Anyone else do bodyweight workouts for strength?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Surely you can't rep out on handstand push ups or weighted pull ups.
Definitely not! I haven't tried handstand push ups or adding weight to pull ups yet (I'm pretty limited with gear as far as adding weight). Based on how the overhead press feels with dumbbells, I imagine the handstands will be difficult for me. Adding weight to pull ups would also be good. The pull ups is where I've noticed the most improvement. In the beginning, doing 5 sets of anywhere between 5 to 10 reps would nuke my arms. Chin ups were easier, but wider grip pull ups were tough at the beginning. I can knock my pull up sets out now (10-15 reps) and still have juice to do the other exercises.

I could have been more specific, but I was referring to the exercises I have been doing like dumbbell curls, and squats, standard push ups, etc. I only have a set of 20lb and 30lb dumbbells at the moment. So it isn't hard for me to exceed 5 reps with those weights on some of the exercises I've been doing. Again, I'm pretty novice at this, so I've just been going after it with what I have (including my limited knowledge). Even though I may not have the best or most ideal routine, it's better than the zero strength exercises I was doing :)

I like your idea for the DIY dip bars. Dips are definitely an exercise I'd like to add in.

Brigsy

Jan 21, 2015
Leigh, one other if you don't mind indulging me please? How do you add weight to the split squats? I'm guessing you can split squat way more than you can hold? And the same for the hyperextensions? Do you do those across the dip bars? With weight?

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Leigh, one other if you don't mind indulging me please? How do you add weight to the split squats? I'm guessing you can split squat way more than you can hold? And the same for the hyperextensions? Do you do those across the dip bars? With weight?
Yes, I do the hyperextensions on the bars. I have a piece of foam to make it more comfortable. You could use a pillow or something. I hold a medicine ball behind my head. You could use a weight plate.

For the split squats, I hold a 20kg dumbell. Here's how I equate it to a regular squat:
Regular bodyweight squat = no extra weight.
One legged squat with bodyweight is the same as weighing twice as much, so equivalent to squatting with an additional 70kg.
Adding weight to a one legged squat is equivalent to adding double that weight to a regular squat.
Therefore, a single leg squat with 20kg is equivalent to a 110kg regular squat, but without the lumbar loading. It's a little light and I should go a bit heavier.

Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
Yes, I do the hyperextensions on the bars. I have a piece of foam to make it more comfortable. You could use a pillow or something. I hold a medicine ball behind my head. You could use a weight plate.

For the split squats, I hold a 20kg dumbell. Here's how I equate it to a regular squat:
Regular bodyweight squat = no extra weight.
One legged squat with bodyweight is the same as weighing twice as much, so equivalent to squatting with an additional 70kg.
Adding weight to a one legged squat is equivalent to adding double that weight to a regular squat.
Therefore, a single leg squat with 20kg is equivalent to a 110kg regular squat, but without the lumbar loading. It's a little light and I should go a bit heavier.

Hope that makes sense.
Can I add my BW to whatever I have on the bar when I squat tonight?

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
No, or you'd be a world record holder
lol I assure you that Im in no danger of that, so how is a single leg squat with 20kg equivalent to a 110kg regular squat in terms of force required to complete each lift? this isnt rhetorical I just suck at physics

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
lol I assure you that Im in no danger of that, so how is a single leg squat with 20kg equivalent to a 110kg regular squat in terms of force required to complete each lift? this isnt rhetorical I just suck at physics
If you do a single leg squat, you can count the load as half your bodyweight. Add the 20kg. Now double it to determine the two leg squat equivalent.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
If you do a single leg squat, you can count the load as half your bodyweight. Add the 20kg. Now double it to determine the two leg squat equivalent.

Oh right I thought you were saying its the same as havnig 90 on the (20kg) bar which you werent. Makes perfect sense now.

Tuc Ouiner

Posting Machine
May 19, 2016
don't forget your neck bridges, rope climbing. walking on your hands is good stuff too. gorilla bar stuff. just the mastering your bodyweight from different angles stuff. good luck.