General Anybody ever hired a shipping container.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Jesus h christ vehicle shopping in NZ is gonna be a nightmare.
Fuck all for inventory, over inflated prices, and now Jacinda is gonna slap a $5000 tax on trucks?? Wtf?

BJTT_Kiwi

My member is more well known than yours
Jun 25, 2015
Jesus h christ vehicle shopping in NZ is gonna be a nightmare.
Fuck all for inventory, over inflated prices, and now Jacinda is gonna slap a $5000 tax on trucks?? Wtf?
Don't worry too much, I've got a couple of mates in the automotive industry (Motoring Journalist & Data/Analytics provider) who work with all of the Manufacturers.
If you're buying new, it's easy enough to get the best discounts. My Q5 had a $130k window price and I got it for $100k.

ShatsBassoon

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Don't worry too much, I've got a couple of mates in the automotive industry (Motoring Journalist & Data/Analytics provider) who work with all of the Manufacturers.
If you're buying new, it's easy enough to get the best discounts. My Q5 had a $130k window price and I got it for $100k.
Don't want to dump that much $ into a new vehicle. Rather use my funds for business startup or pay off portion of our house.
I'm notorious for working the bag off my trucks, I ride em hard and put em away wet!
Buying new just isn't a feasible or logical option. Add on the fact that I will literally have zero credit, there's not a snowballs chance in hell I'd qualify for financing.

Nice flex with the Q5 though! ? Solid ride!

ShatsBassoon

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
BJTT_Kiwi @BJTT_Kiwi So I was reading a bit about this ev/hybrid rebate program that Adern has proposed. Essentially it's a program that will cost trades/farmers to subsidize latte drinking, leftist hipsters?
Is it just the trucks (utes) that are being taxed or all large engined vehicles?

BJTT_Kiwi

Jun 25, 2015
Don't want to dump that much $ into a new vehicle. Rather use my funds for business startup or pay off portion of our house.
I'm notorious for working the bag off my trucks, I ride em hard and put em away wet!
Buying new just isn't a feasible or logical option. Add on the fact that I will literally have zero credit, there's not a snowballs chance in hell I'd qualify for financing.

Makes a lot of sense. We can talk more once you're this side of the equator.
Finance isn't too hard to get here - we had just got back from 14 years in Australia, with no (relevant) credit history in NZ and the dealership sorted it out for us.

M

member 1013

Mr fancy pants!!

BJTT_Kiwi

Jun 25, 2015
BJTT_Kiwi @BJTT_Kiwi So I was reading a bit about this ev/hybrid rebate program that Adern has proposed. Essentially it's a program that will cost trades/farmers to subsidize latte drinking, leftist hipsters?
Is it just the trucks (utes) that are being taxed or all large engined vehicles?
The Government pays for the discounts by putting a fee on emitting vehicles – meaning the scheme doesn’t end up costing the Crown. The fees go up to $5175 for a new import or $2875 for a used import. The charges could be relatively small - the Mitsubishi ASX would incur a fee of $530.

The policy only applied to the import market, the market for used vehicles wouldn’t be affected.

ShatsBassoon

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
The Government pays for the discounts by putting a fee on emitting vehicles – meaning the scheme doesn’t end up costing the Crown. The fees go up to $5175 for a new import or $2875 for a used import. The charges could be relatively small - the Mitsubishi ASX would incur a fee of $530.

The policy only applied to the import market, the market for used vehicles wouldn’t be affected.
Haven't looked too much into it, but from what I gathered the farmers are upset, and justifiably so.
I would get it if there was a comparable option electric truck, but it doesn't look like anything will be available in the next 5 years

BJTT_Kiwi

Jun 25, 2015
Haven't looked too much into it, but from what I gathered the farmers are upset, and justifiably so.
I would get it if there was a comparable option electric truck, but it doesn't look like anything will be available in the next 5 years
Yup, absolutely.
Taxcinda has copped a lot of shit about this stupid idea.
It was firmly rejected by the public in '19 but she put it in anyway.

And you're right, there are no real alternatives available at the moment for farmers etc.

ShatsBassoon

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Yup, absolutely.
Taxcinda has copped a lot of shit about this stupid idea.
It was firmly rejected by the public in '19 but she put it in anyway.

And you're right, there are no real alternatives available at the moment for farmers etc.
It is a stupid idea. It's stealing from Peter to pay Paul, and from what I've gathered, NZ doesn't really have the greatest infrastructure in place to support EVs. Seems like trucks were singled out because Aderns supporters all think that trucks are solely driven by dude bros, and fail to realise how versatile a pickup truck actually is.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015

why do you have zero credit?

BJTT_Kiwi

Jun 25, 2015
I think I enter on June 29th/30th so yeah pretty close.

I have no idea where we they are going to locate us. Fingers crossed not rotorua
Five-star ratings

There are five different five-star hotels being used as managed isolation facilities around the country. Four of these are in Auckland; Grand Mercure, Pullman, SO/Auckland and Stamford Plaza. The fifth five-star hotel is the Grand Mercure in Wellington.

Won’t bother with the 4*

Three-star ratings

And then there are the three-star hotels. There six of these around the country, including three in Rotorua, one in Hamilton, one in Auckland, and one in Wellington.

If you land in New Zealand and are told you're being bused to Rotorua, know you're heading to a three-star hotel. The three hotels there are the Rydges, Ibis and Sudima.

ShatsBassoon

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Five-star ratings

There are five different five-star hotels being used as managed isolation facilities around the country. Four of these are in Auckland; Grand Mercure, Pullman, SO/Auckland and Stamford Plaza. The fifth five-star hotel is the Grand Mercure in Wellington.

Won’t bother with the 4*

Three-star ratings

And then there are the three-star hotels. There six of these around the country, including three in Rotorua, one in Hamilton, one in Auckland, and one in Wellington.

If you land in New Zealand and are told you're being bused to Rotorua, know you're heading to a three-star hotel. The three hotels there are the Rydges, Ibis and Sudima.
It's all going to come down to allocation. They will fill up one hotel and then move to the next.
Not just location, but we are concerned about accommodations. With 2 kids we are hoping to get rooms that are joined, or worst case, rooms across the hall from each other.

BJTT_Kiwi

Jun 25, 2015
It's all going to come down to allocation. They will fill up one hotel and then move to the next.
Not just location, but we are concerned about accommodations. With 2 kids we are hoping to get rooms that are joined, or worst case, rooms across the hall from each other.
With a family, from what I’ve seen now with the change in spots available with Australia opening up (and a couple of mates that have done it) families get preference on the good spots - suites etc

You’ll be right mate