Sports Any Tennis fans on here?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
M

member 3289

I guess my Tennis Channel stream switched to a different network but I missed the end.

Rafa wins 6-1, 1-6, 6-3

He's honestly a bit lucky. Zverev was serving up a break at 3-2 in the third set. Then there was a longer rain delay (there had been a 5-min one) and after it ended Rafa came back out and dominated.

Roland Garros starts in one week. Slower surface than Rome or Madrid, plus with 5 set matches, so I don't see anyone being able to put up a serious challenge against Nadal (as long as Nadal is fit).

M

member 3289

Big, big win. Rafa needed to win the title here to regain his #1 spot.

And because of the way the ATP point system works with points resetting on an annual basis before each respective tournament, Rafa needed to win the Rome title to regain his #1 spot.

He lost a few hundred points by going out in the QF in Madrid (a tournament he won in 2017). But because he lost in the 2017 QF in Rome, he's basically balanced his points out by winning Rome this year.

Not sure how much sense that makes or if you guys already understand the point system used for rankings. Let me know if you need further clarification.

lueVelvet

WHERT DA FERCK?
Aug 29, 2015
Big, big win. Rafa needed to win the title here to regain his #1 spot.

And because of the way the ATP point system works with points resetting on an annual basis before each respective tournament, Rafa needed to win the Rome title to regain his #1 spot.

He lost a few hundred points by going out in the QF in Madrid (a tournament he won in 2017). But because he lost in the 2017 QF in Rome, he's basically balanced his points out by winning Rome this year.

Not sure how much sense that makes or if you guys already understand the point system used for rankings. Let me know if you need further clarification.
Makes sense to me. Basically if they don’t win what they won last year they lose those points and thus their rankings suffer from that loss. It’s an interesting way to rank players and seems to be a rather solid system, for tennis anyway.

We were out watching a play this morning (Orlando Fringe Festival this week) so I missed the final but was keeping track of the scores while in line etc. I’m glad to see Rafa pull it out to get those points and keep his #1 spot. Maybe we’ll get another Rafa/Fed final in Roland Garros. :)

M

member 3289

Makes sense to me. Basically if they don’t win what they won last year they lose those points and thus their rankings suffer from that loss. It’s an interesting way to rank players and seems to be a rather solid system, for tennis anyway.

We were out watching a play this morning (Orlando Fringe Festival this week) so I missed the final but was keeping track of the scores while in line etc. I’m glad to see Rafa pull it out to get those points and keep his #1 spot. Maybe we’ll get another Rafa/Fed final in Roland Garros. :)
Federer has pulled out of the entire clay season. Did the same last year. He's older and clay is his worst surface. And he knows he can't beat Rafa on clay.

Best we can hope for is Nadal-Djokovic, but that'll depend on whether they land on separate sides of the draw. Novak, despite his high level of play this week, is going to drop even more (from #18 to #22) in tomorrow's rankings because he was runner-up at this tournament last year.

lueVelvet

WHERT DA FERCK?
Aug 29, 2015
Federer has pulled out of the entire clay season. Did the same last year. He's older and clay is his worst surface. And he knows he can't beat Rafa on clay.

Best we can hope for is Nadal-Djokovic, but that'll depend on whether they land on separate sides of the draw. Novak, despite his high level of play this week, is going to drop even more (from #18 to #22) in tomorrow's rankings because he was runner-up at this tournament last year.
Ahhh ok. I haven't been keeping up like I used to but this year has piqued my interest a bit more.

M

member 3289

benjo0101 @benjo0101 lueVelvet @lueVelvet in regards to what I was saying about climate/altitude conditions

Nevertheless Nadal - who begins his defence against Ukraine's Alexandr Dolgopolov - deflected talk of lifting the Coupe des Mousquetaires for an 11th time following his win in Rome.

"Conditions in Paris are completely different," he said. "I don't believe that what happened, even if I lost - even with the victory - creates a big impact about what can happen in Paris."

French Open 2018: Rafael Nadal favourite, no Andy Murray or Roger Federer, Serena Williams 'can win'

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
benjo0101 @benjo0101 lueVelvet @lueVelvet in regards to what I was saying about climate/altitude conditions

Nevertheless Nadal - who begins his defence against Ukraine's Alexandr Dolgopolov - deflected talk of lifting the Coupe des Mousquetaires for an 11th time following his win in Rome.

"Conditions in Paris are completely different," he said. "I don't believe that what happened, even if I lost - even with the victory - creates a big impact about what can happen in Paris."

French Open 2018: Rafael Nadal favourite, no Andy Murray or Roger Federer, Serena Williams 'can win'
All racquet sports suffer massively with altitude and humidity changes. Wimbledon is a different game when the roof closes ala Murray vs Fed the year before he won it.

M

member 3289

All racquet sports suffer massively with altitude and humidity changes. Wimbledon is a different game when the roof closes ala Murray vs Fed the year before he won it.
Djokovic said that a big factor in why he lost the first-set tiebreak to Nadal in Rome was that when they changed ends when tied at 3-3 in the tiebreak, he (Novak) had to hit against the wind, which "is huge against Rafa".

He wasn't making excuses, more just explaining the minute factors that can make or break a match.

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
Djokovic said that a big factor in why he lost the first-set tiebreak to Nadal in Rome was that when they changed ends when tied at 3-3 in the tiebreak, he (Novak) had to hit against the wind, which "is huge against Rafa".

He wasn't making excuses, more just explaining the minute factors that can make or break a match.
Absolutely

lueVelvet

WHERT DA FERCK?
Aug 29, 2015
benjo0101 @benjo0101 lueVelvet @lueVelvet and anyone else let me know if you guys want to play a friendly prediction game with the draw. We can fill in our picks using the draw I posted above. Whoever gets the most picks right is the winner, or we can do a points thing where points go up each round.

Here's the link to the pdf file:

https://fft-rg-site.cdn.prismic.io/fft-rg-site/60ce325b-1342-47d4-b1e3-618b08ed8e59_men_s_singles_20180525195259.pdf
I’m terrible with that shit so I’ll save myself the embarrassment lol

M

member 3289

Easy win for Nadal. Like I imagined, it's going to be Nadal v Gasquet. I haven't kept up with Gasquet in a while but I expect Nadal to walk all over him.
Yeah the first round he had a relatively tough opponent in Bolelli. Southern Europeans grow up on clay courts, so they're not gonna be pushovers, even for the greatest clay court player ever.

The Roland Garros app is great btw. Notifies me when the players I've marked as "favorites" (Nadal and Djokovic) are about to play, and it also send me a notification with the result as soon as my favorite players' matches end.

M

member 3289

Zverev serving for the match in a 5-setter, Djokovic just lost the second set (won the first set) of his match.