Any programmers? Edit: Nevermind

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
Anyone here good at programming? Particularly C#
I am a programmer part of the time at my job, but I wouldn't call myself particularly good. I haven't used C# since school, but I have used it, so if no one else responds, I can be the consolation prize.

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
Anyone here good at programming? Particularly C#
I remember that "not equal to" is !=, but that's the extent of it. Iirc =/= also works, but why type an extra character if you dont have to (of course, the exclamation point requires as my key strokes technically, since you need to hit shift. But it's still a 33% time saver to go with !=

Feb 27, 2020
I remember that "not equal to" is !=, but that's the extent of it. Iirc =/= also works, but why type an extra character if you dont have to (of course, the exclamation point requires as my key strokes technically, since you need to hit shift. But it's still a 33% time saver to go with !=
I am a programmer part of the time at my job, but I wouldn't call myself particularly good. I haven't used C# since school, but I have used it, so if no one else responds, I can be the consolation prize.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72wQWEhatuk

I know, this isn't the best place to ask, but anyways I am working on an MMA game so figured worth a shot.
As far as programming goes, I can follow tutorials to get things working but I can never make sense of what I am doing, I have brain damage and just cant seem to retain the information or make use of it and apply it to other things so its pretty useless since the tutorials for complicated parts like player controls and mechanics really never cover everything. Basically all I can do is art stuffs.

Really didn't want to ask for help with this but even making small assets end up taking up way too much free time, Rev Share is the only thing I could promise if someone was interested and capable. Will give more details in messaging if anyone who can program is interested and has enough free time for something like this.

mfan773

Shake 'em off
Jun 14, 2015
I have programmed for years (in high school and some college), but I don't have the time to do a whole lot (engineering school) or the knowledge of C#, but can help in the general stuff that would be independent to the programming language that you use.

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72wQWEhatuk

I know, this isn't the best place to ask, but anyways I am working on an MMA game so figured worth a shot.
As far as programming goes, I can follow tutorials to get things working but I can never make sense of what I am doing, I have brain damage and just cant seem to retain the information or make use of it and apply it to other things so its pretty useless since the tutorials for complicated parts like player controls and mechanics really never cover everything. Basically all I can do is art stuffs.

Really didn't want to ask for help with this but even making small assets end up taking up way too much free time, Rev Share is the only thing I could promise if someone was interested and capable. Will give more details in messaging if anyone who can program is interested and has enough free time for something like this.
Can you link to one of the tutorials you're having trouble with, then we can see if we can understand anything or if it's over our heads?

Feb 27, 2020
Can you link to one of the tutorials you're having trouble with, then we can see if we can understand anything or if it's over our heads?
It's not so much trouble with a specific tutorial, it's the fact that I just can't make sense of the programming enough to start programming the controls and mechanics on my own.

I do at least know that it is doable, just don't know how to do it.

The combat system would be a bit tricky because it's not really been done before, it kind of has but it's a hybrid, would be using shoulder buttons/triggers for the chosing limbs(LR arms/LR legs) Left stick for attacks similar to Fight Night : Champion. Still undecided exactly how to make the grappling work but I got some pretty good ideas so it doesn't end up being cheese like EA's UFC games.
The game will be ultimately more of an extended career mode/RPG/sim than just a fighting game, multiplayer is an after thought because might end up hard to balance, but more details on that later.

My friend Athos would be a good place to start if you are looking for examples of how to write controller scripts, he has actually wrote a few for me but I always feel bad about asking the guy for help and he would always just do what I asked for me even tho he is super busy. Haven't talked to him in a minute, here is his channel
YouTube

Last edited:

mfan773

Shake 'em off
Jun 14, 2015
I've never used it, but looking at some of the website I think I can write up some quick pseudo-code with some comments on what it is doing so that you could do some stuff, but I can't help you on the actual programming language the engine uses because I don't have experience in C#. If you have to, check out stackoverflow.com for your programming needs. I usually type in something programming related that I don't know how to do in a particular language along with the keywords of the name of the language with stackoverflow in my search on Google, and usually I get the result I want within the first 2-3 search results.

Feb 27, 2020
What kind of input controller are you planning on using for your game?
By default there has to be Keyboard and Mouse input, but a 360/DS4 gamepad would be recommended for this type of game.

I can try to write up a diagram of the controller and functions, will probably take me a while to sort it out since it's all theoretic at this point. If it's not up in a few hours I'll try to get it done after I get back tonight

Last edited:

kristian82

Feb 26, 2020
This is really cool my young Platinum Soldier, can you tell me what are your plans for grappling mechanics?

Feb 27, 2020
This is really cool my young Platinum Soldier, can you tell me what are your plans for grappling mechanics?
Gonna be playing a few old school snes/ ps1 era wrestling games and seeing if anything clicks and gives me more solid ideas before I settle on anything, buying the animations for those will probably be pricey for me so thats' going to be one of the last steps. Something similar to Undisputed 3 is what I have in mind but my ps3 is dead and it's been years since I played so I don't remember everything about it, unless I can get an emulator to run my disc will have to wait till I get a PS5 because I'm not buying another PS3

Feb 27, 2020
I've never used it, but looking at some of the website I think I can write up some quick pseudo-code with some comments on what it is doing so that you could do some stuff, but I can't help you on the actual programming language the engine uses because I don't have experience in C#. If you have to, check out stackoverflow.com for your programming needs. I usually type in something programming related that I don't know how to do in a particular language along with the keywords of the name of the language with stackoverflow in my search on Google, and usually I get the result I want within the first 2-3 search results.

On second thought I think I'd rather try to do it solo. That way I am only wasting my own time if it never gets finished. I can just settle for more basic controls if I have to, something I can already kinda do with a tutorial.

mfan773

Shake 'em off
Jun 14, 2015
On second thought I think I'd rather try to do it solo. That way I am only wasting my own time if it never gets finished. I can just settle for more basic controls if I have to, something I can already kinda do with a tutorial.
Nothing wrong with a little help along the way; after all it is still a learning process. I wouldn't help directly with your project because I don't know the technology behind this project, but I could probably help guide you in the right direction. It would also benefit me as well because I have had an interest in developing games, but never started.

mfan773

Shake 'em off
Jun 14, 2015
Gonna be playing a few old school snes/ ps1 era wrestling games and seeing if anything clicks and gives me more solid ideas before I settle on anything, buying the animations for those will probably be pricey for me so thats' going to be one of the last steps. Something similar to Undisputed 3 is what I have in mind but my ps3 is dead and it's been years since I played so I don't remember everything about it, unless I can get an emulator to run my disc will have to wait till I get a PS5 because I'm not buying another PS3
Can't go wrong with a similar style to Nintendo 64's WWF No Mercy. It was praised for its grappling for the time.