Any questions for Stephen "Wonderboy" Thompson?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Spoke to Stephen last week about doing a Video Q&A w/ us, and he was all for it. Such a genuinely good dude. As you know, he rematches Tyron Woodley for the Welterweight title at UFC 209 on March 4th. So maybe he will be holding the belt when he answers our questions :)

Please feel free to leave your questions below. I'll leave the thread up for about a week, and then email the questions to him.

Maybe give him a shout out as well & wish him luck. Thanks all.

Twitter: @WonderboyMMA
Facebook: Stephen Wonderboy Thompson | Facebook
Instagram: Stephen "Wonderboy" Thompson (@wonderboymma) • Instagram photos and videos

Last edited:

sparkuri

I invented generators alongside Nikola Tesla
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
FROM THE LAST Q&A THAT DIDN'T GET ADDRESSED.
IT'S ALL GOOD...

"Hi Stephen.

First off, a warm welcome to TMMAC!

We all wish you safe training, and full success in this sport.
You are one of the highlights, and indeed showcases on every card you're on.

So here's my question:

(You've probably answered this one before)

Your nickname, "Wonderboy", is famously known as the nickname of Roy Hobbs, the fictional character in the movie The Natural, a story about a once promising baseball player who's struck with tragedy, comes back to the game at 40+, and makes a big splash.
His bat (Wonderboy), he handcarved from his frontyard tree which was struck and split by lightning the night of his father's funeral.

What connection(if any) is there to the movie reference nickname and your own?

What parallels/emotions are present or invoked when thinking about destiny, accomplishment, and the legacy you want to leave in this sport and beyond?

Thanks Stephen in advance, and best of luck in the future!"

TheFifthScallop

Who am I kidding? I’m a whore.
Amateur Fighter
Nov 15, 2015

Spoke to Stephen last week about doing a Video Q&A w/ us, and he was all for it. Such a genuinely good dude. As you know, he rematches Tyron Woodley for the Middleweight title at UFC 209 on March 4th. So maybe he will be holding the belt when he answers our questions :)

Please feel free to leave your questions below. I'll leave the thread up for about a week, and then email the questions to him.

Maybe give him a shout out as well & wish him luck. Thanks all.

Twitter: @WonderboyMMA
Facebook: Stephen Wonderboy Thompson | Facebook
Instagram: Stephen "Wonderboy" Thompson (@wonderboymma) • Instagram photos and videos
Welterweight*

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
How hard does Tyron hit?

Is he the hardest puncher you've faced?

Ask Chris if he remembers Pergelini from Hofstra and how we all used to chill in his room.

Is Dana white a piece of shit. Don't answer just Nod that will do just fine lol jk.

Good luck bro! Get that belt!

seekntruth

#keepladyhands
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
What's up Wonderboy!

How's it feel knowing you're about be crowned the NEW UFC Welterweight Champion? That is all, good luck sir.

TheFifthScallop

Who am I kidding? I’m a whore.
Amateur Fighter
Nov 15, 2015
Who are some guys in other divisions, you really enjoy watching?

Favorite kick?

Mishima Zaibatsu

TMMAC’s resident musician
Feb 27, 2016
Hey Wonderboy!

Who are your martial arts heroes? Whether theyre actors, teachers, fighters etc.

I know that your whole family does Karate but what made you want to be a Kickboxer/Fighter in general?

Youre a really respectful guy and I appreciate that about you, but Im curious, has there ever been a fighter you disliked or didnt respect?

Have you ever tried to pull off a front kick KO like Anderaon Silva or Lyoto Machida?

How do you add power to the spinning hook kick?

Would you ever fight in Glory or a similar Kickboxing ruleset?

What are your favorite types of music?

Do you play any instruments?

If you werent a pro fighter what would you be?

Last edited:

Ghost Bro

Wololo ~Leave no turn unstoned
Nov 13, 2015
Was it hard listening to Woodley campaigning for any fight apart from you?
What was the aftermath of the first fight like? You said you felt like you could've done more. Woodley has a tendency to back up against the fence, what is the practical difference in the last fight compared to the Hendricks fight whom you had no issue finishing against the fence?

Rooting for you bro, go get that title.

regular john

Muay Thai World Champion
May 21, 2015
Stephen, thanks for your time we really appreciate you for doing this.

How does the new weigh-in policy affect your weight cutting process?

Do you consider moving up/down in weight?

If you become WW champion, will you pursue money fights? Would you fight the MW champion?

Do you look forward to fight against Demian Maia? Do you think if you become champion you have to fight him next?

What was the hardest fight in your kickboxing career?

Do you look forward to fight against the best kickboxers in the world in your weight?

Do you follow kickboxing? If so, who do you consider the best at your weight range?

Would you like to sign a multi platform deal and be able to fight both mma and kikboxing?

Last edited:

Ghost Bro

Wololo ~Leave no turn unstoned
Nov 13, 2015
LOL...."weigh in police" was good indeed. but this unit wouldn't ever be complete without street patroller Jon Anik - real po-leece.

Anik is the meter maid learning the ropes from the hardnosed Joe.

Joe has a good moral compass but delivers justice with a hammer, trying to save every situation before it gets to the

Eggsecutive Chief

Who really loves intervening in all situations while in reality he's not needed.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
What's up Wonderboy. Can you share a quote or mantra that has stuck with you over the years to help you stay focused or motivated?

Who was a harder puzzle to solve, Rory or Tyron?

What surprised you most about fighting Rory?

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
How do you feel about Tyron constantly trying to turn the media surrounding your fights into a race issue?

I have read that GSP does not want to fight you since you have trained together in the past. Is fighting current or prior teammates something you are adverse to or is this a special circumstance?

You showed incredible will and determination in the first Tyron fight. What or who do you attribute your mental and physical strength too?

Thanks for taking the time to do this and good luck in your upcoming title fight.

Last edited:

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Why did you feel the need to hit me repeatedly?

When you fought Rory in Ottawa was the in cage temperature as uncomfortable as it was in the rest of the arena?

p.s. If you heard any booing during that fight it had more to do with the heat than anything. I think by that time everyone was so damn hot they wanted a finish so they could go home.

M

member 1013

Favourite town/venue you've fought in?

Most memorable moment in your career?

Favourite TMMAC poster? (Say me please)

Thanks

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #ASSBLOODS
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I was recently reading some mma books, in particular frank shamrocks and mark hunts. In it they both discussed transitioning into a well rounded mma fighter, my question is this, how difficult did you find the transition given your kickboxing history. Did you catch any ads kickings in the early days that surprised you?

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
Hi Stephen,

My name is Whineron Sookley.

Why are all of your fans racist and can you list in order the top 10 reasons why Nick Diaz deserves to fight for the belt more than you?

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Stephen,

How has having your dad corner and manage you impacted your family dynamic?

What do you think fighters should do to get more of a share of the revenue the UFC generates?

IschKabibble

zero
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Hi Stephen,

Can you detail some of the more significant encounters you've had with concussions, both giving and receiving?