General Anybody ever hired a shipping container.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
M

member 3289

Excellent exchange rate right now. Locked in a healthy sum at 1.14.
Potential to go down even further by end of the month when I cash out the business.
Doesn't look like it will be this good when her paid out for the house, mid June.
How's the purchasing power parity doe? A 14% exchange surplus doesn't mean much if shit is 1.3x more expensive.

Namean?

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
How's the purchasing power parity doe? A 14% exchange surplus doesn't mean much if shit is 1.3x more expensive.

Namean?
Yup. Food and liquor is somewhat comparable. Tools and equipment is significantly more expensive. I've been preparing for that though. I've been buying tools and gear, for the last year, just for that purpose.
Chainsaw that cost me $1350 here is $2750 over there.

M

member 3289

Tools and equipment is significantly more expensive. I've been preparing for that though. I've been buying tools and gear, for the last year, just for that purpose.
You buying a shit ton of electrical outlet converters as well?

ShatsBassoon

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
You buying a shit ton of electrical outlet converters as well?
Sold most the power tools, keeping the pneumatics and hand tools. Will reinvest profits from sale of business, telehandler and truck towards power tools.
We've bought a couple convertors for household appliances. Fortunate that the tvs stereo and electronics are dual voltage.

ShatsBassoon

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Well everything is packed, documented, inventoried and labeled. Staged in our dining and living room. Waiting for the shipping container. Couple odds and ends like mattresses and TVs. Living like crack heads outta suitcases now.
Kids are going fucking nuts, but whatcha gonna do right?

Having a BBQ tonight for a few close friends/colleagues.

View: https://streamable.com/fc95gs

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Well everything is packed, documented, inventoried and labeled. Staged in our dining and living room. Waiting for the shipping container. Couple odds and ends like mattresses and TVs. Living like crack heads outta suitcases now.

Come pack my house. Thanks.

FINGERS

TMMAC Addict
Nov 14, 2019

Don't go! I'm sorry! We can make it work! I will leave my wife! You are right.

Please. Give me one more chance to prove it.

ShatsBassoon

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Come pack my house. Thanks.
My wife is the heart and soul of this operation, I'm the lowly backbone.

She's saved us at least $10,000 by organizing the cleaning, packing, documenting our possessions.
We are paying $8000 to pack ourselves. Any outfit that does the packing and shipping as a package, charges $16,500+ and we would lose time by having everything done at an earlier date.
We might have to pay a couple grand to have things fumigated if it gets flagged, by customs, but that is a risk regardless if we did it or they did.

Last edited:

ShatsBassoon

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Moved another $50,000 @ 1.37

Hopefully the exchange rate stays on par when we get paid out on the house.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
My wife is the heart and soul of this operation, I'm the lowly backbone.

She's saved us at least $10,000 by organizing the cleaning, packing, documenting our possessions.
We are paying $8000 to pack ourselves. Any outfit that does the packing and shipping as a package, charges $16,500+ and we would lose time by having everything done at an earlier date.
We might have to pay a couple grand to have things fumigated if it gets flagged, by customs, but that is a risk regardless if we did it or they did.
We started slowly packing last week. 1 month to go before we drive half way across country convoy style, with a toddler.