Any WWII history buffs? Pics

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Simpleman

First 100
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg These are pics from the Japanese surrender. This was the plane that brought them. This is my grandfather's (RIP) journal. These haven't ever been seen before. Well in about 60 years or so.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
RIP Grandpa Simpleman. And thanks for sharing. Love WWII history.

Bluesville

First 100
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I find it fascinating.

My grandparents and their siblings were all involved in one way or another.

Grandads were both in the Navy. Both on the Atlantic crossing. My Nan's brother was at El Alamein (got wounded), his brother was in the army too although he had a better outcome the boat he was being transported on ran aground off Egypt and he spent the rest of the war in dry dock getting drunk.

My Nan herself worked in a munitions factory in Liverpool which got gassed.

Her sisters were just kids at the time but they were evacuated from Liverpool and had to go and live with a family in Wales for the duration of the war.

Simpleman

First 100
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I have a whole photo album of these. I'm taking them to the WWII museum soon to see if they want copies. There's one with that Japanese shrine left standing after the bomb.

B17

Mar 15, 2015
I should be able to get some cool pics to share. My grandfather flew a B17. I have flight maps, etc...all kinds of stuff. I have a really detailed on of Boehmer Forest, which is also known as Bohemian Forest. Its amazing that these pilots did all this shit with pencil and paper.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I should be able to get some cool pics to share. My grandfather flew a B17. I have flight maps, etc...all kinds of stuff. I have a really detailed on of Boehmer Forest, which is also known as Bohemian Forest. Its amazing that these pilots did all this shit with pencil and paper.
Would love to see this!

teamquestnorth

Lindland never cheated
Jan 27, 2015
So he was in the European theater? How many missions did he fly? I think u had to complete 25 before u could go home.

Bomber crews had the 2nd highest casualty rate in the war I believe. Submariners were first.

It would be scary as hell flying through an AA barrage and getting shit at by messchermidts.

B17

Mar 15, 2015
I don't know the exact number but I know he flew nearly 4x the amount of required missions.

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Amazing stuff man. I LOVE looking at these kind of pics. My grandfather was also a WWII vet and was part of the Normandy invasion. I may be able to get some cool photos online to contribute too.

Simpleman, you said these pics have been unseen for 60 years or so. Did you just recently find them? If so WOW, that must have been amazing. Did your grandfather's journal have written entries about the times too? Must be truly fascinating to read... Great post and THANKS for sharing.

ManDingo

Your Mother’s Lover
Dec 10, 2021
Nice bump!
My gramps was in the air corp and stationed in england during the war. Was going through a binder of old pics at my dad’s and there was pics of bombers and stuff.

Growing up I didn’t even realize he was in the Army lol
Never heard him talk about it.