Any PC Gaming Nerds In Here?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Frozen_Rosen

May 14, 2016
I'm trying to make the switch to PC after being a long time console guy, My friends all say building it myself is better/cheaper I was wondering if anyone here has recommendations on whether I should build one or buy one. I'm looking in the 600 to 800 range for price.

ryanF

Jun 19, 2016
Definitely build. It's not too difficult and you'll get a much better machine for the money. It requires some research and it'll take you an hour or two to assemble your first time but it's well worth it in the end.

Here are a few subreddits that can be helpful. You can get an idea of what parts people are building to get the best value out of certain price ranges
Tailor-designed builds. • /r/buildapcforme
beginnersguide - buildapc
/r/buildapc - Planning on building a computer but need some advice? This is the place to ask!

WEWEREONABREAK

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
600-800 is kiiiind of gunna be on the low end of the PC gaming market.

Like IschKabibble @IschKabibble said, a Steam Machine would be great for you. If nothing else, the more Linux gamers there are in the world, the better.

IschKabibble

zero
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
600-800 is kiiiind of gunna be on the low end of the PC gaming market.

Like IschKabibble @IschKabibble said, a Steam Machine would be great for you. If nothing else, the more Linux gamers there are in the world, the better.
I've been having a hell of time getting Steam games to cooperate on Ubuntu. Tried watching TI6 on an Ubuntu version of Dota and it kept crashing. Fresh install of OS, proprietary NVIDIA drivers and all. So frustrating.

I'm ready to take a break from Linux and submit to Microsoft scooping up all my private data. lol

WEWEREONABREAK

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I've been having a hell of time getting Steam games to cooperate on Ubuntu. Tried watching TI6 on an Ubuntu version of Dota and it kept crashing. Fresh install of OS, proprietary NVIDIA drivers and all. So frustrating.

I'm ready to take a break from Linux and submit to Microsoft scooping up all my private data. lol
That's the thing, Nvidia drivers for Linux are also open source. Worse, they've had to be reverse engineered because Nvidia won't help the developers. Worse still, they've now added "security" features that make that process even more difficult.

Sad that it's taken about 15 years for Linux to go from 0.7% market share to just over 3% but it's happening. And it will get faster when it reaches a critical mass of users. Microsoft seems willing to assure this, with, like you said, its invasive new OS.

IschKabibble

zero
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
That's the thing, Nvidia drivers for Linux are also open source. Worse, they've had to be reverse engineered because Nvidia won't help the developers. Worse still, they've now added "security" features that make that process even more difficult.

Sad that it's taken about 15 years for Linux to go from 0.7% market share to just over 3% but it's happening. And it will get faster when it reaches a critical mass of users. Microsoft seems willing to assure this, with, like you said, its invasive new OS.
I'm very fascinated with data privacy, especially considering I work with protected health information on a daily basis. But the inconvenience factor will almost always result in defeat in terms of desktop environment. Just too many bugs to work out, even if you only strictly install open source software.

WEWEREONABREAK

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I'm very fascinated with data privacy, especially considering I work with protected health information on a daily basis. But the inconvenience factor will almost always result in defeat in terms of desktop environment. Just too many bugs to work out, even if you only strictly install open source software.
Yup. None of the distros were really made with accessibility for the average user in mind, unfortunately.

One of the biggest problems, in addition to the above, is MS Office. Really, if they didn't have Excel, Word and PP, they'd be losing Market share a lot faster than they currently are.

I read Google is making a new, open source OS. But, sadly, Google is just as bad as MS, when it comes to privacy. Hopefully, the competition will at least catalyze some developments.

Frozen_Rosen

May 14, 2016
I completely forgot about this, but I built my own PC, it wound up being like 800-1000 i cant remember the pricing of everything, but i went to a local microcenter and bought everything there after thanksgiving because they were having crazy sales, then it turned out i knew a chick working there and got the friends and family discount so i used the money i saved to get a second monitor, gaming keyboard and mouse and a capture card for streaming for my consoles.

Building is definitely the way to go after this experience, i can give a parts list if people are interested, im still a console gamer but the PC world is pulling me in fast.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
I completely forgot about this, but I built my own PC, it wound up being like 800-1000 i cant remember the pricing of everything, but i went to a local microcenter and bought everything there after thanksgiving because they were having crazy sales, then it turned out i knew a chick working there and got the friends and family discount so i used the money i saved to get a second monitor, gaming keyboard and mouse and a capture card for streaming for my consoles.

Building is definitely the way to go after this experience, i can give a parts list if people are interested, im still a console gamer but the PC world is pulling me in fast.
Welcome to the master race :)