went on for about 5 or 6 minutes, even changing things up a little bit just playing off of each other. It was pretty damn cool.